Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    DMB,

I think everything you said is accurate, and I will post follow up info when we get on the road to try to put some real-world numbers & experiences with our Genny.....

Jim
    That would be awesome Jim , thanks!

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Just keep in mind LP has less potential energy than gasoline so when you’re running the generator on LP it is only putting out a maximum of 2790 watts.

Also, Champion states the 14-hour run time on a 20-pound tank of LP is with the generator running is at only 25% load, which is basically idle.

So on paper, you would only get maybe 4 hours out of a tank of LP if you’re running your roof air along with a few other small items during the day because it would be running at full load.

But let’s be generous and say you get twice that, 8 hrs run time. That’s still three 20-pound tanks of propane in a 24 hour period. That’s about $50.

I’d be curious to hear from folks that actually use these generators, to find out how long they actually run their roof air using LP and how long it takes in the real world to go through a tank of LP.

I am looking at one of these or the Firman (little less power but less cost as well). I plan to run them off of the tanks in the rig (connected to the grill port), so I will have two 30 pound tanks at a time. I figure I should only need the generator for AC, so the heat will not be in use, so I should not need the propane for much else (water heater on occasion and small fridge usage). My father in law bought a Firman on sale and had it shipped to me, so I have done some testing and it runs either of my AC units with no issue off of propane. Even if I need to take my tanks and get them filled every couple of days I would rather do that then deal with gas going bad in the carb when not in use, or leaking cans in the truck bed.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Just keep in mind LP has less potential energy than gasoline so when you’re running the generator on LP it is only putting out a maximum of 2790 watts.

Also, Champion states the 14-hour run time on a 20-pound tank of LP is with the generator running at only 25% load, which is basically idle.

So on paper, you would only get maybe 4 hours out of a tank of LP if you’re running your roof air along with a few other small items during the day because it would be running at full load.

But let’s be generous and say you get twice that, 8 hrs run time. That’s still three 20-pound tanks of propane in a 24 hour period. That’s about $50.

I’d be curious to hear from folks that actually use these generators, to find out how long they actually run their roof air using LP and how long it takes in the real world to go through a tank of LP.

Yes, running on Propane does reduce the power output relative to Dino Fuel, that is why I chose the 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Champion over the 3400 watt Champion. As far as running it off Propane... We live in Florida and we spent several (HOT) days in our new coach running our A/C off the Generator when we first got it. We were measuring cabinets, replacing the TV and generally just hanging out. The A/C was on Constantly. We were at the coach for 10-12 hours straight for several days in a row. As I recall, we ran for three days straight before we had to change out the 30lb Propane tank, recently we have run the generator on our 20lb Propane tank and have not noticed that the tank runs out too quickly. Basically, we don't feel that the generator uses too much Propane at all. Also, we don't feel that the Propane expense is too high to prevent us from setting up the Generator for an hour or two to do an inside project.

Recently, we used the Generator on a camping trip and ran everything for 5 - 6 hours two nights in a row on a 20lb tank and there was plenty of Propane left to run for another night.

FYI, we re-fill all our tanks, so, we actually have 20lbs of Propane in the tank, versus the 15lbs you get with a tank exchange program like Blue Rhino.

Setting up the Generator to run off of Propane is way easier than keeping Dino Fuel around and storing it in the truck (besides, the generator is lighter to carry without Dino Fuel in it).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

FYI, we re-fill all our tanks, so, we actually have 20lbs of Propane in the tank, versus the 15lbs you get with a tank exchange program like Blue Rhino.

Setting up the Generator to run off of Propane is way easier than keeping Dino Fuel around and storing it in the truck (besides, the generator is lighter to carry without Dino Fuel in it).
    Is this a widely known thing because I was just remarking to my wife that the recent swaps we did at Home Depot “felt light”.......? I haven’t done any research on it, but when you mentioned it, it made sense with my experience. Never even considered the lighter weight of the Genny with no unleaded in it...... I use about 6lbs per gallon for liquids so it makes sense. I’m still trying to figure out how to muscle it into the back of the truck alone without wrenching anything in my body. With my wife helping, it’s easy, but by myself, it’s formidable. Any tricks you use?

Jim
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    Is this a widely known thing because I was just remarking to my wife that the recent swaps we did at Home Depot “felt light”.......? I haven’t done any research on it, but when you mentioned it, it made sense with my experience. Never even considered the lighter weight of the Genny with no unleaded in it...... I use about 6lbs per gallon for liquids so it makes sense. I’m still trying to figure out how to muscle it into the back of the truck alone without wrenching anything in my body. With my wife helping, it’s easy, but by myself, it’s formidable. Any tricks you use?

Jim
    The closest place to me that does fills has a big sign saying you get like 20% more with a fill than an exchange, so I think its a known thing.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, we keep the generator in our hold and it is easy for both of us to lift it in and out.
    I can, by myself, pull it out of the hold, but I don't want to do it very often.

My plan is to put it in the bed of the truck and leave it there. Since we run the GooseBox hitch and have a full-size bed, there is enough room to keep the Generator up next to the tool box. We also purchased a 20lb tank (and a milk crate to store it in) that I will lash down at the rear corner of the bed. By running on Propane Only, I can run the hose to the generator whenever I want to run it and simply run it inside the truck bed. Additionally, I have a 30 amp extension cord that will allow me to park a little ways away from the coach when I need to run the Generator.

My overall plan is that with 1200 watts of Solar and a 500ah Tesla battery installed in the coach, I shouldn't need to run the generator more than a few times per year.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    The closest place to me that does fills has a big sign saying you get like 20% more with a fill than an exchange, so I think its a known thing.
    I don't know how widely known it is, but just this evening as we were leaving Lowes, I remarked to my wife that you get 15lbs of Propane for $20 and we fill our 30 lb tanks for the same price.

By-the-way, I've asked about the lower amount of Propane in the exchange tanks and was told that they could not fill the tanks up because of safety reasons, because, the Propane has to have room to expand.

Problem with that is that the tanks are designed to SAFELY HOLD 20lbs of Propane. A full tank is just as safe as a 20% less full tank !!!

It's a MONEY Thing, plain and simple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also purchased a 20lb tank (and a milk crate to store it in) that I will lash down at the rear corner of the bed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ECA9FB3-5BD9-442D-A97A-5624728D9388.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	19642

We do the milk crate thing as well, but I’m going to start bringing my tanks to get 20lbs rather than the swap. Kind of annoying that it’s acceptable practice, but oh well. I learn so much from this forum.

Jim
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how widely known it is, but just this evening as we were leaving Lowes, I remarked to my wife that you get 15lbs of Propane for $20 and we fill our 30 lb tanks for the same price.

By-the-way, I've asked about the lower amount of Propane in the exchange tanks and was told that they could not fill the tanks up because of safety reasons, because, the Propane has to have room to expand.

Problem with that is that the tanks are designed to SAFELY HOLD 20lbs of Propane. A full tank is just as safe as a 20% less full tank !!!

It's a MONEY Thing, plain and simple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's definitely a scam it they wouldn't fill our tanks that far lol.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add my 2 cents worth...

We've had the 3500 watt Champion Dual Fuel (Propane Only) for about 2 years now (150 hours), and it has been great. I highly recommend this generator ( I also recommend the 3500 over the 3400) !!!!

On our 2004 camper this generator would run our Air Conditioner in the evening without any problem, however, in the middle of the day, in the Florida sun, it didn't have quite enough umph to get the A/C started. Adding a Hard Start kit to the 15 year old Air Conditioner fixed that issue.

On our new Solitude 310GK the Generator runs the A/C without any problem at all. As a matter of fact, we have used this generator quite a lot on our Grand Design and have not experienced any real limitations running off the Generator only (except not running the Microwave and A/C simultaneously), we even ran the heat pump while on Generator Power.

Again, We just LOVE THIS GENERATOR !!!

And, we will always rune it on PROPANE ONLY ( I really like not having to carry gas around for the generator).
    We feel exactly the same. Great generator and love the propane. We also installed the hour meter. We bought the cover for it off of amazon. It shows it only for the 3100 but it fits the 3400 fine. It has two zippers where the handles are. We also installed the soft start.
    Pino and sherry
    2019 GD 303 RLS
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson hitch
    Champion 3400 dual fuel generator
    “Out ‘n About, Eh”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast