User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from the Moores

We are Randy and Donna Moore from Florida. We have full-timing since 2009 and love it! We have had previous toy haulers, one 5th wheel, and currently in a motorhome, which we're trading tomorrow for the 2019 395-M toy hauler. We're both retired but I still teach online for several universities, which I can easily do while traveling as long as I have a cell phone signal.

We are picking up on 2019 M-395 tomorrow. The only question that keeps coming up is having to use 30 amp service in some campgrounds. We currently have a 2015 Bounder motorhome and we have learned what can/cannot be run on 30 amp. For example, when I'm using the microwave, I have to cut off the A/C. Is it the same for the 395?

We are so excited to be getting this toyhauler. We've heard the Grand Design is the best on the market and made extremely well.

Any suggestions as to what to check for during the walk through tomorrow?

Donna Moore

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to a wonderful forum with helpful and gracious folks ! I do not want to be too presumptuous but member @Aridon has a 395 Momentum and they may be a good contact for you. I am sure they would be willing to share and help in any way they can.

There are other members with the 395 as well but they come to mind right out of the box.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place with lots of good info and people.

We've been really happy with our 395 and sure you'll be happy as well.

30 amp service will work nearly identically across all RVs. Some manufactures will put an EMS that sheds loads, some don't, some add switches to airs some don't etc but you'll find 30 amp is 30 amp and you can run the same amount of stuff as far as the power hookup is concerned.

We haven't been on 30 amp yet with our momentum but the power management system is similar as our newmar's. You shouldn't have any issues and everything should work just like you're used to.

If not, this is a good place to ask and seek help.

On our walkthrough we noticed the back of the water panel had a very slow leak. Barely weeping. Ultimately we ended up with plumbing issues, bubbled red hot water hose and I replaced it all with PEX. Not as hard of a job as it sounds.

Take down the false wall in storage and check out the plumbing really well. After you get it home put a smoke detector down there and some water sensors so you aren't caught by surprise.

Our front air wasn't tightened down all the way. First night condensation dripped in a bit from the roof. Easy fix, just needed to be tightened.

Our air conditioner baffles were good, I added some tape but overall they were good. Others have reported issues so check them.

Otherwise we've been good thus far with everything else.

I'm a bit meticulous with some things so I've been under the RV and hit all the areas that may of had a touch of rust with a converter and paint. Mostly the springs and bolts but a few tiny spots here and there. Same with a few bolts and screws outside under the slide outs. Eternabond my seams on the roof so I don't have to worry about my end caps. Ended up swapping the norcold fridge for residential, added a dishwasher...

List goes on and on lol

Anyway, Grand design has been great to work with and if anything happened to this unit I'd order another. We've been super happy with most everything.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, isle @Aridon is already helping out you are in good hands there.
    Enjoy the new rig.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. We got it set up this morning and have notice a few little things; mainly the center A/C doesn't seem to cool during the day. The bedroom and toy hauler area stay as cool as cucumbers but the center stays about 85 and doesn't cool off until the evening. A couple of the screens seemed warped and wouldn't click into place but General RV is ordering new ones. Do you know if there is a trick to getting the end caps off the pull-down shades? They're ordering pull-down cords for all the shades because some were missing. I was going to swap one from the dining room to the back of the couch until they come in. I also wonder why they made the tie-down straps under the table non-removable. They are so ugly to look at I know this sounds stupid, but where are the baffles for the A/C located? Which storage has the false wall?

Do you have Direct TV? GD sure doesn't make it easy to place a receiver anywhere. We had a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder but love the setup of the 395M. We gave up a few things but gained some too; more gained

Appreciate your feedback.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmoore2007 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. We got it set up this morning and have notice a few little things; mainly the center A/C doesn't seem to cool during the day. The bedroom and toy hauler area stay as cool as cucumbers but the center stays about 85 and doesn't cool off until the evening. A couple of the screens seemed warped and wouldn't click into place but General RV is ordering new ones. Do you know if there is a trick to getting the end caps off the pull-down shades? They're ordering pull-down cords for all the shades because some were missing. I was going to swap one from the dining room to the back of the couch until they come in. I also wonder why they made the tie-down straps under the table non-removable. They are so ugly to look at I know this sounds stupid, but where are the baffles for the A/C located? Which storage has the false wall?

Do you have Direct TV? GD sure doesn't make it easy to place a receiver anywhere. We had a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder but love the setup of the 395M. We gave up a few things but gained some too; more gained

Appreciate your feedback.
    If you pull the inside part of the air conditioner down or even just remove the filters, you'll see there is separation in there where cold air going to the vents and warm air return should be separated. On ours there is a foam piece in there, ours was fine but I taped it.

The false wall in storage, there are two walls that come down easy. The one directly in the rear as you climb in it will be directly in front of you. This is where the water system is. The one with the vacuum on it also removes and the transfer switch, converter and tanks are behind there as well as plumbing. When you stick your head in and look left there are your my control panel boards.

The straps under the table are held with a screw. Just take out the screw, never had issues with them moving.

On ours we ran several HDMI from the bunk area down behind the TV. We use that space for storage and I run my network and gaming systems from up there. You could easily put a DirecTV box up there, they use rf remotes, all you need is to grab a rg6 from the back bedroom or run another to the back of the TV area and connect the satellite from outside to there. They are all individual runs. Drill a hole behind the TV and one in the bunk area, snake the rg6 down and you'd be all set. I did mine, facing the tv, on the left side because there is a large stud in the way middle and right would be a pia if have to crawl all the way to the back of the bunk foot area. Easy access if you remove the radio.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Donna Moore