Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bottle jack?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    A bottle jack for changing tires?
    Since RVs do not come with any kind of tire jack you have to get something to change a tire. I think any jack you purchase for the purpose of just changing tires is going to be somewhat heavy. I use the following and its a little heavy but its a safety stand as well as a jack. As long as you get it right under the Ubolts on the axle it will lift it fine without damaging (bending the axle tube) the axle.

RV manufacturers will tell you that you should only lift the RV by the frame, well a jack big enough to lift the RV by the frame is going to be real heavy and you will have to use a lot of blocks under the jack for it to reach the frame and still have enough stroke to lift the tires clear of the ground..
    Ramp type products for changing tires like a Trailer Aid are not recommended by a lot of RV manufacturers because they put too much strain on the suspension (leaf spring strain) , but I have read a lot of people use them.
    That's the same one I use. Has more of a base-footprint than a typical bottle jack but, in my mind, that's what you need for more stability.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to try it out before hand. It generally takes a much heavier duty jack than you would think. My last trailer only had about 2500 lbs. per wheel, but a 3-ton bottle jack would barely lift a wheel, and then only with a huge amount of effort. I replaced it with a 10-ton that does the job easily.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I found with my Trailer Aid I had to add a 2x6 on the bottom to provide enough clearance to change a tire. I carry mine all the time since it takes up less space than my hydraulic jack. I would suggest that you avoid using your truck jack as that thing is inadequate for trailer use.
    I can lift the rear tires high enough with just the trailer aid, but to lift the front tires enough I have to put a 2x8 under the aide. No big deal as I carry several pieces to use under the stabilizers when set up.
    I also carry a 6 ton bottle jack which also works fine.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everyone carries two spares but what good is the trailer aid if you have two flat tires on the same side? It seems like many times when one tire goes, it can ruin the other tire.

Just something to think about. My Ford truck has a bottle jack and I have no issues putting the jack under the axle. Raising the axle high enough to raise the tire. I'll accept all blame if something goes wrong.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Not everyone carries two spares but what good is the trailer aid if you have two flat tires on the same side? It seems like many times when one tire goes, it can ruin the other tire.

Just something to think about. My Ford truck has a bottle jack and I have no issues putting the jack under the axle. Raising the axle high enough to raise the tire. I'll accept all blame if something goes wrong.
    Two flats on the same side at the same time would not be good. I would think both axels would be close to the ground and no way to get a bottle jack under the U bolts. Two floor jacks might work or you would have to jack the trailer from the frame. I carry two bottle jacks with axel saddles, lots of blocks and a trailer aid, plus the truck jack. If we had two flats on one side I may not have enough jacks to get a wheel back on. Since I only have one spare I would be off looking for a new tire.

So, how often do trailers get two flats on the same side at the same time? Anyone here had this experience?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not, but what I've heard was one gets flat and that damaged the other side. Makes sense if you have ever seen a tire that is damaged. I suspect most people would not notice an issue until there is a lot of damage.

The closest thing I had was I had a flat, damaged the trailer a bit, installed the spare, drove a few miles further and had another one on the same side. What a day that was. I suspect TPMS would have made the difference, but that was 15 years ago.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    A bottle jack for changing tires?
    Since RVs do not come with any kind of tire jack you have to get something to change a tire. I think any jack you purchase for the purpose of just changing tires is going to be somewhat heavy. I use the following and its a little heavy but its a safety stand as well as a jack. As long as you get it right under the Ubolts on the axle it will lift it fine without damaging (bending the axle tube) the axle.

RV manufacturers will tell you that you should only lift the RV by the frame, well a jack big enough to lift the RV by the frame is going to be real heavy and you will have to use a lot of blocks under the jack for it to reach the frame and still have enough stroke to lift the tires clear of the ground..
    Ramp type products for changing tires like a Trailer Aid are not recommended by a lot of RV manufacturers because they put too much strain on the suspension (leaf spring strain) , but I have read a lot of people use them.
    X2 on this model!
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the dual axle and an equalizer, you need either a bottle jack with a super tall capability to overcome the equalizer, or you need the drive-onto ramp for the good tire and a regular bottle jack for the tire to change.

I have not done it myself but I watched what AAA did to change and put my spare on when I was parked at my house. It was then I realized I am completely helpless with only the drive-onto ramp due to the equalizer forcing the flat tire to the ground. He used two bottle jacks but said I'd be fine using one plus the ramp. They had to use only their equipment for liability when doing service though. Even though the bottle jack surface seems to put a lot of pressure on the axle it didn't seem much worse than the pressure point the leaf springs place on top of the axle. In fact, it should be the same weight/pressure as well: [GVWR - Tongue_weight]/4

I ended up buying this (8 tons is overkill but I wanted margin) and it only weighs <8 pounds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyway, now I'm confident I can do my own spare swap if I'm ever in a remote area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    My Wife just asked if we should purchase a bottle jack for our TT. or is there something better. Bottle jacks tend to be heavy.
    I carry and use a 12ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight plus several several wooden blocks (2 x 8 blocks, 4 x 8 blocks, etc). Have used it roadside more than once. (dont ask me why;-) on 16K lb 5th wheel toy hauler. get it under or against the u-bolts. Top of the pin is slotted to reduce slippage off the axle. Use the blocks for height adjustments and leveling of the jack, plus the wood blocks can also double as safety blocks under the axle in lieu of a jack stand. Never had an issue and price is right. Weighs a little but its compact.
    Darryl
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R; former was: 2016 Momentum 327M
    2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab DRW, Cummins TD, Aisin, 4.10 rear,
    B&W Companion puck, RDS 60gal aux tank gravity feed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same type of jack in a 6 ton capacity. This jack has a safety latch system that locks as you lift. It’s not light weight. You need a solid jack. I’ve used mine to repack bearings and adjust brakes. I also use a jack stand as a secondary safety measure. Unless you plan on a road side service and wait for hours for them to show up you need a strong safe jack to change a flat tire. So far I’ve not had to use it on the road “knock on wood” lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe & Elaine
    Fur Baby: Desi
    Imagine XLS 18RBE
    Tow Vehicle: 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Bighorn 5.7L

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast