User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foreign Country Advise, Canada, Sault St. Marie to Quebec

A Floridians revenge is to go visit Canada in the summer/fall. But because it is a foreign county I have some stupid tourist questions:

1. What is a good grocery store to look for? In Florida we have Publix, NY had Wagners, Colorado has Safeway, Texas has HEB, what is the Canadian equivalent?

2. I have lots of apps to help me get my big old Momentum into truck stops to refuel, how does one find a truck stop in Canada?

3. In Quebec, do they drive on the left side or the right side of the road?

4. What is the dumbest thing US citizens do when they come to Canada? I want to know so I don't do that. Had to think about this one a minute, almost said Americans, but wait Canada is in North America, does that make them Americans also?

5. Crossing the border should be fun, we have the little plastic passport cards. If I am reading things right we can't take any dairy products, meat, fruits, vegetables across. I am drinking my vodka, rum, scotch and bourbon as fast as I can, I should have the beer gone also, internet said I can take 2 bottles of wine, it's a good thing, I can only drink so much so fast or I tend to get ill. Got rabie papers for the dog, got titles and vehicle registrations. Guns are at my daughters in Texas. Any other do's and don't for crossing the border?

6. Internet says I need to be able to prove that I can pay my way in Canada, do I need cash? If so how much? Where can I get money exchanged? My Capitol One credit card does not charge for currency exchange my my Chase and Bank of America cards do, hopefully most folks will accept a Capitol One Master card, any advise?

I know most of you are giggling a little right now, that's ok. I am nervous about traveling to a different country, The way things work is a lot the same, but a little bit different. I just don't want to end up in a Canadian Prison because I am ignorant.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some answers to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    A Floridians revenge is to go visit Canada in the summer/fall. But because it is a foreign county I have some stupid tourist questions:

1. What is a good grocery store to look for? In Florida we have Publix, NY had Wagners, Colorado has Safeway, Texas has HEB, what is the Canadian equivalent?

Sobey's, Metro, Zehrs, Loblaws, Food Basics are the ones close to us. They change a bit depending on where in the country. Quebec has others that we don't have in Ontario.

2. I have lots of apps to help me get my big old Momentum into truck stops to refuel, how does one find a truck stop in Canada?

On the 400 series highways you will have the "On Route chain" and other such as Esso. On the Trans Canada Highway they could be any brand including Flying J but not that popular in Canada.

3. In Quebec, do they drive on the left side or the right side of the road?

Drive same side of the road as the rest of North America.

4. What is the dumbest thing US citizens do when they come to Canada? I want to know so I don't do that. Had to think about this one a minute, almost said Americans, but wait Canada is in North America, does that make them Americans also?

Trying to bring guns into Canada is a strict no no. We have much stricter gun laws so best to leave it at home as it will likely be confiscated. There are some exceptions but generally best to leave them in the US.

5. Crossing the border should be fun, we have the little plastic passport cards. If I am reading things right we can't take any dairy products, meat, fruits, vegetables across. I am drinking my vodka, rum, scotch and bourbon as fast as I can, I should have the beer gone also, internet said I can take 2 bottles of wine, it's a good thing, I can only drink so much so fast or I tend to get ill. Got rabie papers for the dog, got titles and vehicle registrations. Guns are at my daughters in Texas. Any other do's and don't for crossing the border?

Packaged food should not be an issue. When we travel to the US we generally bring regular grocery food in but check out the Canadian Border control for up to date info as it can change. Alcohol and cigarettes are more tightly controlled coming into Canada. We pay a lot more than you do because of the high taxes. Dog stuff is good. Ignore my gun comment above as I see you already took care of that.

6. Internet says I need to be able to prove that I can pay my way in Canada, do I need cash? If so how much? Where can I get money exchanged? My Capitol One credit card does not charge for currency exchange my my Chase and Bank of America cards do, hopefully most folks will accept a Capitol One Master card, any advise?

Credit cards are fine. Some cash would be good but we take credit cards for pretty much everything just like you do in the US.

I know most of you are giggling a little right now, that's ok. I am nervous about traveling to a different country, The way things work is a lot the same, but a little bit different. I just don't want to end up in a Canadian Prison because I am ignorant.
    You will be fine in Canada. Very much like the US. There are differences for sure but we never have any issue in the US so you will be fine in Canada. Traffic laws are very similar just in metric for speed limits and distance. Quebec is the most different with the French language but nearly everyone in the tourist industry and grocery stores speak english. We were in Quebec City just over a year ago and absolutely no issues with language. Some of the Quebers speak better English that some people I know in Ontario.

Enjoy your Canadian vacation.

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 08-26-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are truck stops along the 400 series of hwys. Every province and territory drive on the same side of the road.
    Stupid question that Americans ask, do you have snow all year round? Can we ice fish in the summer?
    No Canadian's are not Americans even though we live in North America, the same holds true for Mexico and the countries of South America.
    At the border they will ask if you are bringing a gun into Canada. You actually can bring a long gun into Canada, there is a form to fill out on-line at Canads customs. You can only bring a long gun no hand guns or anything automatic, you also can't say for protection on the form. You can say for sket shooting at a rifle range with Canadian friends. Be warned trying to take that rifle back into New York State can be a real problem. Best to leave it at home. They will ask you if you have over 10,000 Canadian you must declare at the border if you do. You can bring as much as you want into Canada but you must declare it same as the USA. Yes you can use your Capital One Mastercard in Canada at probably every place you need to use it. Just be polite answer their questions and you will be fine.
    The biggest shock will be at the gas pumps. Our gas is in liters and when you see 112.9 on a gas station sign don't think you died and went to heaven. When it keeps going past 100.00 you will realize the 112.9 is not by the gallon. 3.8 liters in a gallon do the math that's when you die.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you roll up to the border crossing officer, roll down all your windows and have all occupants remove any hats or sunglasses. Have all your passports/cards ready. Don't hand over anything else unless asked for it. They'll ask why you're visiting (purpose of your trip), where you'll be staying and for how long, any guns, produce, etc. Only answer what is asked of you. Don't try to extrapolate. Just be polite and say you're here for a nice vacation. It's MUCH easier getting into Canada than it is coming back into the USA.

Don't try to "speak Canadian" by ending your sentences with "eh?". Most Canadians don't talk like that lol. And it'll be very obvious you don't have a Canadian accent.

There are not nearly as many fast food places to stop at along the highways. Timmy's is pretty common (Tim Horton's donut shops).

They do have Flying J, Esso, and PetroCan fuel stations.

Your credit card should work everywhere. Don't be surprised when you eat at a restaurant when it's time to settle up the bill. They bring you a portable card reader and do the transaction at your table. They waiter or cashier will insert your credit card, punch in the charges, and then hand you back the machine for you to enter in a tip. You can enter that as percentage or a number in Canadian currency.

Don't know about Quebec itself, but most highway rest stops are not like the ones in the US. They're much smaller and tend to be built to blend in with the scenery. And they're sometimes a bit off the road.

Don't forget to change your speedometer from MPH to KPH when you cross the border. A good time to do this is while you're waiting in line at the border crossing.

If you like coffee and croissants, be sure to enjoy those at every opportunity. They were among my favorite items to enjoy in the area. Oh the croissants!

Enjoy your trip. I love Quebec City and Montreal. The food is sublime.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TheLexx . . . Great Explanation . . . Well said!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you see For SUR under a Moose Crossing sign, it does not mean you are for Sure going to see a moose.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're traveling close to the U.S. border in Canada, don't hesitate to dip south in the U.S. to fill your fuel tank up. Have you seen the price of gasoline up there?

Last time we traveled to Cape Breton Island, the sales taxes were 15% and the cheapest beer available was $12.99 a six pack. It's enough to drive one to be a teetotaler.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good tips thank you! Tomorrow is crossover day and our refrigerator is almost empty. The booze cabinet is almost empty. We will finish that up around the last of our fire wood at the campfire tonight. Reservations are made. Credit Card fraud department refused one of the reservation deposits, had to straighten that out.

DW is getting a kick out of watching the currency exchange thing. $30 deposit showed up on credit card bill at $22 and change. We plan to do some tourist stuff in Ottawa and Quebec, about 10 days total. Should be fun.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I assume if I show up at the border and have a 5 gal keg of red AND white wine , that wouldnt be a good thing ����
    Subbury, Ohio
    Imagine 2800bh
    2019 Silverado 1500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve c View Post
    Can I assume if I show up at the border and have a 5 gal keg of red AND white wine , that wouldnt be a good thing ����
    Not good for you. Probably good for the border guys though after they take it away from you.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast