User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery solar question

Hi, I have a imagine 21bh with solar package. It's only 1 month old. Its been sitting in the sun but batterie was dead. Do I have to disconnect the battery from inside items to keep the battery charged enough to use the electric jack. Is it the fridge that drains the battery so much? Phil

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up parasitic power draws on here. Even if you pull the battery disconnect, there's still some draw like the co2 sensor that stays on. On ours, after a week or 2, the battery is dead. Best to disconnect at the battery to preserve it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a complete solar package, or just a solar battery charger/maintainer? Was your Battery Disconnect Switch turned to "OFF"? What kind of refrigerator, residential, 12V, or absorption? Just one battery?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit608 View Post
    Is it the fridge that drains the battery so much?
    Yes, the 12-volt frig in your unit can draw 3 to 4 amps per hour. That may not seem like much, but over 24 hours that is at least 72 Ah used. The solar package should provide enough power to cover that use if everything is working OK. The stock system can supply about 12 amps with good sun. So if you're getting 6 to 8 hours of good sun, you should be OK. But your unit probably came with a 100 Ah lead-acid battery. Lead-acid batteries can be damaged if discharged below 50%. So in practice, you only have about 50 Ah of usable storage. A couple of cloudy days with the frig running and you've probably run well under the 50% discharge. Bottom line, turn off the frig when not in use. Consider switching to a LiFePo4 battery, faster charging and these can be discharged nearly to 0% without damage.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit608 View Post
    Thank you!
    @spirit608 -

Hi and welcome to the forum! Here are a few forum tips to get you started:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015