User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what size air compressor?

Wondering what size of air compressors are being used for filling 80 PSI tires as well as being able to use 1/2" impact wrench to take dually wheels off or the trailers wheels?
    looking at maybe a Craftsman or maybe Dewalt just not sure of HP, tank size or CFM requirements I will need. Thanks

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer2 View Post
    Wondering what size of air compressors are being used for filling 80 PSI tires as well as being able to use 1/2" impact wrench to take dually wheels off or the trailers wheels?
    looking at maybe a Craftsman or maybe Dewalt just not sure of HP, tank size or CFM requirements I will need. Thanks
    80psi inflation is easy. Breaking lugnuts torqued to 120-130 lbs-ft is not as easy. Whatever impact wrench you have, it's requirements will be on it. Most small compressors are not really what you run high-demand tools like an impact wrench with because there's insufficient volume. You can, provided you're conscientious with the compressor as it will cycle like crazy so you have to watch the heat.

I'm not a full-timer and have a well-equipped garage at home. So on the road I have a VIAIR 12VDC compressor for inflation and a 19.2VDC cordless impact wrench, an 18-inch breaker bar, and a quality torque wrench. The cordless impact wrenches are impressive these days... I also have a 28VDC to break the 1" lugnuts loose on the tractor.
    Last edited by geotex1; 01-01-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VIAIR makes great product, hard to go wrong. I carry a 24" breaker bar and a good torque wrench. It works just fine for the limited use it will get, on the road or not. Actually I carry both as I use the VIAIR only for emergencies but I re-torque my wheels several times after any tire changes and occasionally just when the muse hits.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry a Viair portable compressor for tires and to fill my truck air bags. Without a tank on the compressor you wont run an impact wrench. I keep an 18V Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench (1400 ft-lbf of breaking force) and a set of deep impact sockets for lug nut removal. I also have a decent breaker bar and a torque wrench.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went a slightly different direction for my air compressor. I purchased a 2 gallon Harbor Freight 100 psi. 120v compressor ($50). So far it has worked pretty good but in retrospect I wish I had purchased a 125 psi capacity. I have to run the compressor up to full 100 psi to get the tire up to 80 psi. Since we boondock frequently I always carry a generator to power the compressor. I also carry a DeWalt 1/2" 20 volt cordless impact driver. This driver will remove the lug nuts (1,200 ft/lbs breakaway torque model DCF899) with little effort. When replacing nuts I use a 1/2" torque wrench to confirm proper torque.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have access to AC voltage, the Viar is a solid performer. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B68XGC...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Viair 300P for when on the road and a 150PSI twin tank compressor at home. As for the impact I have a 1/2” DeWalt 20 volt unit it works well. I also keep a torque wrench.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Viaair user here for inflating tires. Very nice (I have the 300P, and I changed out the chuck on the hose for a digital gauge that reads up to 150PSI) and easy for inflating the tires. As others have said, forget about portable air power for an impact wrench, get a cordless instead. I have a full shop at home, and the compressor I have that will run my impacts weighs more than the carrying capacity of my rig. And takes enough power that the lights dim 3 houses away when it turns over. (not really, but thought that would be funny). It takes a BIG air compressor to spin an impact wrench with enough force to get something done. Yes, air powered impacts are awesome, I like using them a lot at home, but it's just not realistic or feasible for road usage unless your gonna carry a monster compressor (think gasoline powered).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a 20v Dewalt impact tool and the 20V Dewalt air compressor Model# DCC020IB. It uses the same battery as the impact tool. I was surprised how quickly it can top off tires. It also took a spare tire from 25lb. to 80 Lbs in about 8 minutes. Nice and compact to save storage.
    Ron & Dianne

2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2012 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel, SWR

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Compressor: 3 gallon tank, 150psi, 120v

Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer2 View Post
    This is going to seem like overkill but stick with me a few minutes. I opted for a 120 volt compressor. Here’s why:

After studying the 12 volt air compressor specifications and product reviews of many 12 volt compressors I decided since I have a 120 volt generator I’d purchase a much more reliable 120v compressor.
    Argument for the 120 volt compressor:
    Since the most likely scenario for airing a tire is to only raise the pressure in a low tire from say 50 psi to 60 psi then what is needed is a compressor that can move a “high” volume of air into a relatively high starting pressure of 50 psi (a low tire). In the past several years I’ve burned up two 12 volt compressors airing tires on my riding lawn mower. Though frustrating, I could just move the mower closer to the garage and fill the tires with my 20 gallon Sears compressor. If I’m camping in a remote location, I don’t have the luxury of finding a 20 gallon Sears compressor sitting idle waiting for me. I was hoping to find a reliable 12 volt compressor but after reading the reviews of many of them I’ve concluded: 1) they struggled to top off a large tire in a short period of time, often taking as much as 30 minutes, and 2) the compressor cylinder is so small and the duty cycle is so short (usually 5 minutes run, 5 minutes off) that to avoid cooking the compressor it should really take as much as an hour to top off even one tire. Neither the performance nor the reliability impress me. If the compressor gets to hot it can even melt the synthetic rubber hoses. This happened to my last harbor freight 12v compressor.
    What is needed is a compressor with a large enough cylinder to fill a flat tire at high pressure in a short time. In the end I opted for this 3 gallon, 150 psi, 29 pound, 120v compressor that will move 2.8 cubic feet of air at 90 psi. It has a 50% duty cycle. Cost was $109 at Menards after the 11% rebate.
    Fini Advanced™ 3-Gallon 150 PSI Portable Electric Hotdog Air Compressor
    Model Number: F3OL197N Menards® SKU: 2079001

Menard’s has several versions of this compressor with various options and even different piston sizes. This write up is for the Fini model F3OL197N.

Here’s the performance of the F3OL197N:
    To raise the pressure on a LT275/65R18 tire from 50psi to 60psi will require 2.17 cuft of air, or 17.36 gallons of air. This 28 pound, 3 gallon tank can be filled to 150 psi, unplugged from the outlet, carried to the low tire and when the tank pressure drops to 90 psi the tire has been inflated from 50 psi to 60 psi. That process only takes about 2 minutes. (assuming the truck tire is an LT275/65R18). Carry the compressor back to the 120v source, pump it up to 150 psi (30 seconds) and go do another tire. In this scenario, the compressor is well within the 50% duty cycle rating and you’re topping off tires at the rate of 2 minutes per tire.
    In actual practice, what is described above (and below) is exactly what happened. The math predicts the outcome and I was amazed that that is what actually occurred.
    For those who are interested in the math it’s included below. For those who don’t care about the math you can skip the rest of this write up.
    ‘--------------------------------------------------
    Here’s the math:
    My tow vehicle tires, LT275/65R18, actual measurements were:
    Radius is diameter divided by 2.
    R2 = 31” / 2 R1 = (17” – 1”) / 2 (wheel actually measured 17”)
    H2 = 10” H1 = 10”

R1 is 17 – 1 because the inside of the metal wheel is not flat, it’s convex, so it holds more air.
    Determine the volume of the tire: LT275/65R18
    V2 = [ pi * (R2*R2) * H2 ] – [ pi * (R1*R1) * H1 ]
    Where V2 is the volume of the tire
    Pi = 3.14
    R2 = radius of the outside diameter of the tire ( R2 squared )
    H2 = width of the sidewalls of the tire (what holds air, not just the width in contact with the ground)
    R1 = radius of the metal wheel – 1” ( R1 squared )
    H1 = width of the metal wheel

Therefore:
    V2 = [ pi * (R2*R2) * H2 ] – [ pi * (R1*R1) * H1 ]
    V2 = [3.14 * (15.5 squared) * 10] – [ 3.14 * (8 squared) * 10]

So the volume of my LT truck tire is:
    V2 = 7543 – 2009 = 5533 cu in = 3.20 cu ft = 25.62 gallons
    (1728 cu in per cubic foot and 8 gallons per cubic foot)

‘-----------------------------------------
    How much air will it take to inflate the tire to 60 psi?

V2 = (P1 * V1 ) / P2

Where:
    V2 = volume of air required to fill the tire to the desired air pressure
    P1 = desired air pressure
    V1 = volume of the tire
    P2 = static air pressure (assume 14.7 psi)

Therefore:
    V2 = (25.62 gallons * 60 psi ) / 14.7
    V2 = 104.57 gallons or 13.02 cu ft.

In order to inflate the tire to from zero to 60 psi I’ll need to pump in 13.02 cu ft of air or 104 gallons.

If I do the same math but assume a desired air pressure of 50 psi then the tire will hold 10.85 cu ft of air.

Therefore: to top off a tire from 50 psi to 60 psi I’ll require 2.17 cu ft of air or 17.36 gallons of air.

From above:
    To inflate from 50 psi to 60 psi I’ll need:
    13.02 cu ft - 10.85 cu ft = 2.17 cu ft or 17.36 gallons

Let’s see what the 3 gallon Fini model F3OL197N can do for us; recall it will inflate to 150 psi and holds a volume of 3 gallons.

V2 = (P1 * V1 ) / P2
    V2 = (150 * 3 ) / 14.7 = 30.61 gallons of air at 150 psi
    Assume I fill the 3 gallon compressor tank to 150 psi, carry it to the low tire and inflate the tire from 50 psi to 60 psi, what will the pressure dial on the tank read: 150 – 60 = 90 psi.

And, I will have removed 11.63 gallons of air from the tank or 1.54 cu ft. The compressor will pump 2.8 cu ft of air per minute at 90 psi. So the tank can be refilled in about 31 seconds and ready for the next tire.

V2 = (P1 * V1 ) / P2
    V2 = [(150 – 60) * 3] / 14.7
    V2 = 90 * 3 / 14.7 = 18.37 gallons remaining in the tank

From above:
    30.16 gallons (filled) – 18.37 gallons (remaining) = 11.63 gallons was removed

The tank held 30.61 gallons (at 150 psi), it still holds 18.37 (at 90 psi) gallons so we removed 11.63 gallons of air (at a falling pressure).

So the bottom line is:

The 3 gallon Fini model F3OL197N seems like the ideal, light weight compressor for topping off low tires while staying within the duty cycle of the compressor (allowing it to cool off between fills). Allowing you to top off 8 tires in about 15 minutes. Assuming you have access to 120 volts when you need it. If you were to run the compressor full time while filling tire after tire you would violate the 50% duty cycle and risk cooking the piston/cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast