User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    While a 2500 would certainly be better, it's not as simple as just taking 16% of trailer weight and saying you're adding that to the truck. That 1250 lbs once WDH is engaged and set up properly is probably more like 800-900 lbs against the truck's payload with the rest born by the trailer axles. A trip to the truck scales with the WDH engaged will show what I mean. Yes, technically the tongue weight is 1250, but it's not all payload.
    I mentioned that I did take the truck trailer combo to the scales. It had a properly employed 1000 Blue Ox Pro a good WDH.

Payload is payload . The WDH doesn’t lighten the trailer does it? No where have I ever read that using a WDH allows you to add more weight but maybe I’m misinformef

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Our 2500RL is between 7400 and 8000 lbs every time I’ve weighed her. That equates to 1250 on the hitch using the industry standard of 16%.

With your 1963 payload you have 700 lbs to play with in the truck. Two average people 300 lbs your are down to 400 lbs left. Add a few camping chairs, clothes , maybe a generator in the truck bed or cab or even another person and now you are near or over it’s limit of 1963 Right where you made the good argument you didn’t want to be.

Our 2500 Ram has 3300 payload capacity. Plenary of spare room to not overtax the vehicle and shorten its life.

With the vehicle you have and the models you mentioned you at at the upper end of its limit if not exceeding it no matter how it feels and how easy it is to tow. Try your 2600 with a 2500 series one day, you will see the fiffrrence
    If you are pushing that weight with your 2500RL, it sounds like you have overloaded your travel trailer. Specs on the 2500RL from Grand Design’s site: UVW: 5,857 lbs | GVWR: 7,495 lbs | Hitch Weight: 581 lbs | Length: 29' 10". It has two axles rated at 3500lbs each for a total of 7000lbs, the remaining 495lbs needs to be on the tongue, but either way it seems you’re overweight on the trailer. The 2600RB has a GVWR of 7850lbs and 4400lbs axles so it has extra capacity in the axles compared to the 2500RL. Either way, it should not weigh more than 7850lbs. Using the standard 16%, fully loaded with the trailer, I should be at 1256lb tongue weight, which equals your number of 700lbs remaining payload. In the bed I have a 75lb ebike, 20lb propane tank, so let’s take another 100lbs off, leaving 600lbs. I’m 200lbs, so that leaves me 400lbs for any other small items that may end up in the truck. That’s all if I max the weight of the trailer. Would a 2500 tow it better? I’d hope so. I’d also expect an F450 to tow it even better. This is also why I said this is as big as I’d feel comfortable with towing with my truck. I’d actually worry about being over my trailer gross trailer weight on a 2500RL more so than being within a few hundred pounds of payload weight on my truck.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned that I did take the truck trailer combo to the scales. It had a properly employed 1000 Blue Ox Pro a good WDH.

Payload is payload . The WDH doesn’t lighten the trailer does it? No where have I ever read that using a WDH allows you to add more weight but maybe I’m misinformef
    This video shows how weight is transferred.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payload is the amount of weight born by the truck axles. Not all tongue weight is payload with proper WDH because some of the tongue weight is born by the trailer axles. The video posted by @goducks14 illustrates this better than I can with words.

People freak out about half tons running out of payload, which does happen, but they often over-calculate the tongue weight's impact on payload and don't account for the weight that gets transferred from the TV to the trailer. That is often what determines whether a TV is over its rated payload or not, and it's why axle weights and axle weight ratings are under-emphasized in the overall calculations.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us with 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have had experience with 1/2 ton truck previously, where others with 1/2 ton trucks rarely have 3/4 ton or one ton experience.....
    Try this. Rent a 3/4 ton truck (I rent from Enterprise - purpose for towing. They add an additional $15 per day, 200 free miles per day) and try it out. I think you mind will be made up VERY quickly.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
    If you are pushing that weight with your 2500RL, it sounds like you have overloaded your travel trailer. Specs on the 2500RL from Grand Design’s site: UVW: 5,857 lbs | GVWR: 7,495 lbs | Hitch Weight: 581 lbs | Length: 29' 10". It has two axles rated at 3500lbs each for a total of 7000lbs, the remaining 495lbs needs to be on the tongue, but either way it seems you’re overweight on the trailer. The 2600RB has a GVWR of 7850lbs and 4400lbs axles so it has extra capacity in the axles compared to the 2500RL. Either way, it should not weigh more than 7850lbs. Using the standard 16%, fully loaded with the trailer, I should be at 1256lb tongue weight, which equals your number of 700lbs remaining payload. In the bed I have a 75lb ebike, 20lb propane tank, so let’s take another 100lbs off, leaving 600lbs. I’m 200lbs, so that leaves me 400lbs for any other small items that may end up in the truck. That’s all if I max the weight of the trailer. Would a 2500 tow it better? I’d hope so. I’d also expect an F450 to tow it even better. This is also why I said this is as big as I’d feel comfortable with towing with my truck. I’d actually worry about being over my trailer gross trailer weight on a 2500RL more so than being within a few hundred pounds of payload weight on my truck.
    Let’s make sure your facts are straight
    GMWR of 2500 rl is 2495. I mentioned I was usually between 7400 and 8000The one time I weighed it at 8000 I transferred a few items to the truck.

We also have upgraded axels at 4000 each even though. At 3500 we were well within specs.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us with 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have had experience with 1/2 ton truck previously, where others with 1/2 ton trucks rarely have 3/4 ton or one ton experience. It is rare to see a person with a 3/4 ton truck downsize to a 1/2ton model.

Take advice from those who have had BOTH size trucks.
    Well then I'm the rare bird here indeed cause I spent 15 years (2003-2018) in a 2500 Duramax. The last 4 years in a 1500 gasser. Different towing, for sure. Not apples to apples. Daily driver? 1500 is MUCH BETTER.
    The question was not what truck is better but rather what size trailer maxes out a 1500. So yes, take the advice of those who have owned and driven both for a long time.

I'm physically and mathematically comfortable towing the 22MLE. We not a full timers nor do we take everything we own when we travel. I've use a Sherline scale and the Cat Scales to set up our rig to allow the best towing experience possible with the 1500. My drive axle weight when loaded is within 60 lbs of its unloaded weight. It steers/handles/starts/stops very well at this weight. So this user is comfortable telling you that a 22MLE is very towable with a 1/2 ton (1500) Chevy. For us, the biggest downside to the 1500 is its small fuel tank size (on the Chevy anyway).
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s make sure your facts are straight
    GMWR of 2500 rl is 2495. I mentioned I was usually between 7400 and 8000The one time I weighed it at 8000 I transferred a few items to the truck.

We also have upgraded axels at 4000 each even though. At 3500 we were well within specs.
    I’m not following your numbers, perhaps there is a typo. If the the GVWR is 7495lbs, that is the maximum weight the manufacture rates the trailer for, including all liquids and cargo, and that number should not be exceeded. It would seem you have been overloaded quite frequently. With 2 3500lb axles, that equals 7000lbs. The reason the trailer is rated for more than the combined axle rating is the tongue weight transfers some trailer weight to the truck so the trailer axles aren’t bearing all the weight. Axle ratings aren’t the only consideration of GVWR. With the 2600RB, the specs are UVW: 5,795 lbs | GVWR: 7,850 lbs | Hitch Weight: 594 lbs | Length: 29' 8" and it has 2 4400lb axles. In this case, the combined axle rating is 8800lbs but yet the GVWR is almost 1000lbs less. I am not seeing how you were well within spec.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2500RL is between 7400 and 8000 lbs every time I’ve weighed her. That equates to 1250 on the hitch using the industry standard of 16%.

With your 1963 payload you have 700 lbs to play with in the truck. Two average people 300 lbs your are down to 400 lbs left. Add a few camping chairs, clothes , maybe a generator in the truck bed or cab or even another person and now you are near or over it’s limit of 1963 Right where you made the good argument you didn’t want to be.

Our 2500 Ram has 3300 payload capacity. Plenary of spare room to not overtax the vehicle and shorten its life.

With the vehicle you have and the models you mentioned you at at the upper end of its limit if not exceeding it no matter how it feels and how easy it is to tow. Try your 2600 with a 2500 series one day, you will see the fiffrrence
    Not trying to be contrary, but where did you get "the industry standard of 16%". I've always read that it's between 10% and 15%, with 12% or 13% being the average? Enquiring minds want to know😉.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoTheGuide View Post
    Not trying to be contrary, but where did you get "the industry standard of 16%". I've always read that it's between 10% and 15%, with 12% or 13% being the average? Enquiring minds want to know��.
    I agree, 10% to 15% is the bumper hitch load range, 12% to 13% is the target, but best not to exceed 15%. Also, I was taught to assume 15% of trailer weight is on the hitch - that way you are overstating the load on the TV and as long as below payload, ensuring safety.
    Seems to me it was on the GMC site I read this, also was 15% to 30% for 5ers and goosenecks.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast