User Tag List

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Reflection 327 fifth wheel. My propane regulator was defective and replaced under warranty by the Grand Design mobile repair crew at Quartzite in 2019. I will have to research the replacement regulator # to see if it is on the defective list. The mobile crew was awesome and worked morning to night working on GD units in attendance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I if I did it myself, my trailer's VIN would not be cleared from the NHTSA VIN database since I am not certified.
    Which might be a problem if I wanted to sell.
    You have a good point. Still, on a trade in the Dealer can clear and re-sell. A private sale could be different depending on one's moral compass and the Buyer's due diligence. Personally, I would inform the Buyer of everything I have done on the trailer including the propane reg. replacement. If it's gonna blow I'm guessing it would have happened by then.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t wait until tomorrow so I went out and checked. It looks like the replacement regulator is a Fairview so I don’t believe it’s on the list of recalls. It states Winn-Tec as the recall units on the information I viewed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    There really isn’t anything more involved changing the regulator than swapping out your propane tanks when empty or need filled

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    agreed... its clearing the recall on my camper thats stopping me.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am late to this replacement party. I am still in the holding pattern. Dealer gets in 4 regulators for who knows how many trailers are in line. In the meantime, we still want to camp. I am thinking of picking up a non-auto change over regulator that has the same specs as the Winntec 6020 as an emergent spare. Not sure that there are any reliable autotransfer regulators available. If things get scary swap it out and keep going. I normally run with the 2nd propane tank isolated anyway, just want to know when the 1st tank is empty. If I have to install the single reg. it won't be that much more to swap it to the other tank. In the mean time I will still be working up the list at the dealer to get the recall cleared.

Ok, please shoot holes in this approach.

Thank you,
    Neal
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished installing and testing the new replacement propane regulator from our RV dealership. I put my name on the recall list right after we received notice and just received the regulator a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the RV dealership service center is booked out for months but I convinced them to allow me to replace the regulator ( it helps to know several people there) and note that it was properly replaced. Our recalled regulator never failed or gave us any trouble. The rv dealership also stated they’ve never seen one fail so they were surprised that they were recalled in the first place. We accepted the risk and kept using our trailer through the summer with the recalled regulator. I’m leaving Friday for an elk hunt so I figured I better get the new regulator installed and tested since I had it on hand.

The new regulator is a Cavagna brand, appears to be made in NJ and appears to be a higher quality piece. The Winntech was made in China. With the new regulator, I should be able to check the tank changeover status from the small top lid on the bottle cover. The replacement regulator is this one: https://www.propaneproducts.com/chan...acket-889.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4572-S.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	37558

I’m posting this as a reference to how I did it, not as a guide on how you should do it. I have some background with instrumentation so I felt completely confident and comfortable performing this repair and the proper steps to take should I find something wrong or something does go wrong. YMMV.

As far as testing, no I’m not “certified” but I understand and know how to perform the tests. I didn’t have a manometer but I also knew how to make a simple but functional one. I used them many times when I worked at a power plant. I do know that I absolutely didn’t want to wait 3-4 months for the RV dealership to complete this simple replacement. I also thought it would be a fun little project for my youngest kid and myself to do together. We used blue food coloring for better visibility against the wood. I also had most of the parts on hand to make a test manifold, post regulator. For the orifice, I used a #41 drill bit through a pipe plug.

Valves all closed, no pressure.

Name:	IMG_4563-S.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	37559

Tank valves open, test manifold open, test orifice closed, propane lines pressurized. Just about 14” WC. right at lock up pressure. I let it hold this pressure for 30+ minutes while I took a call and to watch for pressure creep.

Name:	IMG_4568-S.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	37560

Next, I opened the orifice to simulate a high use scenario. The regulator held 11” WC. with ease. I let it flow for a minute to watch for pressure drop off. After isolating the orifice, I checked the regulator lock up pressure again and let it sit for some time to watch for pressure creep.

Name:	IMG_4565-S.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	37561

Next, I performed a drop test. Tank valves closed, Test manifold valves open, orifice closed. I dropped the line pressure to 8” WC. and let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I noted the drop. It dropped .25” in ten minutes, indicating a very, very small leak somewhere in the system, possibly from one of the appliances or even a temperature variance but, in my opinion, not worth isolating all the appliances to chase it down. I rechecked all the connections throughout the trailer with soapy water just to be sure though.

Name:	IMG_4570-S.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	37562

With all three tests complete and I was satisfied with the results, I removed the test manifold, hooked the propane line up to the regulator and checked again for leaks with soap and water. I then tested each gas appliance to make sure it would fire up easily. All done!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job I was trying to go down a similar path but GD wouldn't allow it. But approved that I get out a Certified Mobile RV Tech and they would refund the cost. We had to secure our own regulator which is a Fairview High Capacity Twin Stage Propane Automatic Changeover Regulator FV-GR-9984. which I've had for a couple months, so finally had it schedule for early September but Hurricane IDA hit and that delayed every thing another month. Completed it last week, so just waiting on the refund check at this point.
    BTW our never failed either so I just carried the new one around incase we needed it prior to the swap out.
    Also GD not requiring the old regulator to be returned to them, only requiring pictures. So sort of have an emergency spare.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just received my refund from Grand Design

Quote Originally Posted by quiglenj View Post
    I am late to this replacement party. I am still in the holding pattern. Dealer gets in 4 regulators for who knows how many trailers are in line. In the meantime, we still want to camp. I am thinking of picking up a non-auto change over regulator that has the same specs as the Winntec 6020 as an emergent spare. Not sure that there are any reliable autotransfer regulators available. If things get scary swap it out and keep going. I normally run with the 2nd propane tank isolated anyway, just want to know when the 1st tank is empty. If I have to install the single reg. it won't be that much more to swap it to the other tank. In the mean time I will still be working up the list at the dealer to get the recall cleared.

Ok, please shoot holes in this approach.

Thank you,
    Neal
    UPDATE: I was able to a local RV shop perform the replacement and test using their stock. I was on a waiting list at a dealer which honestly had no idea when they would receive parts from Grand Design. I went into my local dealer to pickup a regulator, all they had was an auto-transfer version. I asked if they have done the work on clearing the recalled regulators and they had. I checked with GD and they said they would cover the cost of the replacement regulator as long as it was not a Winntec, Mr. Heater, or Enerco. They would also cover 90% of the shops hourly rate. It took 25 minutes for the shop to do the replacement and the test. They simply noted the test results of the receipt. I bundle up old and new pics of the regulator and a copy of the invoice and sent them it to them in a email. I just got home from a couple weeks camping and found GD's check in the mail. And I checked and they said they had cleared the recall on the trailer.

Like many have noted the original Winntec had not failed, so I might squirrel it away in the corner as a potential spare.
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Replaced mine with a Mr Heater F273766. Completely removing the regulator and placing it in a vise eases fitting removal and install. Put anti-seize on the threads and done. Mostly good reviews on Amazon on the replacement, bought it at Gander, with member discount and veteran discount I figure I did pretty good.
    I was notified by Grand Design that they wouldn't reimburse me for the Mr Heater F273766 because "it is not an acceptable brand for this recall." They offered to send me a new regulator, so I'm taking them up on that. I've asked them why it's not acceptable, perhaps because it's a higher quality than what they will reimburse for? If there's an issue with it, I'd like to know before I install it. Upgrading to "real" 30# propane bottles at the same time. 20#ers are a joke IMO.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD is probably not liking Mr Heater and Enerco brand units because both have models that are also being recalled.

https://livingsafelyrecalls.wordpres...ne-regulators/
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 04-21-2022 at 07:51 PM.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast