User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help selecting correct Equalizer weight distribution bars for Grand Design 2500RL

Hello,

I have been lurking the forums for about a year and a half now and have decided to finally reach out for some expert advice. I have been towing a 2019 Grand Design 2500RL with a 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax for the last year. I feel like the truck and trailer are a great match. I have an E4 Equalizer hitch with 1000 lb bars which was recommended by my local dealership. I had asked for 1200 lb bars initially when doing research before buying the trailer, but was advised this was likely overkill and would result in a harsher ride. While I never felt unsafe towing the trailer, I have felt the towing experience could be improved. I have set the hitch up myself and followed all of the directions in the equalizer manual to return to front end back to >50% unhitched height which was through the use of 6 washers in the hitch head. The bars do sit parallel on the frame brackets. The truck and trailer are sitting nearly level. I decided to make my first trip to a CAT scale this past weekend as it was going to be windy (10-15 mph sustained winds with some 20-25 mph gust) and experiment with water in my tanks to provide some ballast and to get some actual hard numbers. I would like to travel with at least 1/3-1/2 tank full of fresh water for unplanned over night stops and bathroom breaks. The truck and trailer were loaded down ready to go camping (minus probably 100-150 lbs of clothes and food/beer). My weights are listed below with 1/3-1/2 fresh water tanks and nearly empty black/grey tanks:

Truck itself:
    Steer axle: 4920 lb
    Drive axle: 3640 lb
    Total Axle: 8560 lb

Truck and trailer w/o WD engaged:
    Steer axle: 4500 lb
    Drive axle: 5100 lb
    Trailer Axle: 5940 lb
    Total Axle: 15540 lb

Truck and trailer w/ WD engaged:
    Steer axle: 4720 lb
    Drive axle: 4760 lb
    Trailer axle: 6060 lb
    Total axle: 15540 lb

After reviewing the numbers I have returned >50% weight back to the front axle, although not all of the weight. Honestly the trailer felt great towing with these numbers. It seems the more water in the fresh tank, the more stable the rigs feels. There is no sway and it tracks great behind the truck. I had it out on the highway at 60 mph and on curvy two lane rural roads. I could tell a major difference with water in the fresh tank on a windy day vs no water. The disturbing part was that I am over tongue weight by about 40 lbs (total tongue weight 1040 lbs), which I never would have dreamed. The 2500RL fresh water tank is far forward on the trailer and seems to add quite a bit of tongue weight. I would hate to be in a situation where I could not dump my black/grey tanks leaving a park as that would even further increase the tongue weight. I am considering adding a second battery and bike rack up front (more tongue weight!). I feel I likely need to go up to 1200 lbs minimum on the equalizer hitch but do worry about harshness of the ride. I would appreciate any recommendations from those of you with more experience. Happy travels!
    Last edited by OnTheRoad88; 03-27-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help selecting correct Equalizer weight distribution bars for Grand Design 2500RL

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRoad88 View Post
    Hello,

I have been lurking the forums for about a year and a half now and have decided to finally reach out for some expert advice. I have been towing a 2019 Grand Design 2500RL with a 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax for the last year. I feel like the truck and trailer are a great match. I have an E4 Equalizer hitch with 1000 lb bars which was recommended by my local dealership. I had asked for 1200 lb bars initially when doing research before buying the trailer, but was advised this was likely overkill and would result in a harsher ride. While I never felt unsafe towing the trailer, I have felt the towing experience could be improved. I have set the hitch up myself and followed all of the directions in the equalizer manual to return to front end back to >50% unhitched height which was through the use of 6 washers in the hitch head. The bars do sit parallel on the frame brackets. The truck and trailer are sitting nearly level. I decided to make my first trip to a CAT scale this past weekend as it was going to be windy (10-15 mph sustained winds with some 20-25 mph gust) and experiment with water in my tanks to provide some ballast and to get some actual hard numbers. I would like to travel with at least 1/3-1/2 tank full of fresh water for unplanned over night stops and bathroom breaks. The truck and trailer were loaded down ready to go camping (minus probably 100-150 lbs of clothes and food/beer). My weights are listed below with 1/3-1/2 fresh water tanks and nearly empty black/grey tanks:

Truck itself:
    Steer axle: 4920 lb
    Drive axle: 3640 lb
    Total Axle: 8560 lb

Truck and trailer w/o WD engaged:
    Steer axle: 4500 lb
    Drive axle: 5100 lb
    Trailer Axle: 5940 lb
    Total Axle: 15540 lb

Truck and trailer w/ WD engaged:
    Steer axle: 4720 lb
    Drive axle: 4760 lb
    Trailer axle: 6060 lb
    Total axle: 15540 lb

After reviewing the numbers I have returned >50% weight back to the front axle, although not all of the weight. Honestly the trailer felt great towing with these numbers. It seems the more water in the fresh tank, the more stable the rigs feels. There is no sway and it tracks great behind the truck. I had it out on the highway at 60 mph and on curvy two lane rural roads. I could tell a major difference with water in the fresh tank on a windy day vs no water. The disturbing part was that I am over tongue weight by about 40 lbs (total tongue weight 1040 lbs), which I never would have dreamed. The 2500RL fresh water tank is far forward on the trailer and seems to add quite a bit of tongue weight. I would hate to be in a situation where I could not dump my black/grey tanks leaving a park as that would even further increase the tongue weight. I am considering adding a second battery and bike rack up front (more tongue weight!). I feel I likely need to go up to 1200 lbs minimum on the equalizer hitch but do worry about harshness of the ride. I would appreciate any recommendations from those of you with more experience. Happy travels!
    Edited due to math error.

I’m also not familiar with the fresh water tanks location on the 2500RL, but based on similarity to our 2600RB, I expect it is just forward of the front axle. If so, it doesn’t add that much to tongue weight.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L
    Last edited by Chewwi; 03-27-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Edited due to math error.

I’m also not familiar with the fresh water tanks location on the 2500RL, but based on similarity to our 2600RB, I expect it is just forward of the front axle. If so, it doesn’t add that much to tongue weight.

2020 2600RB,
    Where are you coming up with 7980lbs?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh water tank on the 2500RL appear to be the farthest forward tank as the dump valve is located just behind the front passthrough door on the driver's side. I was trying to find a schematic of tank locations but have been unsuccessful. Fresh water tank holds 56 gallons, which would be roughly an additional 450 lbs of weight. Per the CAT scale that without any water in the tank my tongue weight was coming in near the 820 lb mark. Thank you for the reply!
    2021 Ram 3500
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    B&W Companion

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks like he edited his post. I should be fine on the front and rear axles with this truck. Door sticker states GVWR of 10000 lbs, GAWR FRT 5200 lbs, and GAWR of 6200 lbs.
    2021 Ram 3500
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks like he edited his post. I should be fine on the front and rear axles with this truck. Door sticker states GVWR of 10000 lbs, GAWR FRT 5200 lbs, and GAWR of 6200 lbs.
    Yeah, my initial math was fubar. Thought your RV might be over its GVWR, not your tow vehicles GVWR.

2020 2600RB,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh water tank on the 2500RL appear to be the farthest forward tank as the dump valve is located just behind the front passthrough door on the driver's side. . . .
    Just curious, where is your water pump located? I would expect it to be close to the tank.

2020 2600RB,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water pump is located in the pass through at front of the trailer.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Where are you coming up with 7980lbs?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I feel I likely need to go up to 1200 lbs minimum on the equalizer hitch but do worry about harshness of the ride. I would appreciate any recommendations from those of you with more experience.
    I am curious if you have any recommendations for the OP?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I am curious if you have any recommendations for the OP?
    I don’t as I use a Husky centreline but why are you curious?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast