Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Heater Stopped Working Today

Currently do not have hot water coming out of the hot water heater. My wife and I both were able to take hot showers and do dishes last night so it has been working fine up until today. The electric side of our hot water heater would work 80% of the time and the other 20% we would normally just have to turn off the electric and then turn it back on by clicking the button in our panel where you select gas or electric. We have been using propane for the last week or so and it has been working just fine.

After reading and watching some youtube videos I saw that sometimes the thermal fuse can be the issue but I cannot tell if it is blown or not. I did go outside and notice that the connection for the thermal fuse wire was loose (the black foam glued onto the connections labeled TSTAT was peeled back on the left side some and they both seemed loose) but I peeled that off and made sure the thermostat was back in the correct position and put the black foam piece back and plugged the wires back into the connections. I do not see a spark for the propane when I have it set to gas and I know that I have propane flowing because the stove burners and oven both light just fine. I also have a gas reader on the tank and it is till about halfway full. I cannot tell why the electric side of the water heater is not working (I've given it plenty of time for the water to heat up and its still cold).

I have also checked the breaker and it has never tripped while using the hot water heater and I also tried to turn it off and back on from the breaker to no avail.

Is there a way to tell if the thermal fuse is blown and is it a common thing to have happen after being in the trailer for such a short time? Any advice is always appreciated and welcomed as I am still getting used to all of this. I added a picture of the fuses near the hot water heater if that helps at all.

Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06B41CB8-D6F8-427F-BF86-C1C27D802381.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	41521
    Joseph and Haley Stanley and Lucy the Dogs

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check if it is the thermal fuse.

The thermal fuse is the diode looking piece in the middle attached to a red wire. Remove the wire, then remove the fuse. Put the wire directly onto the connector that the thermal fuse is on. If everything works as normal, the thermal fuse is bad.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    You can check if it is the thermal fuse.

The thermal fuse is the diode looking piece in the middle attached to a red wire. Remove the wire, then remove the fuse. Put the wire directly onto the connector that the thermal fuse is on. If everything works as normal, the thermal fuse is bad.
    Thank you so much! I did exactly as you said and the propane fired right up. I have read that you don’t want to just permanently remove the thermal fuse so I noticed there is a well rated RV dealership about 30 minutes away from me I am going to give them a call and see if they have any I can buy. I’ll get two for sure. If they don’t do you think getting one on Amazon is fine?
    Joseph and Haley Stanley and Lucy the Dogs

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJourneys0506 View Post
    Thank you so much! I did exactly as you said and the propane fired right up. I have read that you don’t want to just permanently remove the thermal fuse so I noticed there is a well rated RV dealership about 30 minutes away from me I am going to give them a call and see if they have any I can buy. I’ll get two for sure. If they don’t do you think getting one on Amazon is fine?
    Yes, they're pretty much the same across the board.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS