User Tag List

Thread: Generator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator

So I’ve been thinking about adding an onboard generator, at some point, but my question is for those who have had either portable or onboard generators. Which would you prefer? I ask because I have two Honda 2200 generators but it seems like it would be a pain having to pull them out set everything up and get them going. It seems like the onboard generator would be easier but louder.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 Westinghouse igen4500 for my 337rls and those are loud enough when 30ft away from my bedroom slide. I personally can't imagine having a diesel generator that close to my bed.

I'm not traveling with my RV right now, but if I was I would add a rack to the back hitch to carry my generators and run them there, further away from my bed than an onboard.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a 3.6 Onan in the front compartment of my Reflection... Got a used one with low hours at a good price... Installed myself... made a firewall of 18 gauge steel sheet.... glued heat & sound insulation to the firewall...and I believe it's quieter than 2 Hondas ... Hondas are extremely quiet at low rpm....BUT when you load them up to run an AC, you won't make many friends in the campground! This is really a personal choice... What type of camping you do?... For us being able to pull over anytime.. crank the generator. turn on the AC for the dog... and do what we need to do, with no fuss... made our choice...
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    I installed a 3.6 Onan in the front compartment of my Reflection... Got a used one with low hours at a good price... Installed myself... made a firewall of 18 gauge steel sheet.... glued heat & sound insulation to the firewall...and I believe it's quieter than 2 Hondas ... Hondas are extremely quiet at low rpm....BUT when you load them up to run an AC, you won't make many friends in the campground! This is really a personal choice... What type of camping you do?... For us being able to pull over anytime.. crank the generator. turn on the AC for the dog... and do what we need to do, with no fuss... made our choice...
    We primarily go to parks with full hook ups; however, we want the ability to stop whenever we need to & turn on the generator for AC etc. we have plans to do some future boon docking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mjlebsa;380839]So I’ve been thinking about adding an onboard generator, at some point, but my question is for those who have had either portable or onboard generators. Which would you prefer? I ask because I have two Honda 2200 generators but it seems like it would be a pain having to pull them out set everything up and get them going. It seems like the onboard generator would be easier but louder.

Here’s my Onan P4500i set up, when docking where a gen. set is needed. We only run the bedroom A/C so any noise from the gen. set is mitigated by the A/C. I also installed a small a/c fan plugged into the generator to maintain air flow.
    It’s actually quieter than the 10k Onan? in our former Class A and no vibration.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6E5F63AD-1B47-44B1-9B9E-E5E2969116D2.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	35319
    This is the transport position,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BAE5E92-EB15-4B1A-85F7-845477A11A62.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	35334
    Last edited by Skilletface; 07-09-2021 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Added comment
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run a Champion inverter generator - taking it in and out of the truck whenever we wanted to use it was kind of a pain. I mounted it on the rear bumper of the RV and just leave it there unless I know we're not going to need it for a few months.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS