User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found a solution that works for your setup. Tracking down network issues can be maddening, there are just so many possibilities.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Glad you found a solution that works for your setup. Tracking down network issues can be maddening, there are just so many possibilities.
    Tracking them down on a CentOS system running in a VM that has command line only is fun too.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    If you've been around long enough in the field (and I have), you would remember it was DATA PROCESSING way before Information Technology, AND, Programmer Analysts or Computers before Software Engineers!

Movie Hidden Figures?
    I've been in the field for the last 35 years. Cut my teeth on actually fixing 8086's and 8088's. Not replacing boards, but actual components on the motherboard. I even dealt with memory that was soldered to the main board.

I don't go back as far as the tube type computers, but I've worked on punch card systems as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I've been in the field for the last 35 years. Cut my teeth on actually fixing 8086's and 8088's. Not replacing boards, but actual components on the motherboard. I even dealt with memory that was soldered to the main board.

I don't go back as far as the tube type computers, but I've worked on punch card systems as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Tubes? I worked on one that you could hear computing. Computer caught in a loop? Kick the cabinet making the most noise. Load memory? Thumb wheels and flip toggle switch to load.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, time to nerd out and I hope someone can assist.

To answer your initial question - it's in the subject line... "...am I the only one...". I'd say yes.
    Here is an update. We went out and got T-Mobile home Internet and it works as I expected. Hotspot just wasn't going to work for us. We tried hooking

As for my crazy set up? It is rare but it is a very efficient way to do what we do here.

To answer your second quesiton... "...am I crazy..."? Probably.
    Sorry doc. Just kidding.

I read your post early on and bowed out. Now that you solved your problem I figured I could take a stab at some levity.

A long time ago I decided to be a computer user rather than a console operator. Too much overhead for me trying to deal with software and connectivity and I now prefer the plug and play route. But I know your frustration and the need to do things specific ways at time.

You certainly seem to have a unique situation. So I am glad you found a solution.

I'm an old hardware guy - you know - the stuff that works until it's broke / if the lights are all green things are all good. Unlike software and communications that is broke until it works (but only until the next bug is found)..... Back in the early days of computing I used that phrase a lot; it use to drive the system programmers crazy.

btw..... I still have a few System 370 VM and PSW reference cards hanging around if you need one.....

Hang in there. Thanks for an interesting read with a happy ending. And for being a contributing member here.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    btw..... I still have a few System 370 VM and PSW reference cards hanging around if you need one.....
    Ahh, JCL, Fortran, Cobol, VM, MVS, IMS, IDMS, 3270, Exec 1100, white wires. @docque, thanks for letting us know. We signed up with T-Mobile 55 Magenta Max and they were offering a free Inseego LTE hotspot for an extra $10/month service fee but I held off. I was waiting for their home internet to hit the market with at 55+ discount - might have. Have to say I was impressed with their coverage during recent trip - only poor signal strength was southern IL but same for VZ (who unilaterally just raised my bill)
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tracking them down on a CentOS system running in a VM that has command line only is fun too.
    Got to love the command line. GUIs are for wimps. I go back to the bad old days of DOS, and even earlier.
    Stephen and Judy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Got to love the command line. GUIs are for wimps. I go back to the bad old days of DOS, and even earlier.
    What??? Green Bar man! Boxes and boxes of it ( as a Army DP Programmer delivered bunches of it all over Germany after the nightly cycle). Punch paper tape and cards to IPL, and compile/link/and goes! And, if you got really early on those systems, the readers and paper where just as faulty, none were worse than the other except for the occasional keypunch operator not verifying their work.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What??? Green Bar man! Boxes and boxes of it ( as a Army DP Programmer delivered bunches of it all over Germany after the nightly cycle). Punch paper tape and cards to IPL, and compile/link/and goes! And, if you got really early on those systems, the readers and paper where just as faulty, none were worse than the other except for the occasional keypunch operator not verifying their work.
    Nod, nothing worse than getting your stack of punch cards ready to be read, and then the operator drops them.
    Stephen and Judy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....Punch paper tape and cards to IPL, .....
    What? You mean you didn't have to flip switches to load the registers first to move the paper tape to move the mag tapes and then get an IPL going? whew... old memories...

One of my sons is still living in the VM green screen world from time-to-time for banking systems (the ones behind the scenes or should I say behind the GUIs). He says not many people want to do it and I tell him it's a good skill to keep.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast