User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Detours and/or Complicaitons

We are hoping to leave next week to head West to Idaho and/or Yellowstone area. Reading on SOB boards there are posts from members mentioning issues traveling in places where pop-up rioters are closing down interstates, freeways, and/or roads. For those of you currently traveling, have you experienced any issues with this and if so, what advice can you offer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t mention where you are coming from but if coming through Denver avoid I225 and East side I70. In fact don’t go through Denver at all, even without the protests the traffic and construction are hell. If you do come west on I70, take the E470 tollway East of Denver, go north to 25 to Cheyenne and west on 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post
    You don’t mention where you are coming from but if coming through Denver avoid I225 and East side I70. In fact don’t go through Denver at all, even without the protests the traffic and construction are hell. If you do come west on I70, take the E470 tollway East of Denver, go north to 25 to Cheyenne and west on 80.

Agree. Denver is awful. I will not travel through denver ever again. There are dips in the interstate that will knock you out of your seat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post

You are correct. That would be most helpful. We are coming from NC area. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions though. Happy Travels

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    You are correct. That would be most helpful. We are coming from NC area. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions though. Happy Travels
    Not sure where in NC, but family in Raleigh said I-40 has been blocked a few times by protesters/rioters. Also have heard about I-40 issues in Asheville and Nashville. Isolated incidents being reported here in VA (I-95 in NOVA and I-64 in Richmond). Friends of ours are currently in Nebraska heading to CO on I-80. Left from NJ about 10 days ago and traveled thru northern Indiana. They have had no issues but are trying to bypass major cities.

Fleet of Angels horse transporters issued a travel advisory for their drivers back in early June. I haven't seen anything come across my screen lately, but haven't checked their site either.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled I-20/I-95 from Georgia to Maryland the Saturday of the biggest protests in DC... no issues other than the usual heavy traffic going around the loops of the major cities. The protest activities tend to be in downtown areas. Two nights before there had been some violence in Charlotte, where we stayed two nights. We were advised by the park management to stay away from downtown - no issues for us. Since then, we have driven from Aberdeen, MD, to Richmond, VA, twice to visit my mother-in-law. We used the loops around Baltimore and DC and took what Richmond calls the loop on the west side to her place. Again, no issues. We try to plan our travels for Tues, Wed, or Thursday when populated areas are involved in order to avoid weekends and travel other than during rush hours (though that's an illusory concept in Baltimore and DC). The only delay we've had during these travels was yesterday when a car fire had the east-bound lanes of 495 blocked on the southeast side of DC. We were about 1.5 miles back in the line while the car was still fully involved (lost of smoke). The fire was out and the wrecker arriving by the time we rolled by 25 minutes later. The poor guy looked like he was having a really bad day - but I digress. Just plan your routes around downtown areas and you'll be OK.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to be pretty unlucky to be impacted by protests/riots. These things are so much more isolated than it appears on TV. Starting on June 7th, when things were at their worst, we traveled from San Diego to Oregon and back. We bisected Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Jose and never saw a thing. If we had ignored the news, we wouldn't have known anything was even happening. Traffic was mostly light, campgrounds were mostly full and people were out trying to enjoy themselves. For two weeks, there was very little COVID, riot, Trump or Biden talk anywhere we went. American flags were flown prominently by many. We camped locally for the 4th and the same applied. More than ever, we all deserve a break right now.

Do your due diligence and check news and traffic reports, but get out and enjoy yourself.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    You would have to be pretty unlucky to be impacted by protests/riots. These things are so much more isolated than it appears on TV. Starting on June 7th, when things were at their worst, we traveled from San Diego to Oregon and back. We bisected Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Jose and never saw a thing. If we had ignored the news, we wouldn't have known anything was even happening. Traffic was mostly light, campgrounds were mostly full and people were out trying to enjoy themselves. For two weeks, there was very little COVID, riot, Trump or Biden talk anywhere we went. American flags were flown prominently by many. We camped locally for the 4th and the same applied. More than ever, we all deserve a break right now.

Do your due diligence and check news and traffic reports, but get out and enjoy yourself.
    Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad your trip went without any issues. This will be our first long extended trip and we want to make sure it goes as smooth as possible. I totally agree with you on the news; I haven't watched any of them in over a month. My mom who loves GMA visited us for a couple weeks with no news; she no longer turns the TV on in the morning. Chooses for peaceful relaxed mornings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We traveled I-20/I-95 from Georgia to Maryland the Saturday of the biggest protests in DC... no issues other than the usual heavy traffic going around the loops of the major cities. The protest activities tend to be in downtown areas. Two nights before there had been some violence in Charlotte, where we stayed two nights. We were advised by the park management to stay away from downtown - no issues for us. Since then, we have driven from Aberdeen, MD, to Richmond, VA, twice to visit my mother-in-law. We used the loops around Baltimore and DC and took what Richmond calls the loop on the west side to her place. Again, no issues. We try to plan our travels for Tues, Wed, or Thursday when populated areas are involved in order to avoid weekends and travel other than during rush hours (though that's an illusory concept in Baltimore and DC). The only delay we've had during these travels was yesterday when a car fire had the east-bound lanes of 495 blocked on the southeast side of DC. We were about 1.5 miles back in the line while the car was still fully involved (lost of smoke). The fire was out and the wrecker arriving by the time we rolled by 25 minutes later. The poor guy looked like he was having a really bad day - but I digress. Just plan your routes around downtown areas and you'll be OK.

Rob
    Thank you Rob for your feedback too. We will be looking at/working on finalizing our exact route this week. Have a blessed weekend.