User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling a trailer

What is the best "benchmark spot" to use when leveling a trailer? In the past I've always used a small torpedo level in the refrigerator, or a 48 inch I-beam level on the floor or cabinet top to determine "level".

I really feel the fridge is the most important to be level, and sometimes the floor or cabinet tops are not in alignment with the fridge. So, what location do you use?

The reason I ask is that I want to check the calibration on my auto-level function.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What is the best "benchmark spot" to use when leveling a trailer? In the past I've always used a small torpedo level in the refrigerator, or a 48 inch I-beam level on the floor or cabinet top to determine "level".

I really feel the fridge is the most important to be level, and sometimes the floor or cabinet tops are not in alignment with the fridge. So, what location do you use?

The reason I ask is that I want to check the calibration on my auto-level function.
    That depends. We use several indicators, in this order.

1. Does the bedroom door close or open on it's own?
    2. Does the bathroom pocket door close or open on it's own?
    3. Is liquid in a pan or cup level on the stove and counters?

I found using my carpenter's level, that the floor, counter tops, etc, are not good indicators and that these anecdotal locations provide a better "comfort" guide inside the coach.

Sent from my SM-X900 using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing limits you to only one spot, check several see how they look. And since the fridge is the only really important thing to keep level, give the fridge level reading the most attention. I check the floor at the door, the center island, the countertop, and the fridge. They always check nearly in agreement.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at the bubble levels attached to the front and side of the camper.
    They were installed with with multiple references to a 4' level (floor/camper side/frame rail) and have been checked multiple times to confirm they haven't moved.
    We do left/right level on the axels with the curved levelers (ours are the yellow Camco brand, so we call them bananas)
    Then front/back level with the tongue jack after unhook from the truck. Then unscrew the stabilizers.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Camco bubble levels in both the slide/grey-black tank level/pump control panel, and one next to the Lippert Ground Control touch panel.

To set the initial level, we placed a 3' level on the kitchen island and found north/south/east/west level from there. Then tested the non-slide counter tops for levelness. Our kitchen slide being so heavy, long and ackward (IMO) wasn't good enough level for the whole trailer. The fridge does need to be as level as possible, but didn't want to run the slides in/out by fridge levelness alone. leveling the main body of the trailer keeps the slides operating properly when running in/out. IMO, that's more important and more expensive to work on than a fridge. Also, by using the main trailer body for levelness, we also help with black/grey tank drainage too.

Note: Early on our kitchen slide tore the linoleum floor on the fridge side. This happened after we had ran the slide in on a poorly drained state park campsite and we got some excessive rains. I believe it was partially due to the trailer being slightly out of level when we brought in the slide. GD paid to have new slide rollers under warranty put on, but we opted for installing the Lippert Ground Control system to ensure we are always level, and are careful not to ever park on grass only sites.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fill the kitchen sink just enough after an initial leveling. I look for even puddle around the drain. I have had occasions where the sink held water in one corner.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've since installed 2 bubble levels outside on the back and side but before I used a level on the floor just after opening the door. It is important that the fridge is level but doesn't have to be spot on. I think I remember reading within 3 degrees. Maybe even 5. Which is a lot. If your rig is level but your fridge is out by more then it should be seriously looked at.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the level in our 2022 2500RL

Each counter is out of level in a different direction
    Tried the fridge, outside door, inside shelf, freezer, each are showing a different direction as well
    The sink with a bit of water is the best indicator of what's going on, we check it once we are lined up

Placed a speedo level on the floor and noticed the little round bubble level on the front of the trailer tongue was way off, ripped it off and stuck on another cheap-0 round level which seems to be better.

My Furrion fridge runs all the time, freezing food and builds ice in the fridge 1/2 way down the back wall

When I contacted Furrion, they told me the RV is build with level floors and to go by that for level. They also told me level for these new types of fridges is not that critical and if the RV is pretty level, that's good enough for the fridge

From my experience, the trailer can be spot on level at setup, the next day it's dropped down on the left side, likely due to slide out weight. Since we don't have a way to level beyond blocks under tires, I'm not about to re-level multiple times during a stay

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

As someone above noted, the fridge can be quite a bit out of level with no problem. I would take the trailer to a parking lot and level it up so sleeping on the bed, cooking on the stove and sitting at the table "feel" right to you. You can use a level if you like, but how things feel and work is more important. For me, I focus on the stove because I hate putting some oil in a frying pan and having it all run to one side. The next most important part for me is how the bed feels. I can tolerate my head being a bit higher than my feet, but the opposite drives me crazy.
    Once you have everything "feeling" right, declare that that is Level.

Edited to add that you should run out the slide(s) before getting to a Level "feel", pull in the slides, then make that your Official Level.
    Last edited by alias100; 06-17-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    I checked the level in our 2022 2500RL

Each counter is out of level in a different direction
    Tried the fridge, outside door, inside shelf, freezer, each are showing a different direction as well
    The sink with a bit of water is the best indicator of what's going on, we check it once we are lined up

Placed a speedo level on the floor and noticed the little round bubble level on the front of the trailer tongue was way off, ripped it off and stuck on another cheap-0 round level which seems to be better.

My Furrion fridge runs all the time, freezing food and builds ice in the fridge 1/2 way down the back wall

When I contacted Furrion, they told me the RV is build with level floors and to go by that for level. They also told me level for these new types of fridges is not that critical and if the RV is pretty level, that's good enough for the fridge

From my experience, the trailer can be spot on level at setup, the next day it's dropped down on the left side, likely due to slide out weight. Since we don't have a way to level beyond blocks under tires, I'm not about to re-level multiple times during a stay
    When I installed our Lippert Ground Control system, the instructions said to level the trailer by the floor or counter tops mounted above the frame of the trailer, not slides.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast