User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We added a leaf on the kitchen side when we replaced our springs a few years back, no regrets or issues after.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking on Amazon and they have replacement springs for like 90 bucks per set . Thinking of getting new 2600lb for curb side and new 3000lb for street side.

No wheel rub. Seems to have plenty of clearance 5” on the street side

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with local spring suppliers as well. We took a spring in with us to a local spring warehouse and they matched the size up nicely. The springs we got have already outlived the OEM springs.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    About how many miles on US Interstate Highways does it take to make a spring flat?

Can they be replaced fairly easily via DIY?

Is is recommended to replace just one side if only one side is flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really depends on what springs the manufacture installed. If the trailer has a pretty high CCC then the springs should last many years. It's when the manufacture cheaps out and install marginal springs where the CCC is so low that once loaded the trailer is near it's GVWR that the springs wear out much faster.

Several years ago I had a Northwood Fox Mountain 5th wheel that had over 4000lbs for CCC. I probably put in on average around 1500lbs of cargo in it. Had it for 6 years and the springs looked like new.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep been there did that and ours was an ultra light trailer…. I recall talking to GD about mine and putting stronger springs on, they were worried about the frame not being able to take it… I laughed… the weight is still there no matter what spring. They eventually relented and moved me to 4400 lb from 3500lb and it’s been great since.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined the club as well, today. On doing pre-season inspection, I found the left rear spring flattened out and the left front spring's clip busted and the leafs slightly twisted. Here's the left rear with the trailer completely unloaded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220619_original_left_rear.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	41294

Fortunately, I had a replacement already (based on past experience with crappy trailer suspensions), so I replaced it. It took about 90 minutes including going back and forth to get tools out of my garage.

I have 8700 miles on the trailer and I've weighed it several times with various loads. I'm usually within 100 lbs of the 14K axle limits and I know I ran it about 30 miles at 800 lbs over one time going boondocking w/full tanks.

Here's a comparison of the old spring (front) and the new spring (rear) showing how much it sacked out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220619_left_rear_vs_new1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	41295

Those of you who've contacted Grand Design or Lippert about this, did you just tell them the springs went flat?
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 06-19-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you replace it with the same rate spring? Seems like the springs are less than satisfactory if they collapsed like that. Why not go to a heavier rated spring, i.e. 4,000 lb. rated spring?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined flat spring club

The pictures of the old and new springs is amazing, that is some serious flattening. I have the same question as Hoopy, did you use the same stock spring rates? I have not yet done anything as I just discovered this yesterday My potential solution was to get a slightly higher spring rate. Currently I have 4 leaves with a total spring rate of 2600 lbs. potentially looking at getting 5 leaves 3k springs for street sides and stock 2600 for the curb side to account for the weight disparity. Several have suggested to get the springs made up at a reputable truck shop, which sounds like a great idea, don’t want to go through this again.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 06-19-2022 at 10:30 PM.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill @edapple63 - Rob @Cate&Rob did replace his 2.6K springs on the street side with 3K on his 303 due to the heavier when loaded street side by about 700ish lbs. +/- load on our 303s. Rob is not active on this forum any longer but if you look at his posts on this you can learn quite abit.

You may want to actually Cat Scale loaded weight for street vs curb side on your 315.....it may surprise you since the floor plan is similar to the 337 and nearly the 303 except for east/west bed vs north/south bed.

Forum long timers will recall Rob (as a retired Engineer) being quite detailed on his analysis and modifications on MANY things lol !

We replaced our 5.2 axles with 6L axles in the spring of 2018 along with changing to 16" wheels/tires and have been very pleased.
    We too along with others had reported flattening springs and sagging curb side of the RV vs street side years ago on the forum. With the RV loaded, curb side axles weights were pushing and exceeding the 2.6 springs ratings. This is a too common issue with many RVs often times just mildly or mid loaded.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined flat spring club

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Bill @edapple63 - Rob @Cate&Rob did replace his 2.6K springs on the street side with 3K on his 303 due to the heavier when loaded street side by about 700ish lbs. +/- load on our 303s. Rob is not active on this forum any longer but if you look at his posts on this you can learn quite abit.

You may want to actually Cat Scale loaded weight for street vs curb side on your 315.....it may surprise you since the floor plan is similar to the 337 and nearly the 303 except for east/west bed vs north/south bed.

Forum long timers will recall Rob (as a retired Engineer) being quite detailed on his analysis and modifications on MANY things lol !

We replaced our 5.2 axles with 6L axles in the spring of 2018 along with changing to 16" wheels/tires and have been very pleased.
    We too along with others had reported flattening springs and sagging curb side of the RV vs street side years ago on the forum. With the RV loaded, curb side axles weights were pushing and exceeding the 2.6 springs ratings. This is a too common issue with many RVs often times just mildly or mid loaded.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, I actually did find that thread and read it. It was very informative and helped guide me in that direction.

@SecondChance aka Rob also made the same mention about the side to side weights, the weight differential in his case was substantial.I am sure mine are similar.

Next time I am out to my other house, I will attempt a side to side weigh. Not quite sure how to do that unless I go to someone who specializes in that. Cat scales are not set up to do that, just axle weights.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 06-20-2022 at 10:00 AM.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast