User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't add "DAWN" or PALMOLIVE" to the black tank------why you Say ??

let me first say that for 30 years i was a professional in the commercial detergent manufacturing industry. So my reasons are based on fact not here say.

A low alkaline soap like Dawn or Palmolive (safe on hands) will generate suds when mixed with water. By adding 3-5 gallons of water and this soap to the black tank and driving you will generate a HIGH suds level in the tank .

Suds is made up of water and soap and as the mix takes place the expanded suds will rise above the remaining level of water. The problem is suds offers no "SPLASH" or scrubbing action to clean sensors or break down poop and paper.

Ideally adding an HE-detergent like what is used in a "Front loading " washing machine offers 2 features. It produces a LOW suds level and has "Surfactants" (makes water penetrate) and has a higher ALKALINITY (not good for hands) then pot soap which break down the greasy stool better along with paper.

This way as you drive you get more splash and scrubbing action in the tank.

So, make a mixture of "BORAX" and "Tide He-Laundry Detergent " ( or any He-detergent) . The borax will soften the water, release oxygen and increase the alkalinity (ph9 ) to help bacteria break down the nasties.
    (even if your water is considered soft--soil loads have the effect of increasing hardness in the water )

the photos below show examples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black tank.jpg  
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you recommend a quantity of each to use when ‘dosing’ a black tank?
    2018 295RL Relection
    2018 Silverado HD2500

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxles View Post
    Can you recommend a quantity of each to use when ‘dosing’ a black tank?
    sorry it's all experimental ... just make sure you dissolve the borax first in WARM water along with the he-detergent. When you arrive at you next spot dump the 5 or so gallons of water /poop and look at the color of the water --should be nice and brown if this works
    Last edited by ForBruce; 06-22-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting - was having this conversation with our sales guy at the dealership this past weekend. He uses Lavender Pine-Sol in gray traps and black tank to help control odors. According to Clorox safety data sheet for the product, PH is 10-11.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    sorry it's all experimental ... just make sure you dissolve the borax first in WARM water along with the he-detergent. When you arrive at you next spot dump the 5 or so gallons of water /poop and look at he color
    Ok. Thanks for the information.
    2018 295RL Relection
    2018 Silverado HD2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I will attest to using Dawn, and, borax. We parked in March. Did a dump a few weeks afterwards. Sensors were still off even though I knew tanks were empty, normal in this gig. Anyways. Slowly added a little of water every few weeks in the tanks. Went a little more in the black tank through the toilette. Needed to run the rig to a shop 15 miles away. Hit the black tank with Dawn, just a few squirts down the you know what.

Did the run, hit the state park on the way back for a flush and dump. Clear water out of the black. All sensors are showing empty, non, noda.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Interesting - was having this conversation with our sales guy at the dealership this past weekend. He uses Lavender Pine-Sol in gray traps and black tank to help control odors. According to Clorox safety data sheet for the product, PH is 10-11.
    the entire purpose of this post is the fact that suds is something you want to avoid ---pine-sol does suds

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    the entire purpose of this post is the fact that suds is something you want to avoid ---pine-sol does suds
    I use pinesol and calgon. Works great
    Zero issues

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Well, I will attest to using Dawn, and, borax. We parked in March. Did a dump a few weeks afterwards. Sensors were still off even though I knew tanks were empty, normal in this gig. Anyways. Slowly added a little of water every few weeks in the tanks. Went a little more in the black tank through the toilette. Needed to run the rig to a shop 15 miles away. Hit the black tank with Dawn, just a few squirts down the you know what.

Did the run, hit the state park on the way back for a flush and dump. Clear water out of the black. All sensors are showing empty, non, noda.
    i'm not saying dawn will not work --i am saying a soap that suds is not as effective as a product that does not suds. Eventually even water works.....but when suds ties up the water level there is less to "SPLASH" against the sensors and you don't get full efficiency of the detergent

i'm not recommending one detergent over another . All i am saying is look for something that does not suds

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I use pinesol and calgon. Works great
    Zero issues

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I know I'm not happy with the little orange CAMCO bags.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast