User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some things to think about before you start. Ask yourself how much you use your awning. I am sure some use it regularly, but for us, camping in the forest under the trees is the way to go! Our awning was to one side of our door, so it really did not even give that much protection from the rain, so it stayed off. I brought some dimmer compatible rope lights from amazon and wired them on to the awning dimmer switch. I installed the lights so they covered the holes left by the upper awning bracket. Another discovery I made by accident is there is a Rustoleum spray paint that is a dead match for the base color of the outside of my trailer. After I repaired my damaged fiberglass, I masked off the area, gave it a couple of coats of spray paint, put some RV wax on it, and you can hardly tell there is a repair from a few feet away. For the screw holes left by the awning, I took the above advice and put screws back in their place so that they could be easily found in case I or a future owner wanted to replace the awning. Before I installed them, I painted the heads with the above mentioned spray paint, and put silicone on the heads to insure that they would not leak.
    Sorry for your misfortune, but don't despair, it happens to all of us!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thornhill View Post
    Just some things to think about before you start. Ask yourself how much you use your awning. I am sure some use it regularly, but for us, camping in the forest under the trees is the way to go! Our awning was to one side of our door, so it really did not even give that much protection from the rain, so it stayed off. I brought some dimmer compatible rope lights from amazon and wired them on to the awning dimmer switch. I installed the lights so they covered the holes left by the upper awning bracket. Another discovery I made by accident is there is a Rustoleum spray paint that is a dead match for the base color of the outside of my trailer. After I repaired my damaged fiberglass, I masked off the area, gave it a couple of coats of spray paint, put some RV wax on it, and you can hardly tell there is a repair from a few feet away. For the screw holes left by the awning, I took the above advice and put screws back in their place so that they could be easily found in case I or a future owner wanted to replace the awning. Before I installed them, I painted the heads with the above mentioned spray paint, and put silicone on the heads to insure that they would not leak.
    Jim

Do you have a color number for the paint ?

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Good post Jim
    I have applied many gallons of westsystem epoxy and all their different additives depending on the project (over 30+ years of building and fixing boats).
    I can't speak highly enough of the quality of these products.

Rob
    Will that make the hole strong enough to use with another awning? We will most likely replace the awning and I'm worried the screws ripping out if the holes means those holes are no longer strong enough to support another set of awning arms. Thanks.

Yeah, we thought about not replacing the awning but that was a short conversation haha. We have little kids so it does a good job in some situations keeping them outside but out of the sun.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yeah, we know we use/like the awning so it's a definite replacement. I need to double check the roller and canvas to see if at least that is salvageable. Pretty sure I saw a dollar bill sized tear in the canvas though. That's a project for next month though. For now I just want to get the hole on the slide patched, roof edge covered in eternabond and screws back in their holes to prevent any water damage.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    Will that make the hole strong enough to use with another awning? We will most likely replace the awning and I'm worried the screws ripping out if the holes means those holes are no longer strong enough to support another set of awning arms. Thanks.
    Before you fill the hole, try to figure out what's behind it. The choices are likely:
    1) An aluminum wall stud
    2) A metal mesh layer bonded to the back of the luan ply wall
    3) Nothing other than the luan plywood.

Since the new awning attachment will cover this hole, I would go with a threaded insert that spreads the load behind the wall surface and takes a bolt rather than a screw. The type of threaded insert depends on what you can learn about what's behind the hole. A quality epoxy would still be a good idea to bond the threaded insert into place.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, I am on the road and the paint is at home, so I can't give you a lot # but the color was Rustoleum Gloss Almond. I have a 2015 Reflection 29 RS and it is a near perfect match. I don't know if GD has kept their skin color consistent over the years or not. What I did to find this was look around the house for something that was a close color to the skin of the trailer. I found an old slide container box that was very close, so I took it with me to Home Depot and started comparing colors until I found one that was close.

In my case, I only ripped out a few of the screws. To cover the holes I used #12 x 1/2" screws. The main reason I used silicone to seal them was that some of them were a little loose. If I ever replace the awning, in these holes I would use #14 screws to hold it securely.
    Last edited by Jim Thornhill; 03-31-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, I am on the road and the paint is at home, so I can't give you a lot # but the color was Rustoleum Gloss Almond. I have a 2015 Reflection 29 RS and it is a near perfect match. I don't know if GD has kept their skin color consistent over the years or not. What I did to find this was look around the house for something that was a close color to the skin of the trailer. I found an old slide container box that was very close, so I took it with me to Home Depot and started comparing colors until I found one that was close.

In my case, I only ripped out a few of the screws. To cover the holes I used #12 x 1/2" screws. The main reason I used silicone to seal them was that some of them were a little loose. If I ever replace the awning, in these holes I would use #14 screws to hold it securely.
    Mine kind of did the same. The only screws that ripped off were the lower & middle on one arm and the lower on the other arm. Both arms top 4bolts stayed and just ripped the metal of the arm. I can only guess those are screwed in to metal framing since they didn't pull out. The others were secured I'm to plane old siding.
    My lag bolts were already size 1/4 so I got 5/16 lag bolts for the next awning. (Already got the screws prior to reading the recommendation about threaded inserts)
    Last edited by wstcoaster07; 03-31-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12