User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide Replacement !

Has anyone done it or thought about replacing their Schwintek slide system with the Vroom slide-out system?
    Just watched a video on a different site and it looks pretty promising, although not available outside Tucson, AZ.
    Omrod
    Wisconsin
    2022 Chev Silverado HD
    2021 Imagine 3250BH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmrodWI View Post
    Has anyone done it or thought about replacing their Schwintek slide system with the Vroom slide-out system?
    Just watched a video on a different site and it looks pretty promising, although not available outside Tucson, AZ.
    Just curious why you would want to do that? I know there have been some who have had issues with the Schwintek, but from the reports I've seen, it is generally due to the slides not being operated correctly and getting out of alignment. There are many who've reported on this forum never having any problems. Lippert has an excellent online course that covers troubleshooting the slide (https://lippert.thinkific.com/courses/Schwintek), I feel fairly confident I could handle what might come up. You could carry a few spare parts if you really wanted to be prepared.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Jayco Eagle has the dreaded Super Slide, when it failed I was told good luck! It was a problem I never wanted to deal with due to the massive size of the slide.

It has been working flawlessly since the original mickey mouse install problems were corrected. I would place all blame on Jayco & there horrible manufacturing practices. As well the reason the Super Slides ended up with a bad rap.

No doubt improvements can be made to the Schwintek slide, I've looked @ the replacement & agree. The bad rap Schwintek has is more due poor build quality of RV manufacture's.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it has to do with proper application. The Schwintec slide system is not meant for large slides. Many of manufacturers learned that early on. Smaller slides when installed and used properly are a decent system.

What I wish is that GD would use limit switches on their Rack and Pinion slides instead of the horrible clutches. Sounds so awful.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limit switches are an active device and when they fail or don't function your going to have problems. They require regular inspection and possible adjustment. Also the lack of an audible alert unless wired which is more complexity. Most owners aren't capable of that. A clutch is passive, it will stop where set repeatedly and once set works repeatedly. The audible may sound harsh but it gets you to let off the button.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide Replacement !

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Limit switches are an active device and when they fail or don't function your going to have problems. They require regular inspection and possible adjustment. Also the lack of an audible alert unless wired which is more complexity. Most owners aren't capable of that. A clutch is passive, it will stop where set repeatedly and once set works repeatedly. The audible may sound harsh but it gets you to let off the button.
    Agree to a point. My previous class a had a limit switch setup on the primary slide. Zero issues in 14 years. Agree it’s more complex and yes the clutch does exactly as you describe. Just a bit less “clunky”, but you are correct on all points.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm scheduled to take mine from Northern Colorado to Tucson for a Vroom replacement early next year.
    We had catastrophic failure that resulted in me having to leave the RV at the campground for 2 days and drive 4 hours home, until a mobile repair guy could come and get the slide back in. We ended up having to remove all motors, gears, rods and channels so we could push it back in. He said that he repairs 2-3 a week. I was aware of their issues before we bought ours new and made sure it ran all the way out/in and synced as they recommended every 3 cycles.
    Its been 3 months, and 2 cancelled trips since that happened and we are still waiting for parts to schedule the repairs. The bottom line is that these schwintek systems are way under built for any application, and the manufacturer knows they are trash.
    I wont trust the replacement schwintek system after seeing how terribly they were designed. Don't take my word for it though, look at the top corners of your slide and see how the motors are secured, that will tell you everything you need to know about how they engineered the rest of the system.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyfuel View Post
    I was aware of their issues before we bought ours new and made sure it ran all the way out/in and synced as they recommended every 3 cycles.
    I was not aware of syncing every three cycles. Can you provide more info on this recommendation?

It is my understanding that you are supposed to hold the switch down for an additional 3-5 seconds after extending or retracting *every* time.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I was not aware of syncing every three cycles. Can you provide more info on this recommendation?

It is my understanding that you are supposed to hold the switch down for an additional 3-5 seconds after extending or retracting *every* time.
    The recommendation I was told by Grand Design was to hold it down for 5-10 seconds every few cycles to sync the motors. I doubt it does any harm to do it every time, that's just what I was told.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyfuel View Post
    I'm scheduled to take mine from Northern Colorado to Tucson for a Vroom replacement early next year.
    We had catastrophic failure that resulted in me having to leave the RV at the campground for 2 days and drive 4 hours home, until a mobile repair guy could come and get the slide back in. We ended up having to remove all motors, gears, rods and channels so we could push it back in. He said that he repairs 2-3 a week. I was aware of their issues before we bought ours new and made sure it ran all the way out/in and synced as they recommended every 3 cycles.
    Its been 3 months, and 2 cancelled trips since that happened and we are still waiting for parts to schedule the repairs. The bottom line is that these schwintek systems are way under built for any application, and the manufacturer knows they are trash.
    I wont trust the replacement schwintek system after seeing how terribly they were designed. Don't take my word for it though, look at the top corners of your slide and see how the motors are secured, that will tell you everything you need to know about how they engineered the rest of the system.
    Curious what the actual point of failure was. Were the tracks chewed up or was it a motor problem?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast