User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrench73 View Post
    OK, again, with the disconnect on, it does not pull 30-amp, and the battery drains. Yes, I get lights and radio until the battery drains. But it's not using the Shore power even though it's live.

They are dispatching a mobile tech. Just walked them through the issue.
    Sounds like your converter (takes 120v shore power and converts/supplies 12V DC for use and battery charging) is not working.

- Make sure the 120v breaker for the converter is on. Turn it off and back on to make sure it is not tripped (not always obvious)
    - You will need physical access to the converter (not sure where it is located in your trailer) and check the two output fuses on the converter and then check that the converter is plugged into 120v outlet (often times on the back of the circuit breaker/fuse/distribution panel).

If all this checks out, your converter may have failed and need to be replaced.

Note: Grand Design is NOT consistent in how they wire up trailers. However, most of the time the main battery disconnect switch must be ON (connected/can not remove the red key) for the converter to charge the battery.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 06-27-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often plug
    Into
    Shore power with the battery disconnected via the red handled switch. When I do
    This, all my 12 volt systems work fine via the converter running on shore power with batteries disconnected.

This is convenient because whilst in storage the batteries are disconnected and on a battery tender. I can plug into shore power and run everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn on a basement light switch then wiggle the red key. At some position, the basement light with come on. You might discover the red key is not making the connection, so you need to find what position the key needs to be in for proper connection.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I often plug
    Into
    Shore power with the battery disconnected via the red handled switch. When I do
    This, all my 12 volt systems work fine via the converter running on shore power with batteries disconnected.

This is convenient because whilst in storage the batteries are disconnected and on a battery tender. I can plug into shore power and run everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always thought converters were connected straight to the battery. And I also assumed the whole purpose of the switch manufacturers install is to remove 12v power to the 'house' circuits. I guess that isn't the case in everyone's situation.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I always thought converters were connected straight to the battery. And I also assumed the whole purpose of the switch manufacturers install is to remove 12v power to the 'house' circuits. I guess that isn't the case in everyone's situation.
    I know for certain in our trailer (in sig) and I have been into a few others that the converter 12V output goes directly to the distribution (fuse) panel, then to the battery through the "disconnect" switch. With the disconnect switch open (disconnected), the converter will power a lot of the 12V appliances (lights, etc.). Some loads do come directly off of the battery (hydraulic pump, emergency brakes, front compartment lights, schwintech slide, etc.).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical wiring of the converter/charger, fuse panel, Battery switch, and to the battery.

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I know for certain in our trailer (in sig) and I have been into a few others that the converter 12V output goes directly to the distribution (fuse) panel, then to the battery through the "disconnect" switch. With the disconnect switch open (disconnected), the converter will power a lot of the 12V appliances (lights, etc.). Some loads do come directly off of the battery (hydraulic pump, emergency brakes, front compartment lights, schwintech slide, etc.).

Chris
    That is exactly correct.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for those that were playing along at home, it was in fact a blow fuse on the converter. Unfortunately the fuse is soldered on, so a replacement will be in/installed tomorrow.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 265BH / 2018 Sierra 1500 Elevation Edition

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved this thread over to Electrical from Electronics as that seems a more proper category.

Quote Originally Posted by dfrench73 View Post
    Well for those that were playing along at home, it was in fact a blow fuse on the converter. Unfortunately the fuse is soldered on, so a replacement will be in/installed tomorrow.
    Glad to hear you got things sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Typical wiring of the converter/charger, fuse panel, Battery switch, and to the battery.

I may have rewired mine when I installed an Inverter/Converter years ago. This is what I have now. I'm going to double check to see that I drew this up right. But it seems to be how it is and seems to be what I want. When I flip off the DC disconnect to the 'house', that's what I want - all those house circuits disabled.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12