Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, trees don't move for campers!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a little mishap we had 2 trips ago. We were visiting relatives and staying in a KOA that looked to have been a former pine tree plantation. The sites were skinny with lots and lots of trees and one way roads. When we went to leave we weren't even close to being able to make the turn out of the site. Thankfully the people across from us had left, so back and forth I go pulling foreword and backing up, trying to maneuver the camper in very tight quarters. After a number of times back and forth I thought I had cleared everything. I was turning to my left and couldn't see the back right of the camper and I misjudged my clearance. I ended up brushing heavily against a tree. Thankfully the tree was leaning away and I only caught the bottom of the camper. $2600 later we will have a new outside kitchen door and a new long piece of 14" material between the back end and the slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	30277

It could be much worse and we still have been able to use it. My real frustration is that the trees had no limbs or foliage until quite a ways up, so they offered no privacy. I think they could stand to lose a few of them.
    Last edited by Timmer; 10-21-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab