User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @huntr70 follow up question - does the hot water heater need to be on when we pump in the anti freeze?

I ask because I ran across a week old post on a GD Facebook page from an owner who said he properly pumped anti freeze into the Furrion and confirmed via the two drains.

The water tank on his unit burst, and that got me wondering if the tank itself is bypassed if the hot water heater is Off when we pump in the antifreeze?

The more I think of it the more I think that's likely. If the water heater is off, there's probably no mixing going on in the water tank. Which means I've gotten lucky so far because I've had my heater off both times I winterized.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our camper, during the delivery walk through we were told that you need to keep the hot water heater open, even though the directions say for winterizing to shut it. If its shut, you dont get the antifreeze through the water heater. Its tankless, so you do not waste gallons of antifreeze on the tanked version because there is no tank. You leave it in the on position so antifreeze can get throughout the heater.
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 6.7 Cummins SRW
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 278BH

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmullin View Post
    @huntr70 follow up question - does the hot water heater need to be on when we pump in the anti freeze?

I ask because I ran across a week old post on a GD Facebook page from an owner who said he properly pumped anti freeze into the Furrion and confirmed via the two drains.

The water tank on his unit burst, and that got me wondering if the tank itself is bypassed if the hot water heater is Off when we pump in the antifreeze?

The more I think of it the more I think that's likely. If the water heater is off, there's probably no mixing going on in the water tank. Which means I've gotten lucky so far because I've had my heater off both times I winterized.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    You don't need it physically turned on, like as in trying to make hot water. You need it in normal operating position on the valves. If the person only checked the drains, it may not have been fully winterized. You really just have to turn on the hot water faucets and run until you get pink at all hot water outlets. Again, with the water heater valve in the normal run position.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Bill,

Since the tankless/on-demand water heaters are fairly new - and limited to certain model lines - many of us on the forum don't have any experience with them. Perhaps @huntr70 can tell you something or someone will come along who knows about these water heaters. Good luck.

Rob
    Tankless water heaters are not new, just maybe new on trailers. We had one on our 2012 Tiffin Phaeton motor home. I don't remember the name or model number, but it was not a Furrion. The motor home did have a bypass valve, but it was disconnected and it didn't do anything. The motor home spent a few winters up on NY and we never had a problem. Tankless water heater models should have the heater bypass disconnected IMHO.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Tankless water heaters are not new, just maybe new on trailers. We had one on our 2012 Tiffin Phaeton motor home. I don't remember the name or model number, but it was not a Furrion. The motor home did have a bypass valve, but it was disconnected and it didn't do anything. The motor home spent a few winters up on NY and we never had a problem. Tankless water heater models should have the heater bypass disconnected IMHO.
    I should have said they were relatively new to the GD lines. I've been aware of Escapees and folks on RV-Dreams using them for years. I'm not a big fan of Furrion products and, perhaps, GD's two mistakes were using Furrion units and not taking care with the installation design and insulation (along with the issue with their tech writers not getting the winterizing procedure correct).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    When we got our 295RL in the fall, our dealer also told us not to follow the diagram when equipped with the tankless and instead gave us a revised diagram to follow for the Furrion tankless.
    Would you mind sharing that diagram if you can. I''m getting ready to use our 295 for the first time this season and had the dealer winterize it while it was up there for warranty work after we picked our up this past september so hopefully I won't have this problem with the tankless.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    Would you mind sharing that diagram if you can. I''m getting ready to use our 295 for the first time this season and had the dealer winterize it while it was up there for warranty work after we picked our up this past september so hopefully I won't have this problem with the tankless.
    Here is the diagram the dealer gave us and told us to follow it rather than what is in the manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3920.jpg  
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Here is the diagram the dealer gave us and told us to follow it rather than what is in the manual.
    Thannk you luvmyrv.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m thinking that owners are not following the Furrion User Manual for winterizing the water heater. On page 13 of my manual the first step is to blow compressed air thru the unit. This is done with all faucets closed and all drain plugs installed with the exception of the water heater drain plug and filter cover which should be removed.

The second step is to run antifreeze thru the water heater while the rest of the RV is being winterized. This second step is optional. The bypass valve can be used to avoid running antifreeze thru the water heater.

This fall I did both compressed air and antifreeze with no problems when I dewinterized.

I think both GD and Furrion should be doing a better job of educating dealers and owners about winterizing this new product.
    2017 F-250 Diesel
    2021 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same problem on 22 Reflection tankless water heater.

Have the same issue with my 2022 Reflection 297RSTS. Upon sanitizing the rig found a significant leak in the water heater itself. I don’t know if they can fix vs. replacement of the heater. General RV indicated that they’ve had a rash of this issue this year. Now just wait to hear back from GD on a warranty replacement. Only have 2 trips on a unit purchased last August.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast