User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement cost insurance

Want to look in to replacement cost insurance. Companies? Price? Customer service? Claim service? And how long can you actually get it for?
    Thank You in Advance
    Drop

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Progressive just last month. It was $4something hundred. Off the top of my head it was replacement for 3 or 4 years. I went to G Sams web site & they were about $300 more...then they called me, & gee-wiz they could do better blahblahblah. Kinda pissed me off the way they did things, 'course it is GS.

I checked with a couple more, but Flo was easier to deal with.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we lost our 2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS in a fire, the settlement was far higher than I expected. The insurance company (Met Life) paid me the retail value of purchasing a similar model from a dealership, including sales tax. According to Nada Guides at the time, my trailer was worth approximately $37K for trade in. However, the settlement was in excess of $44K. I felt the settlement was fair and quick. And there was no increase in our premium after the claim.

I am still insured with Met Life. They have good prices, and the claims process was great.

Jim

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Canada... your profile doesn't show where you are.

We use a company called Wayfarer insurance, a division of Aviva Insurance. I don't know if they operate in the U.S.

We pay a high cost - just over CDN$1,000 per year - to insure a trailer with an insured value of CDN$87,000. We do so significantly because the policy offers unequivocal full-replacement for ten years, and because a few other small RV-specific benefits are included.

We could tack the trailer as another vehicle onto our vehicle insurance policy for a little under CDN$600, but would be subject to very fast depreciation of the value paid in the event of a loss and after a loss would also see the cost of insuring all our vehicles go up for years.

Having frequently seen trailers exploded into tinder after highway accidents I think the several hundred extra dollars is worth it for the few years we'll be doing this.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry...We live in Illinois

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is for the retail value. Such a minute difference in cost vs. what we paid. Plus cost of contents that we added.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we live in ours full time and do not have a house I have Insurance through Foremost. It gives me the insurance, like home owners insurance, full replacement and all contents, and liability insurance on my property in Montana. Had a claim last year ( 2018) and called to inform them I have Solar on the trailer a week ago, and NO rate increases. REAL good and quick service. $74 a month for ten months ( $740 a yr) on $80,000 value of the trailer, and 25% on contents.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I'm in Canada... your profile doesn't show where you are.

We use a company called Wayfarer insurance, a division of Aviva Insurance. I don't know if they operate in the U.S.

We pay a high cost - just over CDN$1,000 per year - to insure a trailer with an insured value of CDN$87,000. We do so significantly because the policy offers unequivocal full-replacement for ten years, and because a few other small RV-specific benefits are included.

We could tack the trailer as another vehicle onto our vehicle insurance policy for a little under CDN$600, but would be subject to very fast depreciation of the value paid in the event of a loss and after a loss would also see the cost of insuring all our vehicles go up for years.

Having frequently seen trailers exploded into tinder after highway accidents I think the several hundred extra dollars is worth it for the few years we'll be doing this.
    We are from Ontario and we have used wayfarer insurance for 35 years. Our insurance went up substantially when we switched from our travel trailer to our 303. The coverage is very good and they specialize in RV insurance. We got a discount by having KOA and by having a good credit score.
    Pino and sherry
    2019 GD 303 RLS
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson hitch
    Champion 3400 dual fuel generator
    “Out ‘n About, Eh”