User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel failure

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    You just raised a point that I've never fully understood. If you upgrade from say D to E rated tires, is there a need to also upgrade the rims? I went from D to E on my boat trailer two years ago and the tire shop didn't say anything about the rims being an issue. They did change the valve stems from rubber to metal but otherwise that was it. Haven't had any issues so far. But I've never understood what the correct answer on this is. I've seen threads in various forums that answer both ways.
    I agree on checking weight capacity on wheels. It should be stamped on the rim somewhere. In the 1980's we experienced a few blowouts on a 4-horse trailer at freeway speeds. It took a knowledgeable tire shop employee to notice the wheels were not capable of handling the weight. They were 1982 Toyota take-off wheels that fit the trailer perfectly "if the weight of horses" did not over-load the wheels. The rims actually got wider from weight stress making the bead smaller diameter allowing the tire to dis-mount itself. I highly recommend to check your wheel weight capacity.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you considered hauling the water in the truck and transferring it to the trailer when you get there?
    I was thinking that too. Except, ideally there’s a dump station at the campground (at least for grey water). Otherwise you’re just moving water from the bed of the truck into your trailer and then overloaded for the drive home.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I was thinking that too. Except, ideally there’s a dump station at the campground (at least for grey water). Otherwise you’re just moving water from the bed of the truck into your trailer and then overloaded for the drive home.
    The drive home is probably under GVWR. The campground is remote, and dry -- no water, no dump, nothing. Except for some pit toilets, at least. So we have to pack in a reasonable amount of water. But right before I leave, I pull the dump valve on the fresh water tank.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    That's my next target. For whatever reason, on this last trip out, when I did my brake check I just wasn't too impressed. The brakes were working, but they didn't try too hard to stop the truck like they usually do. Ramped up the brake controller the last few notches, now it's maxed out at 10.0 (Ford OE controller) and it was ... acceptable, I guess, but not inspiring. Better on the trip home for some reason, but still at full gain. Time to figure out why the brakes on this trailer are weak. Disc brakes sound wonderful, but it's a cheapo trailer to begin with. I bought it entirely for the floorplan, but it's quite a downgrade in quality from my old Jayco (which wasn't a high end trailer or anything itself, but it was put together a *lot* better).
    In my industry we have metal connectors that are rates to carry specific weights in specific directions. When the connector manufacturer tests their products they come up with an average failure point. A few years back they published this average failure point (they no longer so that). The published average failure point was typically 100-120% higher than the allowable carrying values taht we use to specify the connectors.

My point is that the trailer manufacturers have to protect themselves from liability so the published GVWR is likely much lower than the actual failure point of all components. Also typically when metal fails, it starts to bow and bend and even crack first. TerryH had some good advice to look for cracks.

Now the disclaimer: I don't recommend going over published GVWR of tow vehicle or trailer. I recommend staying within the published limits. Main reason for this is liability. If you get in a wreck and insurance finds out you were over GVWR....you probably won't be covered

Also, I don't think the Transcend BH is a cheapo trailer. I think you got a real nice trailer with a great floor plan and really good space for a family. It's awesome when you get to take your family away from home and the chaos of life....to get to some pretty cool area and spend time together. Enjoy it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look into a water source is there a spring or river to filter it from near the campsite? If there is check out a Maxx Tank set up. They work great. Probably less than a full suspension upgrade.

https://max-tank.com/
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    I would look into a water source is there a spring or river to filter it from near the campsite? If there is check out a Maxx Tank set up. They work great. Probably less than a full suspension upgrade.

https://max-tank.com/
    That's pretty cool! We do typically camp next to a river. But that idea would also just work using the tank and filling it at home. I have more than enough payload on the F250 to add 500 pounds in the bed.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234