User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stro,,,,Just curious, do you run your Predator from the back of your truck or do you remove it? We have the same trailer and looking for a generator. I don't see many reviews on the Predator but I have looked at them every time I go in HF.
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
    Stro,,,,Just curious, do you run your Predator from the back of your truck or do you remove it? We have the same trailer and looking for a generator. I don't see many reviews on the Predator but I have looked at them every time I go in HF.
    I do both. Mostly I unload the generator. My biggest concern is wind direction so the exhaust is away from the trailer. Our factory cord is 30’ and that gets me a very comfortable distance from the trailer. The generator is very quiet so being 20 or so feet away you do not even hear it when sleeping.

The last 4 trips I used the ESC (economy throttle) setting and I don’t have a fear of running out of gas overnight. I fill the tank at 9 or 10 and we are good all night. I have run the AC and the morning coffee pot no problem.

HF has these 20% deals every once in a while but they typically exclude generators. I caught a sale where it was everything in the store 20% off. That was a big savings. Then for $30 I got another 5% off for becoming an Inside Track member. So that was 5% of $700, I saved another $5. I turned my 25% savings into a 2 year replacement plan if it ever breaks.

So I did fairly good on a generator I think is very reliable. The break in is key and changing the oil routinely is key. We have about 150 hours of time and it is working fine.

Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an old Honda EU2000i. I installed a soft start on the AC. I can tell you that it does handle the AC, but it revs. I think if you are going to make the investment, go bigger. I know you can shut the air off to run other things, but that can also be a pain. Just go bigger so you are not maxing the generator the entire time the AC is running. The Honda 2000 or 2200 is fantastic for reliability and great for lots of situations, just not running an AC in my opinion.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Facebook group for the Predator 3500 with a lot of great information. It’s also sold by Northern Tool and Echo if you like blue or orange better. It’s a good generator, and the HF price makes it a deal, but like any of the other larger units is on the heavy side for one person.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Have you had any troubles with yours? So it runs your AC, TV and lights no issue?..........
    No trouble with mine at all. Yes, it will run the main AC (13.5), TV & lights at the same time. It will NOT run both AC's at the same time, nor will it run the microwave or coffee maker at the same time as the AC.

Please understand that what works for one person, may not work for another.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to point out to anyone reading this thread, that there are a LOT of variables when it comes to choosing the right generator for YOU. What works for one person and their trailer, may not be the right choice for someone else, even if they have a similar trailer. Asking someone "Hey, what generator should I get for my xxxx" is going to result in a lot of different answers.

I'll do my best to explain some basic things to consider, when trying to choose.

Generators have (2) main ratings:
    • Starting watts: The maximum temporary wattage.
    • Running watts: The maximum continuous wattage.

Most, if not all generators, are advertised by their starting wattage (because it's a larger number). I've found that the running watts are more important than the starting watts.

I'll use my current generator (Generac 3300) for example:
    • 3300 is the maximum temporary starting watts. People may look at that number, and think 3300 watts, divided by 120v, means they'll have 27.5 amps available. That's misleading.
    • The continuous running watts are 2500. That means I actually have less than 21 amps.

Most portable generators are 120v. There are some 120v/240v generators out there, and are starting to become more popular. I'll explain to those who don't know, why this matters.
    • A 30A trailer is 30A 120v. This means all the 120v power in the trailer, is on the same circuit.
    • A 50A trailer is 50A 120v, BUT, all the 120v power in the trailer, is split among two circuits, when connected to a standard 50A/240v receptacle. If the trailer is plugged into a 120v receptacle (whether its 15A/120v, 20A/120v, 30A/120v), the onboard electronics share that single incoming circuit, to both circuits in the trailer.
    • Here's a great video explaining the difference, that'll take less time than reading my minutia.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoOR2AJGjOI

Power needs/usage can vary quite a bit. LED lights versus incandescent lights, number of lights being used, different microwave wattages, different refrigerators, different AC sizes and brands, batteries charging, ceiling fans, exhaust fans, water pump, TV, recliner power, etc.

My recommendation (as a career commercial electrician), is to get an ammeter, and see what your needs are. Hook your trailer up to it's intended power connection (30A or 50A), and turn things on and off. Write down the usage of each item you intend on running.
    My wife and I boondock 75%-90% of the time. My colder months power usage is different than my summer months power usage.
    I based my current generator choice off what works for us. It's the smallest (wattage) generator I need, but still being portable (for me).
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got 2 Honda 2000's hooked in tandem. Also the external gas tank for longer run time. We've had them for several years without any problems. They will run anything that the 30 amp breaker in the trailer will handle. There are many options but I chose this route. They're quiet, fuel efficient, light weight to load and unload. And last forever. Like any gas engine, they require good fuel and good fuel additives if they're stored for any length of time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking for a generator that will run my AC unit, but it has to be light enough for me to lift. So I'd like to be no heavier than 60 lbs. There are two units that I'm looking at so far, the Generac GP3300i and a soon to be released in the USA a Honda EU32i.

The Honda EU32i that has 3200 Watts and it weighs about 58lbs. Unfortunately it isn't available in the USA....yet and I'm betting that it wont be cheap either.

The Generac GP3300i has 3300 starting watts and 2500 running watts and it weighs 59.6 lbs. The list price is $849 (https://www.generac.com/generaccorpo...01004680_1.pdf)
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 06-28-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I am also looking for a generator that will run my AC unit, but it has to be light enough for me to lift. So I'd like to be no heavier than 60 lbs. There are two units that I'm looking at so far, the Generac GP3300i and a soon to be released in the USA a Honda EU32i.

The Honda EU32i that has 3200 Watts and it weighs about 58lbs. Unfortunately it isn't available in the USA....yet and I'm betting that it wont be cheap either.

The Generac GP3300i has 3300 starting watts and 2500 running watts and it weighs 59.6 lbs. The list price is $849 (https://www.generac.com/generaccorpo...01004680_1.pdf)
    That Generac 3300 looks nice. I about had sticker shock when I saw the prices (overseas) on the Honda! yowzers!!!!

Thanks for the post pointing to the Generac.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post

The EU32i looks sweet and the perfect answer for RV use. Its the replacement for the EU3000i with more power and almost 82 lbs lighter, the lightest 3.2kW portable fuel injected generator on the market. My EU2000i weighs about the same. The price is not bad at all considering what you get. Honda generators are well known for their quality, longevity and the quietness. In parallel that's 6.4kW of power with two generators you can easily handle and place in the truck bed.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast