Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expectations for RV A/C

2020 2250RK Coleman Mach 15
    First trip out with this rig. 104 outside with no shade or wind. 88 degrees inside is the best it will do?
    At night it goes down to 72 degrees and cycles off an on.
    RV airflow installed. F.ilters and coils are clean.

The freeze sensor had fallen out and I put it back where it came from on the drivers side of the coil about 2 inches up.

Should it do better than this or should I only book sites with alot of shade.

Reb

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 104 degrees, mid 80's is probably as good as it gets. Specs are roughly 20 degrees below ambient.

Are you running it continuously, or is it not running in the morning until it "calls" for a/c? If you start with it cooling, it has a better chance of keeping up with it than turning it on when it is already hot.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertEarl View Post
    2020 2250RK Coleman Mach 15
    First trip out with this rig. 104 outside with no shade or wind. 88 degrees inside is the best it will do?
    At night it goes down to 72 degrees and cycles off an on.
    RV airflow installed. F.ilters and coils are clean.

The freeze sensor had fallen out and I put it back where it came from on the drivers side of the coil about 2 inches up.

Should it do better than this or should I only book sites with alot of shade.

Reb
    You don't mention what trailer you have. The bigger the coach the harder the AC will have to work. Also, with 104° temperatures, the temperature on the roof will be closer to 115°. The vent system is in the roof, so it's trying to cool both the living space and the vent system. So, thank that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention a 2250rk with 15k Coleman. Is it a ducted system?

Should work ok at that size with a 15k, but as was pointed out, these things are not the best design, and it is commonly accepted that 20 deg F give or take is about the best these will do. Best I got to date is 27 below ambient when it was 109 out with both ac’s going full bore with ac airflow installed and all duct openings sealed.

If ducted, seal all the openings where the registers meet the ducting, seal the plenum so no air is mixing. That is about the best you can do.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 20 degrees below ambient is often misunderstood. That’s not 20 degrees below the outdoor temperature nor does it mean it will cool the space by 20 degrees.

What it means is that the unit should be able to discharge air that is 20 degrees cooler than the intake air. If the camper is 85 degrees, the outlet temperature of the AC should be 65 degrees. The sun beating down on the roof, air conditioner and windows may overwhelm that cooling effect and result in less actual temperature reduction of the living space.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The 20 degrees below ambient is often misunderstood. That’s not 20 degrees below the outdoor temperature nor does it mean it will cool the space by 20 degrees.

What it means is that the unit should be able to discharge air that is 20 degrees cooler than the intake air. If the camper is 85 degrees, the outlet temperature of the AC should be 65 degrees. The sun beating down on the roof, air conditioner and windows may overwhelm that cooling effect and result in less actual temperature reduction of the living space.
    That makes sense to me, as my test when installing my RV Airflow my output ac temps were 59 and 62 respectively with the inside air temp at 84 ish.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the better-insulated Reflections, 1 AC would have a difficult time keeping up with 104 degrees in the sun. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your AC. Your idea about shady spots is a good one. Reflectix cut to fit inside the larger windows can help cut down on heat transfer, too - though it does create a cave kinda feeling by darkening the RV. We see this done a lot in the Southwest.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-29-2022 at 07:44 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post

jkwilson is right, but I think when you measure the output it should be with a temperature probe at the closest vent to the A/C. I don't think it means if is 85 degrees inside the camper then it should cool to 65 degrees inside. That whole measurement of output temperature versus outside ambient air temperature can really mess with your mind.

fwiw.... in Las Vegas last year with outside temps of at least 108 degress my 2 ACs never stopped all afternoon and early evening. It wasn't until the sun went down in the evening that the inside temps got into the mid 70s.

Be sure you have a full 115v volts coming into your RV and keep the fans on manual/high to keep air circulating in the ducts.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from a trip that saw a few crazy hot days. The hottest was no clouds in sight or breeze, full sun lot, it went up to 95, felt like 113 with humidity. Our 15k Coleman worked none stop during the day but kept the inside at 71. We don't have the same rig mind you but the same ac. We did close the shades on the sunny side.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to cut down as much heat gain as you can.

Drop your awning to shade the side wall.

These insulation pillows work good for vents https://www.amazon.com/camco-insulat...0024E6QX0?th=1

For shower skylight here’s a home made solution https://youtu.be/FDEMwkUp7AI

Buy some sun shield reflective insulation and make cover for windows when needed. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-SunShie...dp/B001D9E41I/

When storing outside here in Florida we have reflexive silver bubble insulation in all exposed windows. Same with our truck. Use windshield reflective insulation.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast