User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black and Grey tank valves...?

I noticed just recently the the black and one of the grey tank valves are very hard to pull open.... is there a "easy" fix for this..??
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start by lubricating them.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    I would start by lubricating them.
    I did spray the rods while open.... not much help...
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD doesnt have the best approach to routing the cables. I would follow the handle to the valve and see if the turn radius is too sharp, if you have room to route it better that might help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one of these to lube the cables:https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B0012TYX9W
    Use chain and cable lube:https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench.../dp/B003542HE0
    The clamp helps to force the lube down into the cable, it may take a few applications working the cable as you go.
    Both of these could be had locally at a dirt bike / offroad dealer.
    I've had my clamp for about 40 years now but had to give up the dirt bikes.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Get one of these to lube the cables:https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B0012TYX9W
    The clamp helps to force the lube down into the cable, it may take a few applications working the cable as you go.

^^^ What he said!
    Those cable lube set ups are the way to go. A bit of work to expose the cable sleeve, and cable (removing it from the mounting surface) and lube em up. Makes a night and day difference! I didn't drop coroplast and expose the valve end, but did lube my cables from the out side.
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    ^^^ What he said!
    Those cable lube set ups are the way to go. A bit of work to expose the cable sleeve, and cable (removing it from the mounting surface) and lube em up. Makes a night and day difference! I didn't drop coroplast and expose the valve end, but did lube my cables from the out side.
    My son raced MX... so I have that set up.... how do I get to the cables...???
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Wicked ace
    What do you do? Do you have to take the cable off on one end ? I watched the videos ,but all of them had the cables off , one end disconnected.
    It looks like a good idea. I'd like to do this on our cables before an issue comes up.
    Last edited by ScopesNC; 09-17-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: gosh aweful typos and spelling
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference between brake cables and gate valve cables is that the gate valve cable sheath is a loose fit to the push/pull wire inside. Binding will be at the pull handle where there is a tight fit between the pull rod and the outer sheath or within the gate valve itself. Binding along the cable is more likely to be caused by tight bends in the routing than by friction that lubrication can solve.

After removing all three "binding" pull cables from my Reflection, I discovered that once straightened out, there was absolutely no friction between the inner wire and the outer sheath. The problems were all within the gate valves themselves. See this discussion: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-Valves/page2

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big problem with these cables is they are too long and they have to be looped around to work. If the loops are too tight the cable binds and are hard to operate. These cables come in one length even though the distance they run is different. They are designed to be cut to length. We just replaced the kitchen valve that came with a new cable. In the directions it tells you to cut the cable to length. I have seen two different ways styles the way the cable attaches. One is the cable itself at the valve will be bent to go through a hole in the rod of the valve. The other style I have seen is the cable slides straight into the end of the rod and there is a set screw to hold it. Either way the cable can be cut to length to keep the cable from binding up. Two things to do when routing the cable is one coming off the rod it should a 6 inch straight line before there is any bends. The other thing is any bends needed should be big. They give a dimension for how big the loop should be but I forget what that was right now, but it is not to be a tight loop. One other thing is that at the valve there is a point before the rod that holds the cable. Make sure that the sheath on the cable goes through that point as well as the actual cable. If not when you operate the valve it will pull out and the valve will not move. The worst part about doing this repair will be having to drop the coroplast to do it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast