User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem with mice and i found out why

trying to figure out where these buggers are coming in. i found the floor vent behind the toilet was not ducted and open to the basement. problem #1 . then i removed the cowling on the basement storage area and found a hole big enough for my dogs to crawl thru(behind the hutch). too big to fix. so i call gd and ask them why these holes exist. they said it was "for ventilation." this is my fifth rv and i've never had such a large hole from the basement into my living space.

does this make sense to you all? i can't screen it off because there are wires running everywhere.

any ideas besides dcon?

thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which trailer do you have?

On ours the space through the hutch is the cold air return for the furnace, the furnace sits in the basement and it draws it’s air from the basement area.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess the mice are coming into the underbelly and then just working their way into the inside of the RV. Maybe the underbelly needs inspection / sealing?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop the spare tire. I found a hole above mine that a dog could get thru. Not sure why it has to be that big for a tiny cable.

Brian

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Drop the spare tire. I found a hole above mine that a dog could get thru. Not sure why it has to be that big for a tiny cable.

Brian
    I had the same issue with the spare and sealed it up with Gorilla tape.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that. i checked. there is a hole which i taped up. at least they just slit the vinyl and didn't cut it all out in my case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irish Spring soap (cut into chunks) is a “home remedy” we were told about from other RV’ers. Supposedly keeps the mice out, we haven’t had an issue. Placed the chunks in nooks and crannies where mice would get in or hide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response. irish spring and peppermint oil is laid out everywhere in my rv. north carolina mice must love fragrant scents. you'd think gd would install some sort of rodent barrier like a screen. screens are used in front of vehicle radiators, so i know that air flow would not be greatly impeded.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Doug said above the hole you are referring to under the hutch is the cold air return for the furnace as well as the register behind the bathroom stool. I also made a plywood cover that goes on top of the spare to seal off the opening in the chloroplast above it. I also added a lot of insulation in the cold air return at the hutch and the basement area adjacent to it and it really helped the heating and quieted the furnace noises emiencely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hadn't thought of that. what type of insulation did you use? how did you install it without impeding airflow?

thanks for the good idea.....
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast