Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ounce of Prevention....

Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    Today I decided to check the wheel bearings on my 2019 2970RS. Knowing how shoddy rv's are built and hearing some horror stories on tires and axle bearings I decided to do some PMS. I pulled the right side wheels and they were ok but not what I call good so I repacked the bearings and replaced the grease seals. When I pulled the left side I found both outter bearings basically dry and had signs of excessive heat. There was very little grease in both left wheels. I am posting this as a warning to folks that think these units are built with any quality control. If you don't want a surprise on the interstate you may want to check your wheel bearings.
    I bought a new GD 337RLS in 2016 The FIRST thing I did was REPLACE the "made in China" bearings, races and seals with "made in USA" Timken bearings and seals. We use our 5th wheel about 3 months out of the year, traveling about one month at a time. We average between 6,000 to 8,000 miles a year. I not only repack my bearings EVERY year, but also REPLACE all the inner and outer bearings, as well as the seals with new Timken bearings each time. I'll replace the races if they show ANY signs of wear. I can do the job in less than 1/2 day and the peace of mind it brings is worth every $$ and minute of it. I also use an infrared temperature gun and check the temps of the hubs at every full stop. DON'T forget to grease the suspension shackle's wet bolts also!! I know it may be overkill, but I just do not want to be replacing bearings on the side of the road.
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS
    Sailfish 266CC Twin Yamaha 150's 4 stroke
    Ford F-350XLT 4X4 SRW 6.7 Diesel Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKey View Post
    I bought a new GD 337RLS in 2016 The FIRST thing I did was REPLACE the "made in China" bearings, races and seals with "made in USA" Timken bearings and seals. We use our 5th wheel about 3 months out of the year, traveling about one month at a time. We average between 6,000 to 8,000 miles a year. I not only repack my bearings EVERY year, but also REPLACE all the inner and outer bearings, as well as the seals with new Timken bearings each time. I'll replace the races if they show ANY signs of wear. I can do the job in less than 1/2 day and the peace of mind it brings is worth every $$ and minute of it. I also use an infrared temperature gun and check the temps of the hubs at every full stop. DON'T forget to grease the suspension shackle's wet bolts also!! I know it may be overkill, but I just do not want to be replacing bearings on the side of the road.
    I agree with you 100%. No more than it costs to me it's not worth taking a chance. IMHO the weak points on these things are 1.Tires, 2.Wheel Bearings.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick 641 View Post
    The zerk cannot spin out no matter which way you spin the wheel, the zerk is in the end of the axle which doesn't move.
    You are absolutely correct, my bad. The advice was for a utility trailer without brakes and after market bearing buddies. The zerks can spin out, but that has nothing to do with GDRV trailer axles. Still, a good habit to have. Thanks for the correction.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are new to the RVing. Reading this thread is making me think that this is one of the more important things that I need to know about safety-wise. Going to be top priority in finding someone that can take care of this for me, as I've been living on trust....and luck. Thanks for all the info.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post wheel bearing

Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    When doing something as important as wheel bearing maintenance, I don't trust what I can't see.
    I agree taking the hub off to clean inspect and hand repack is the most reliable.

I also bought an infrared thermometer and after a long drive and stopping for fuel or bathroom breaks I will use the infrared thermometer to check each hubs temperature. What your are looking for is A. the temperature and B. if one is significantly higher than the others.

One day I happen to have a strong cross wind from the left side of the truck and camper and the hubs on the left measured 78 degrees F where the two on the right measured 84 degrees F. Other times with no cross wind they all read pretty close to each other.

So as others have mentioned Tires, Bearing and axles are the three items that can ruin your day/trip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123