User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    No - we only have two 100AH LiFePO4 batteries in the stock location. Lithium batteries can sit at cold temperatures, they just don't like to be discharged or charged at very cold temps (you can read about it on the Battle Born web site). On a travel trailer, the batteries are sitting outside and more exposed, though - and at higher risk for theft. I would be more worried about that in your case than cold weather.

Rob
    It is my understanding that discharging is OK in cold temps, but they should not be charged below 32F

On edit, from BB website: Battle Born Batteries protect themselves from charging in cold temperatures and won’t accept a charge once the internal cell temperature drops to 24°F. At this point they will continue to discharge even down to -4°F. At this temperature we recommend no longer pulling power to avoid damaging the batteries.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-27-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Are batteries really stolen? I cannot see a thief roaming camp grounds looking for those with lithium batteries. Especially when they are all of the ones I ever see are inside a battery box. Now if you advertise you have lithium batteries in your rig, I would question why that is and lock them up.

The benefits that I see having them mounted internally are, the environment and shorter cables for an inverter.
    Actually, I can see that happening. We used to visit friends at a campsite and they had their fridge stolen. They were on one of those permanent type sites. Imagine someone stealing a house fridge?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    It is my understanding that discharging is OK in cold temps, but they should not be charged below 32F

On edit, from BB website: Battle Born Batteries protect themselves from charging in cold temperatures and won’t accept a charge once the internal cell temperature drops to 24°F. At this point they will continue to discharge even down to -4°F. At this temperature we recommend no longer pulling power to avoid damaging the batteries.
    I did the DIY battery and the BMS I used does have a low temperature cutoff that you can set whatever temperature that you want. In my mind though, I still wanted heat for the battery if needed, so I built an insulated/heated battery box with four 7 1/2W heaters that are 12V and controlled by a digital temperature controller that is also 12VDC and has adjustability to say turn on at 35 degrees and turn back off at 55 degrees. Of course the digital controller also has a RTW temperature sensor, along with the one for the BMS. I feel doubly protected now.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I did the DIY battery and the BMS I used does have a low temperature cutoff that you can set whatever temperature that you want. In my mind though, I still wanted heat for the battery if needed, so I built an insulated/heated battery box with four 7 1/2W heaters that are 12V and controlled by a digital temperature controller that is also 12VDC and has adjustability to say turn on at 35 degrees and turn back off at 55 degrees. Of course the digital controller also has a RTW temperature sensor, along with the one for the BMS. I feel doubly protected now.
    Does anyone have pictures of their battery installs in the pass-through or is that now where you put them?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of their battery installs in the pass-through or is that now where you put them?
    Mine is in the front compartment. That area contains the Onan 5500W onboard generator, and all the hydraulics...pump, motor, and valve. Heated/insulated battery box, battery of course, digital temperature controller for the heating pads, 300A main switch for battery disconnect, aux. fuse panel for the new fridge mod and the power to the digital controller, New Pos. and Neg buss bars, battery BMS on the back side of the box, Victron BMV 712 shunt....and ???

Top view of the BMS on the backside of the battery box....

Still under construction in this pic, but you get the idea...

I need to get a couple more pics with the wiring cleaned up a bit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I can see that happening. We used to visit friends at a campsite and they had their fridge stolen. They were on one of those permanent type sites. Imagine someone stealing a house fridge?
    I think a refrigerator is a bit more tempting than lead acid batteries.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both of you. I may look at the lockable box on the A frame option. If people want in they will get in whether it is in a locked box or behind a locked hatch. At least in my head.
    The lockable box sounds like a simple solution. I agree these things can always be defeated, but sometimes it's just a matter of it being harder to take yours than someone else's
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I think a refrigerator is a bit more tempting than lead acid batteries.
    There was a day that I would have welcomed someone stealing my Norcold 2118! Not so much anymore.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Rob. Could you please share information on your thermostatically controlled heating pads?
    I just tried looking up the heat pads we have on our batteries. It looks like Battle Born may have discontinued them since they now have internally heated batteries (and the cost of the heated batteries is less than my batteries and heat pads combined).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you protecting the batteries at all? For example, I have RC planes. I store them in a bag that if the batteries blow all I should get is smoke and the bag should keep my house from burning down.

I will look into what people are doing about putting the batteries in the TT.
    The batteries are in plastic battery boxes inside an enclosed metal compartment (ventilation no longer need without the lead-acid batteries). I've not heard of a Battle Born LiFePO4 battery "blowing."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast