User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redwood National Forest

Looking for suggestions on RV parks or regular campgrounds in the forest for next July. We are going to see the redwoods and travel some up the cost. just want to have a decent spot centrally located for the redwoods for when the kids come up for a few days. I have already put in an inquiry on GS website, just though i would try here too! ! ! Thanks in advance, jeff & karen. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure which redwoods you want to see but we stayed at the Ancient Redwoods RV Park last year. It's about 25 miles south of Eureka, CA.
    http://ancientredwoods.net

Not a bad park. We'd go again. Walking the trails among those trees was a very cool experience. It was just awesome - and I'm NOT a tree hugger!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As party of our honeymoon driving up the California coast, we stopped at Avenue of the Giants. Amazing, and I'm like Brian! No suggestions on RV parks as we stayed in Shelter Cove, but just thought I'd chime in on how amazing it is!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, We have been there before, with a 22 foot travel trailer and now our 303 mobile mansion. just can't remember the place we stayed last time and thought i would get some input. Yeh the place is amazing and as we continue up the coast to the north end of Washington, we will again create an amazing trip and enjoy what our great country has to offer.
    so again thanks, Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going up 101 to Washington State, lots of beautiful spots to stop and see. Too many to mention for sure. We lived on the Oregon Coast for a number of years just South of Newport. Newport would be worth a couple of nights stay. A lot of State Parks in great locations, may be tough to get into though. The entire California, Oregon, and Washington are worth the drive from start to finish. Enjoy.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got home, great trip.
    Nite 1- Del Valle state park in Livermore - not bad, a little dry.
    2- Sonoma country fairgrounds in Santa Rosa - good waypoint, had a blast up the road in Healdsbuurg
    3- giant redwoods rv park - not bad, little rough around the edges, like others very much enjoyed the redwoods
    4- sounds of the sea rv park in Trinidad - fantastic park, ask for spot 5, best ocean view, away from other sites, secluded area behind your rig. Need 4wd to back uphill into site.
    5- dolphin isle marina rv park in fort bragg - homey, few rough edges, lots of people living there fishing for a living, everybody we met was very friendly.
    We bought fresh Rockfish right off one of the boats, awesome fish tacos.
    Our spot backed up to the river feeding the bay, watched the seals swim back and forth.
    We ended up taking CA highway 128, gorgeous drive, as others have said, curves on the front and back ends, but far better than hiway one from Legget to Fort Bragg. Just after leaving Fort Bragg, the road takes you through another beautiful Redwood grove.
    Many wineries along 128 which runs through Anderson Valley, we stopped at Navarro Winery, not very big, but great layout allowed us to pull in and park, then leave through another gate, very easy drive through with no backing up.
    6- Travis AFB family camp - very nice spot, great commissary and exchange close to park. Downers-No WiFi, best parking spots don't allow pets, and no reservations accepted within 30 days of arrival. We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon, there were 4 spaces left.

Other items - Be ready for the curves on this trip, several times 160 degree turns, 30 minute delays due to construction, had to get behind bicyclists several times because road too narrow for both of us.
    Some areas we went through are called the Emerald Forrest or Emerald Triangle due to the particular crop they grow up there. We stopped alongside the road several times while traveling through the woods and there were signs telling us in no uncertain terms not to venture off the beaten path.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	college cove.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	9198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redwoods.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	9199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navarro.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	9200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	9201
    Bottom line great trip, highly recommend it.
    Last edited by John612; 07-28-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add stops
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giant Redwoods RV Park in Myers Flat kind of puts in in the middle. Easy to get in and out. They were remodeling restrooms, etc. that last I heard.

Burlingtron Campground just south of Weott, Ca. is a state park campground. Not sure if they have hook ups and their sites are on the smaller side.....only a few spaces that would take a 34' 5th wheel. They have a great little museum right next door that has an original redwood RV that you have to see.

Richardson Grove RV Park is also an easy in and out with hook ups....we spent a couple of nights there. A gas station and little mart also a place to eat across the street. The Grand Father Tree is also across the street.

Richardson Grove State Park is also a beautiful state park campground but like most state parks, small spaces.

Benbow KOA is a large, very nice RV park......full hook ups, easy in and out even for the largest coaches or 5th wheels.

I spent many, many summers in that area but it's been a few years, so that's all I can remember right now. Ave of The Giants is about 32 miles long....be sure to travel the full length and take your time. A bit further north and off of 101 about 5 miles is the Victorian Community of Ferndale.....definately worth the side trip and foot tour for a couple of hours. By the way, there's also Riverwalk RV Park in Fortuna.....very nice park.

In Eureka you will want to visit the Carson Mansion and The Pink Lady (google them) and have at least one meal at the Samoa Cookhouse (goggle it, also). Samoa was the last company owned town in America (logging) and they fed everybody at the Cookhouse. It's all served family style (ie. soup or salad comes in a large bowl for your family and you help yourself and pass it down, etc.) , eat all you want, very affordable and a lot of history in the rooms on either end.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know?

Here's a pic of me at the Carson Mansion....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27409444745_60b0ed770b_b.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	9116

Almost forgot, here's a link to a thread that I did back in 2015 on a motorcycle forum.....a compilation of things to see and do in the redwoods......

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index....233#msg1339233
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg