Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    Glad your F-150 is working out for you.

My XLT Sport SCREW 5.5' box was light on payload, so I was over the GVWR. It was also very difficult to maneuver with the short box, even with the Turning Point unlocked.

The worst part however was how the trailer would start to sway in a crosswind or when a semi went by. The 'light and floaty' front end didn't make things any easier.

Now with the F-350 all that has gone away and it's a much more enjoyable towing experience.

I would love to have an electric tow vehicle. Instantaneous torque whenever you needed it. Interested to see the actual effective towing range.
    I have a 6.5’ bed and my Turning Point is locked. I’m not really a fan of the Turning Point, given that it moves the pivot point behind the axle, thus partially undoing the major benefit of a fifth wheel. Still better than a TT.

I drove a 3/4-ton for a while. I liked it better while towing—it felt more solid. I liked it less the rest of the time, so I went back to the Ram 1500.

I anticipate the Lightning will also have that solid feel. It’s arguably a 3/4-ton, with a 6500-lb curb weight and 8550-lb GVWR.

Most tests so far show that range is cut in half (to about 150 or 160 miles) when towing a trailer of any size. Okay for what I do, but a limitation for some people.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed my 295rl with F150 eco boost for a short while. Pushed all the weight numbers and finally upgraded to F250 diesel and never looked back.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    I anticipate the Lightning will also have that solid feel. It’s arguably a 3/4-ton, with a 6500-lb curb weight and 8550-lb GVWR.
    The Lightning is meant as more of a sport truck not a tow platform. Don’t count on it doing a good job towing.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 6.5’ bed and my Turning Point is locked. I’m not really a fan of the Turning Point, given that it moves the pivot point behind the axle, thus partially undoing the major benefit of a fifth wheel. Still better than a TT.

I drove a 3/4-ton for a while. I liked it better while towing—it felt more solid. I liked it less the rest of the time, so I went back to the Ram 1500.

Most tests so far show that range is cut in half (to about 150 or 160 miles) when towing a trailer of any size. Okay for what I do, but a limitation for some people.
    Forgive my ignorance, I haven't towed a 5th wheel so I'm not up on the issues you describe with the Turning Point, would you mind enlightening me.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    The Lightning is meant as more of a sport truck not a tow platform. Don’t count on it doing a good job towing.

Bill
    I disagree. It has 775 lb-ft of torque, is rated for 10,000 lbs and up to 2200 lbs of payload. My XLT will have about the same payload as my truck does now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoTheGuide View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, I haven't towed a 5th wheel so I'm not up on the issues you describe with the Turning Point, would you mind enlightening me.
    It may be more a theoretical issue than a practical one, but one of the major advantages of a fifth wheel is that it places the pivot point, not just the weight, directly over or slightly in front of the rear axle. This eliminates the lever arm that can cause instability and sway. The Turning Point moves the pivot point behind the axle, which gives the trailer some leverage.

There’s quite a bit to read about this on the internet if you’re interested.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you towing your Reflection 150 Series with

I disagree. It has 775 lb-ft of torque, is rated for 10,000 lbs and up to 2200 lbs of payload. My XLT will have about the same payload as my truck does now.

Only 230 mile range and that I am sure is empty, not towing. Might do great for 100 or 125 miles.

Max payload of 2k.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually range aside it looks to be very solid for towing. And quick as heck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbNptxkNJ0

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you towing your Reflection 150 Series with

I went back and looked at the specs, and you are correct about the actual towing capability. I was thinking of the Lightning off the past. Other than the range, which is a showstopper for me it does look pretty good, in fact better than the new gas motor coming out.

Agree, and @goducks14,thanks for link.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoTheGuide View Post
    I have been using the Turning point hitch for 4 years without any issues

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast