User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outer races can be removed very easily with a wire welder. I run a couple short beads on the inside area of the race that the bearings ride on. Let them cool a couple minutes and they shrink and practically fall out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    The outer races can be removed very easily with a wire welder. I run a couple short beads on the inside area of the race that the bearings ride on. Let them cool a couple minutes and they shrink and practically fall out.
    Agreed that this works very well and is the method that I use (a stick welding bead works the same way) but I doubt that this discussion involves the option of applying a weld bead .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I bought a cheap race driver set on Amazon for $26 which worked fine.
    @minnow101 . . . Do you use this tool for removing the old race or just for installing the new one?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reflection was manufactured in 2015 with Lippert axles. Wasn’t on the axle recall list. Went through the whole grease leaking/brake problem and had the bearings replaced and repacked yearly.

To the site administrator.....Not sure we are all talking about the same issue. Should this be moved?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one bearing disintegrate on my 2800BH outside of Oklahoma City on I-40. Caught on fire; destroyed the entire hub and drum. Had to have the inner bearing race chiseled off. A few days later another one disintegrated just west of the Grand Canyon. A nice lady pulled along side me and told me my trailer wheel was on fire. Out of an abundance of caution I replaced the remaining bearings. Haven’t had any problems since. Unfortunately, it cost me almost $900 to get repairs done on the side of the road for parts that cost a small fraction of that. The good side is that after watching the guys make road side repairs I now know how to replace hubs, drums, and bearings.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Driving out races that are showing no signs of unusual wear after many miles, just because these bearings and races were not made in North America . . . doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob
    The reason for doing this, is to make sure the bearing and the race are compatible material. If you knew you already had Timken, and were replacing with Timkin, and your races looked good, I would be a lot less concerned with replacing the races. Going from an unknown to a quality product could tear up one or the other pre-maturely.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We were in Alaska when the outer bearing on my 29RS failed...
    We had the same thing happen on our 2019 29RS not 8 days after buying it new. Our dexter axles on the 29RS are 5400lb axles. The Dexter recall was on the 4000lb axles. But boy were they interested in the failure. This happened about a week or two before the news was made public on the 4000lb recall. Dexter sent two new axles to us in Price UT (pop 10,000). A town we were just traveling through. We were layed up there for almost a week. We paid two service bills but Grand Design reimbursed us for both.

If I may ask exactly what is done at an "annual service"?

Thanks
    Mike

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post

If I may ask exactly what is done at an "annual service"?

Thanks
    Mike
    Not sure what a shop does, but I pull all the hubs, inspect all bearings and races, clean them and hand pack with fresh grease and install new grease seals. I also clean off brake dust, inspect inner hub, brake shoes and magnet, make sure all the brake springs look good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure what a shop does, but I pull all the hubs, inspect all bearings and races, clean them and hand pack with fresh grease and install new grease seals. I also clean off brake dust, inspect inner hub, brake shoes and magnet, make sure all the brake springs look good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what I do when I service the bearings.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    The reason for doing this, is to make sure the bearing and the race are compatible material. If you knew you already had Timken, and were replacing with Timkin, and your races looked good, I would be a lot less concerned with replacing the races. Going from an unknown to a quality product could tear up one or the other pre-maturely.

Jim
    I understand that bearings and races should be replaced together . . . I just don't see the need to replace rather than clean, inspect and re-grease if they are performing correctly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast