User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Water infiltration in roof, need some advice...

So, long story short, Google decided to save me literally 30 seconds by routing me down a narrow road. It was pitch black where I was, pouring rain, and easy to miss the sign. Naturally, we ran into a car going the other direction and, rather than back up and move out of our way, he just sat there blinding me with his high-beams and waiting for me to pass. Well, we did, and everything seemed ok.

We get to our campground, and notice there's water on the floor in the bedroom. Well, I have a warranty issue (leaky AC due to it not being leveled properly) which leaked in the exact same spot. We thought, welp, must be the same issue, except there's nothing we can do about it really...

Nope. Turned out, when we cut over to pass this idiot, we must have clipped a branch. It ripped off my powered TV antenna (and my awning end cap, but that's small beans), which left a nice hole in my roof for the torrential rain to flow into. Excellent. Worst part was, we didnt realize what it was until we got home today, 2 days after the incident (and almost 2 days worth of rain in the mean time).

Short term: I've got it covered with a plastic bag and tape to hold it down.

Long term: my appointment with my dealer isn't until the END of September as it is, which is extremely frustrating, but what else am I going to do? I'm concerned about all that water up in the ceiling panel rotting/becoming moldy. Is that paneling easily removed at all? I'd love to get up there and dry it out, at least...

Any other recommendations are welcome...

Model is a '19 Momentum 351M, btw.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
    Any other recommendations are welcome...
    Sorry to hear of your trouble.

The following two products are enthusiastically recommended by folks here for permanent roof repairs:

http://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-WHI...f+sealing+tape

https://www.amazon.com/501LSD-1-Main...+sealant+white

Sorry, I don't know about getting into the roof to dry it out. Hope someone else jumps in with that. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Sorry to hear of your trouble.

The following two products are enthusiastically recommended by folks here for permanent roof repairs:

http://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-WHI...f+sealing+tape

https://www.amazon.com/501LSD-1-Main...+sealant+white

Sorry, I don't know about getting into the roof to dry it out. Hope someone else jumps in with that. Good luck.
    Yeah, The hole in the roof is from the base of the antenna, that is still firmly mounted. No reason to remove it until it's repaired/replaced. I already have the EternaBond, so...

Just need to figure out a way to hopefully dry out the ceiling a bit? Maybe a dehumidifier?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself some duct, tape a makeshift attachment down to the hole really good, like super duper good and connect a dehumidifier. Think the duct sitting over the hole with plastic square taped to that duct in the middle of the square and the square's sides taped over the hole. That will suck the moisture from inside the roof and get it dried in there. Once you're satisfied it's dry, fix the hole and eternabond.

You can even take out the max air fans and maybe get access to the truss area of the roof that way and do the same thing.

Getting the moisture out ASAP is important. The dehumidifier can do that just have to isolate the truss area properly.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Get yourself some duct, tape a makeshift attachment down to the hole really good, like super duper good and connect a dehumidifier. Think the duct sitting over the hole with plastic square taped to that duct in the middle of the square and the square's sides taped over the hole. That will suck the moisture from inside the roof and get it dried in there. Once you're satisfied it's dry, fix the hole and eternabond.

You can even take out the max air fans and maybe get access to the truss area of the roof that way and do the same thing.

Getting the moisture out ASAP is important. The dehumidifier can do that just have to isolate the truss area properly.
    I like it. Ordered a dehumidifier and Ill hit lowes tomorrow...thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd post a follow-up on this!

It took literally 5 months for my dealership to finally fix the combination of repairs and warranty work. They literally had it longer than I owned it.

A quick cliffs notes of all the repairs that I remember, that had to be done:

• Replace the roof covering - turned out, a gash was created by the tree branch that brushed against my roof and ripped my antenna off
    • Replace the antenna
    • Repair the rear garage door pneumatic strut (still not completed - they just removed it until a better solution could be found)
    • Replace the inner door going from living space to garage (frame was crooked which made for tough opening/closing)
    • Replace the sliding garage screen (was missing a sweeper on only one part, which mandated an ENTIRE replacement)
    • Repair/replace inner AC unit covers (one AC unit actually had a completely broken stud, so it needed to be replaced. 2 of them whistled annoyingly loud when running)
    • Repair/replace auto-leveling system (would error out in a way that mandated a complete power off to reset, when trying to auto-retract all feet)
    • Replace vinyl graphics on front cap, as it came from the factory damaged where the cap met the roof (not obvious from ground, but I knew it was there and it annoyed me)
    • Probably several other things I'm forgetting

It was long and painful. But I got her back, repaired and good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a lot of repairs. Since we are new to our Imagine and it's almost 11 feet tall I also worry about hitting a branch coming down our street.
    Jim & Kathy
    Gracie, our 14 year old Rescued Beagle, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge with her big sister Bailey
    Suzy our 8 year old rescued Beagle
    2019 2500RL

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd post a follow-up on this!

It took literally 5 months for my dealership to finally fix the combination of repairs and warranty work. They literally had it longer than I owned it.

A quick cliffs notes of all the repairs that I remember, that had to be done:

• Replace the roof covering - turned out, a gash was created by the tree branch that brushed against my roof and ripped my antenna off
    • Replace the antenna
    • Repair the rear garage door pneumatic strut (still not completed - they just removed it until a better solution could be found)
    • Replace the inner door going from living space to garage (frame was crooked which made for tough opening/closing)
    • Replace the sliding garage screen (was missing a sweeper on only one part, which mandated an ENTIRE replacement)
    • Repair/replace inner AC unit covers (one AC unit actually had a completely broken stud, so it needed to be replaced. 2 of them whistled annoyingly loud when running)
    • Repair/replace auto-leveling system (would error out in a way that mandated a complete power off to reset, when trying to auto-retract all feet)
    • Replace vinyl graphics on front cap, as it came from the factory damaged where the cap met the roof (not obvious from ground, but I knew it was there and it annoyed me)
    • Probably several other things I'm forgetting

It was long and painful. But I got her back, repaired and good to go.
    Wow. Thanks for the follow-up.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of repairs. Since we are new to our Imagine and it's almost 11 feet tall I also worry about hitting a branch coming down our street.
    I have a tip:

Don't hit a tree limb lol

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tip:

Don't hit a tree limb lol

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    Those that have and those that will.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast