User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch... The AFMs got me.

I was leaving work on Friday and punched it to get onto the highway when I got a weird bang and some noises that were 'not good'. Long story short, I had an AFM lifter go. Thankfully, it's within my 100k power train warranty. Dealer says it'll be a month because parts are on back order.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post
    Last edited by TheGuy; 08-21-2019 at 06:19 AM.
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before people bring it up, I'm not disabling it. It works for me and it does save me a good bit of gas on the highway. I live in Florida and all we have are flat, straight roads. It's the pry place for the tech. If the traffic is forgiving, I can make most of the 30 miles to my parents' house in 4cyl mode. At 70ish, it makes about a 3-5mpg difference depending on the wind --that adds up.

I know a lot of people hate AFM, but I'm not convinced it's all that bad. We'll see how I feel when I get the truck back in a month though.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One month wait time on parts for a truck that new is not acceptable. I’d be in my salesman’s ear telling him they need to do something. Loaner or compensation.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't buy the truck there. I've just used them for service. I don't disagree in principle, but I have another car and a bike to drive in the meantime. I'd rather just let them take their time and fix it right. I have a decent relationship with my service guy, so I don't think he's jerking me around.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons I have scratched the 1/2 tons off my buy list. I only consider 3/4 ton on up now. I always had 3/4 tons and made one foray into Chevy 1/2 ton territory in 2013. I found I was inventing new swear words so I cut my losses and got back into a 2015 Chevy 2500HD. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    One of the reasons I have scratched the 1/2 tons off my buy list. I only consider 3/4 ton on up now. I always had 3/4 tons and made one foray into Chevy 1/2 ton territory in 2013. I found I was inventing new swear words so I cut my losses and got back into a 2015 Chevy 2500HD. Lesson learned.
    That'll be my next one, but it's years away at this point. Too many other things to spend money on first.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thing, many times the 3/4 tons are cheaper than the 1/2 tons. I have seen current 2020 Chevy 2500's with the new 6.6L gasser selling for $40K. No 1/2 ton can match the capability of the 3/4 with the 6.6L. I have seen the latest max tow whatever 1/2 tons getting into the stratosphere on price. Read a thread where someone said the latest F-150 with the 3.5EB with the top end packages listing for $72K. That is insane. My 2015 2500HD 6.0L LT Z71 DC standard 6.5 bed with snow plow prep package, tow package with integrated controller and 5th/Gooseneck prep, 9500 GVWR, 13,500 tow, and 20,500 GCWR, I bought it brand new for an out the door price of $38K with a Line-X bedliner job thrown in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    Interesting thing, many times the 3/4 tons are cheaper than the 1/2 tons. I have seen current 2020 Chevy 2500's with the new 6.6L gasser selling for $40K. No 1/2 ton can match the capability of the 3/4 with the 6.6L. I have seen the latest max tow whatever 1/2 tons getting into the stratosphere on price. Read a thread where someone said the latest F-150 with the 3.5EB with the top end packages listing for $72K. That is insane. My 2015 2500HD 6.0L LT Z71 DC standard 6.5 bed with snow plow prep package, tow package with integrated controller and 5th/Gooseneck prep, 9500 GVWR, 13,500 tow, and 20,500 GCWR, I bought it brand new for an out the door price of $38K with a Line-X bedliner job thrown in.
    Good point. I wanted a super duty 250, but it was about 2cm too high to fit into my garage, the F150 just made it. Similarly equipped, the 250 was about $5000CDN more than a 150. As you note an F150 for $72K in US is about $95K in CDN, have not seen a 150 so equipped but then have not looked for one either. My 150 Lariat has auto running boards, full moon roof, 400w inverter, B&O sound, max tow package, switch controlled folding/extending tow mirrors, 3.5L ecoboost, 355 gears with locking differential, cargo box restraint, skid plates etc... The payload is only 1400 pounds given all the trinkets on it. It is our daily driver and TV, so it is nice to have the room and comfort. The sticker was $73K CDN, that’s about $55K US. My on the road price was just just under $60K CDN or about $45K US. A similarly equipped 250 had a sticker of $78K CDN or about $59K US. The on the road price would have been close to $65K CDN and the truck would have to be ordered.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I got the truck back last Thursday and have driven it ever since. They had the truck for 27 days in total. I'm not happy about that, but I am happy that GM covered the $2460 job under the 100k powertrain warranty.

I turned out to be cylinders 1 & 7. They removed the intake and head to replace those four lifters and the VLOM which is the oil-pressure distribution system in the lifter valley that actuates the system. So far, the truck seems fine. The tech who did it told the service writer that it was running smoother than any other engine he'd seen after this. I will agree it's definitely running smoother than before it happened. Aside from missing the truck for almost a month, I'm none the worse for wear.

I asked my guy if this was going to happen again and he said, "Honestly...? Probably, in about 20k." I told him 20k, was fine, but 26k wasn't because the warranty runs out then.

The most dramatic portion of the whole event was when Dorian was breathing down our neck. One of the reasons we bought Imogene was so we'd have a lifeboat after storms. We had no power after Michael for over 3 days and while our parents' generator kept the food cold, fans running, and TV playing we didn't have AC or water/sewer because we're on a well. This time, I didn't have a truck to get the camper out of town. I even tried to rent one, but all the shops were closed because it was Labor Day, ironically. I've since bought a bigger generator of my own and it might run the AC, but I haven't tried.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Of course, tropical depression 10 the likely-to-be Hurricane Jerry is currently forming east of the Lesser Antilles. I don't think it's going to come too close to us, but who knows. All I'll say about that is, may God be with those poor folks in the Bahamas.
    Last edited by TheGuy; 09-18-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    2019 Imagine 2600RB