User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to get too philosophical here, but these monuments and lands, stirs the mind and thinking of our country's history.
    Anyone trying to understand America, and Americans,,,,, thinking of Crazy Horse's answer to that question, "My lands are where my dead lie buried".

Perhaps, if I can borrow his words, to understand the spirit of America, and we the people of America, one need only think of Ft Washington, Gettysburg, Normandy, Inchon, TET and Afghanistan.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you're into this sort of thing, the South Dakota Air and Space Museum at Ellsworth AFB if really cool, too. It's just outside the gate so you don't have to have an ID or get a guest pass:

https://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/

Rob
    Unfortunately Rob, just saw yesterday the Air & Space Museum at Ellsworth is closed until further notice. It doesn't say why but I suspect Covid. Looks like we will miss touring the Minuteman site as well, they are by reservation only, 90 days in advance, didn't know that. There are no open slots available. Well there are lots of other things to do. Tami and I like the area so much she is already talking about coming back in the future!

Anyone else scheduled to visit the area, check the web site of Ellsworth, maybe they will be open again soon.

We did get our tickets for the 1880s steam train that runs from Keystone to Hill City and back, or the other way around. It's supposed to be sunny and warm Wednesday so we selected an open air car for the ride. We have a couple hours in Hill City before we take the train back.
    Local, Passenger trains stopped running a long time ago. As a youngster I was fortunate enough that my grade school took us on a passenger train ride back in the early 1960 before they stopped running, so I can remember the experience. Nothing like a steam train of the 1900s but still.....
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Unfortunately Rob, just saw yesterday the Air & Space Museum at Ellsworth is closed until further notice. It doesn't say why but I suspect Covid. Looks like we will miss touring the Minuteman site as well, they are by reservation only, 90 days in advance, didn't know that. There are no open slots available. Well there are lots of other things to do. Tami and I like the area so much she is already talking about coming back in the future!

Anyone else scheduled to visit the area, check the web site of Ellsworth, maybe they will be open again soon.

We did get our tickets for the 1880s steam train that runs from Keystone to Hill City and back, or the other way around. It's supposed to be sunny and warm Wednesday so we selected an open air car for the ride. We have a couple hours in Hill City before we take the train back.
    Local, Passenger trains stopped running a long time ago. As a youngster I was fortunate enough that my grade school took us on a passenger train ride back in the early 1960 before they stopped running, so I can remember the experience. Nothing like a steam train of the 1900s but still.....
    We found places on line that said it was closed in May, but called and found out differently.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Rapid City a few months ago and can't wait to go back in Sep when we head back to Ca for the winter. Go to Deadwood and Visit Wild Bill and Calamity Jane's graves! We spent two days there and just walking the main street.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Tami and I had wanted to take a trip out west, we put it off for the last couple years but now........ We planned this trip out west last November. We left Richmond Indiana on the 31st and pulled in today at the Heartland RV Park in Hermosa SD just outside Rapid City. Spent just over $800 in diesel to get here. On the way we stayed over at a couple Harvest Hosts sites, Lavender Crest Winery in Colona IL, exceptional! Then at Pioneer Auto Show & Museum in Murdo SD on I90, Huge! We used HH every other overnight, then traditional campgrounds to fully charge battery and dump tanks.

We started out on the trip getting @ 9-10 mpg but of course the closer we got to Rapid City down went the mileage, barely getting 7 mpg cruising at 65 mph. Climbing a couple long hills we were down to 3 mpg. Truck and rig doing great! I can't say enough about the great highways in South Dakota, exceptional! Smooth, was a pleasure to drive I 90. Heartland RV Park is pretty nice, huge RV park on highway 79 in Hermosa. This evening drove highway 40 into Keystone for dinner, nice drive. Ate at the Ruby House in Keystone, first I ever had a buffalo steak, was pretty good.

We will spend 2 weeks seeing all the sites in the area, hope we can get into the Minute Man Missile silo and 1880s Train Ride. This area of the country is beautiful! Then off to WY and Devils Tower and the areas around it. Living and Loving life! It's worth it!
    Glad you are having a great time in the Black Hills. We are heading to Deadwood tomorrow with our new 22MLS. We go to the BH at least 2 times each year. We headquarter in Deadwood, and explore from there. There is so much to do here you could spend months. Have fun, maybe we will run into you this trip.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty tired this morning, taking the day off. We are really enjoying ourselves, can't you tell?

Let see, couple days ago we spent the day in Badlands National Park, really amazing! Took highway 240 at exit 131 of I 90 into the park. My America The Beautiful Military Veteran pass got us into the park. Really amazing place, I can not imagine that back in the day, trying to drive through the canyons in a model T. National Park Service info panels showed lots of people trying to do just that. There are lots of incredible hiking trails in the park. I was surprised that they let you walk right out on the edge of the cliffs. Following 240 we ended up at Wall exit 110 of I 90 and toured the town and Wall Drug. The donuts are huge and very tasty!!! Tami surely has her shopping bug satisfied for a while!!!

Then yesterday we took the 1880 Steam Train from Keystone to Hill City. The trip is an hour each way. We selected an open car to ride in, or you can select an enclosed car with windows. Spent a couple hours in Hill City, shopping, had lunch and toured the Train Museum, then took the train back to Keystone. $70 for two round trip tickets and spent some money in the gift shop but it was worth it! All the proceeds go to maintaining the train and engines and the rail road. What a treasure! Lots of beautiful scenery through the Black Hills. The old telephone poles along the rail road are the original telegraph poles of the line. A lot of mining history along the route as well.

The rail road does not have a round house so from Keystone to Hill City the engine hooks to the end of the train and pulls it backwards!
    Leaving Hill City going back toward Keystone, the train pulls a steep 6% grade, they say its one of the steepest grades in the US. As we were leaving Hill City (the main rail yard) I saw what looked like pieces of track and round house mechanisms, so maybe they will eventually build a round house turn style. The engine burns used motor oil and 500 gallons of water for the trip. The trains mechanical sounds climbing the grade, "I Think I Can, I Think I Can" and the echo of the steam train whistle at each crossing brings a smile to your face!

The train has been used in several TV shows and movies. Engine 7 was used a lot in Gunsmoke and maybe The Wild Wild West TV series. Not many of these steam engines and old train cars running anymore, it would be a real treat for kids to experience, and for us old folks a remembrance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2959.jpg   IMG_2949.jpg   IMG_2967.jpg   IMG_2968.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-09-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty tired this morning, taking the day off. We are really enjoying ourselves, can't you tell?

Let see, couple days ago we spent the day in Badlands National Park, really amazing! Took highway 240 at exit 131 of I 90 into the park. My America The Beautiful Military Veteran pass got us into the park. Really amazing place, I can not imagine that back in the day, trying to drive through the canyons in a model T. National Park Service info panels showed lots of people trying to do just that. There are lots of incredible hiking trails in the park. I was surprised that they let you walk right out on the edge of the cliffs. Following 240 we ended up at Wall exit 110 of I 90 and toured the town and Wall Drug. The donuts are huge and very tasty!!! Tami surely has her shopping bug satisfied for a while!!!

Then yesterday we took the 1880 Steam Train from Keystone to Hill City. The trip is an hour each way. We selected an open car to ride in, or you can select an enclosed car with windows. Spent a couple hours in Hill City, shopping, had lunch and toured the Train Museum, then took the train back to Keystone. $70 for two round trip tickets and spent some money in the gift shop but it was worth it! All the proceeds go to maintaining the train and engines and the rail road. What a treasure! Lots of beautiful scenery through the Black Hills. The old telephone poles along the rail road are the original telegraph poles of the line. A lot of mining history along the route as well.

The rail road does not have a round house so from Keystone to Hill City the engine hooks to the end of the train and pulls it backwards!
    Leaving Hill City going back toward Keystone, the train pulls a steep 6% grade, they say its one of the steepest grades in the US. As we were leaving Hill City (the main rail yard) I saw what looked like pieces of track and round house mechanisms, so maybe they will eventually build a round house turn style. The engine burns used motor oil and 500 gallons of water for the trip. The trains mechanical sounds climbing the grade, "I Think I Can, I Think I Can" and the echo of the steam train whistle at each crossing brings a smile to your face!

The train has been used in several TV shows and movies. Engine 7 was used a lot in Gunsmoke and maybe The Wild Wild West TV series. Not many of these steam engines and old train cars running anymore, it would be a real treat for kids to experience, and for us old folks a remembrance.

Steven:

You are a great tour guide. Glad Y'all are having a good time.
    Your pictures are also top notch.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

By the way Steve and other folks, I communicated with Dallas @D2Reid last week and he and Barbara are volunteering at Custer State Park this summer. They have been so busy the past few months that he has spent little to no time on the forum here and elsewhere other than occasionally reading PMs. Possibly Dallas will chime in too. As with most of us on the forum, it is always great to meet other forum folks if it works to do so.

Dan
    Indeed it is Dan. We had a meet and greet with Howard and Fran last week, just a little walk along the creek and some really good conversation.

And that's the way good relations start. We all have something in common so it makes it pretty easy. Barb and I are working at the visitors centers in Custer State Park, yes plural, there are 4 of them. The newly opened Bison Center, a large barn like structure dedicated to history of the Bison, how they almost became extinct, the folks that save them, how the CSP herd is managed, the fall Bison auction, and lots of good Bull ********. No really, poop from a bull for the kids to play with. Ok, it's fake poop, but it explains how poop is good.

We are located in the "Volunteer Village" about 1/2 mile from the main visitor center. Closed to the public, little sign on the road says Authorized Personnel Only, but we can authorize you. Set up much like other RV parks, only a little more private. You only get to stay here if you put in a couple of days at the visitor center, they are short of help so if interested let me know.

We will be here until Oct, so communicate if you are in the area.

This area has a lot to offer as mentioned above. And a lot more that is not mentioned. Now that things have settled down for me a bit I will at least try to keep up with quotes, mentions, notifications, and PM's.

Anyway, this is Bubba hanging out in our front yard again. One of the rules for volunteers here is that Buffalo have the right away, we are here to protect them. So, should they be blocking the driveway it becomes an excusable absence if you have to wait for them to move. He's not blocking, he's just helping me keep the lawn mowed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bubba.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	41141
    Last edited by D2Reid; 06-09-2022 at 09:07 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Indeed it is Dan. We had a meet and greet with Howard and Fran last week, just a little walk along the creek and some really good conversation.

And that's the way good relations start. We all have something in common so it makes it pretty easy. Barb and I are working at the visitors centers in Custer State Park, yes plural, there are 4 of them. The newly opened Bison Center, a large barn like structure dedicated to history of the Bison, how they almost became extinct, the folks that save them, how the CSP herd is managed, the fall Bison auction, and lots of good Bull ********. No really, poop from a bull for the kids to play with. Ok, it's fake poop, but it explains how poop is good.

We are located in the "Volunteer Village" about 1/2 mile from the main visitor center. Closed to the public, little sign on the road says Authorized Personnel Only, but we can authorize you. Set up much like other RV parks, only a little more private. You only get to stay here if you put in a couple of days at the visitor center, they are short of help so if interested let me know.

This area has a lot to offer as mentioned above. And a lot more that is not mentioned. Now that things have settled down for me a bit I will at least try to keep up with quotes, mentions, notifications, and PM's.

Anyway, this is Bubba hanging out in our front yard again. One of the rules for volunteers here is that Buffalo have the right away, we are here to protect them. So, should they be blocking the driveway it becomes an excusable absence if you have to wait for them to move. He's not blocking, he's just helping me keep the lawn mowed.

Dallas - thank you, so much for taking time to check in and respond. I knew that Howard and Fran were on a trip and coming through SD but was not aware of their actual track and time table. Good to hear you all got to spend some time with each other.

As I shared in a PM on the other forum, Carol and I may make it out this later summer. We will certainly look you and Barbara up.

And for Bubba (great name !) looks like he needs a little bigger chair. We have nearly identical pictures while camped in the far end sites at Legion Lake a few years ago (we were there for the Buffalo Roundup.....my apologies to Bubba's buddies.) I was cooking breakfast on the picnic table and didn't even know Bubba's buddy was there until I turned around - YIKES !

Enjoy your summer.......and your new lawn mower lol !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post

Hey Dallas, What a wonderful summer experience working in the park. Tami and I stopped at the Bison Center, and spent some time there, a great place!

One of the questions I had was, what is the difference between a Bison and a Buffalo. Well the Bison Center and the information there answered my question. For those reading, you'll just have to find out for yourself, its not what you might think. And yes, I checked out the Poop, Tami passed on that experience!

We are here for another week so maybe we can connect. Our first visit to CSP was cut short because of storms. We plan to visit CSP again in the next few days.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast