User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accurate Tongue Weight Measurement

Does anyone know if the CAT scales offer a small pad that you can set your jack on for an accurate reading? Any other place to do this?

I'm trying to avoid purchasing one of the jack scales on-line...They're all around $125 and get very spotty reviews. Also, I'm not overly impressed with the bathroom scale/4x4 method but that'll be my only choice if I strike out here.

Thanks and Cheers! Oz

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Does anyone know if the CAT scales offer a small pad that you can set your jack on for an accurate reading? Any other place to do this?
    You can weigh both the trailer and the TV together, pull off and disconnect and then re-weigh. The difference in the TV weight would be the tongue weight.

This is what we do with 5th wheels to get the pin weight.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get it now...had to draw a picture and make formulas, but I get it. Thanks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post

I'm trying to avoid purchasing one of the jack scales on-line...They're all around $125 and get very spotty reviews. Also, I'm not overly impressed with the bathroom scale/4x4 method but that'll be my only choice if I strike out here.

Thanks and Cheers! Oz
    You may want to consider purchasing one of these: https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Haul-Gauge/HG103.html
    I have found it to be dead on accurate at times and other times off by about 100 pounds so I usually reweigh a few times and take the number that comes up more often. It's close enough in my book. However, you are still going to have to pay about $100 for it but saves you a lot of time from having to go to the scales. Pretty neat device and has probably saved my bacon a few times from my utility trailer from being overloaded.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a CAT scale and do the 3 weigh procedure.
    1. Truck only...not trailer attached and the truck loaded like it would be when you are headed out to camp....fuel, passengers, tools, firewood, etc....whatever you put in the truck to take along.
    2. Truck and trailer together WITH the W.D. system engaged and set like it would be when you are going camping....Trailer loaded mostly like it would be when you are going camping....water in the fresh water tank (if you do that), clothing, etc. You may have to guess some weight for food items and that kind of stuff if you don't want to load that to go to the scales.
    3. Disengage the W.D. hitch but leave the trailer HOOKED UP to the truck.

The CAT scales will allow you to do as many weights as you like, and the first weight is about $11, then tell the scale attendant that you are doing reweigh for number 2 and for number 3. Those will cost you another $2/each....for a total of about $15.

When you get done and back home, go to this website https://fifthwheelst.com/ and when the page loads, click on the "4 Step Weight Safety Plan" at the top of the page. There are 4 steps to follow in this procedure. Make sure to do the "worksheet" first and get all the numbers that you need, then proceed through the steps. The worksheet will allow you to have all the numbers/info in hand to be able to do the actual calculation .....it actually calculates for you and then shows you if you are "over" capacity (in RED) or if everything about your truck trailer is OK....in green. This is the very best, most informative site I have found for doing this type of calculations for weights.

NOTE: Make sure when you start through the procedure that you have selected the one for Tow Behind or travel trailer....and not the 5th Wheel type trailer. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience was good using the scale. I have a 5th wheel now so no longer use it. PM me and I will let you have this one for $60 plus shipping. Its good to 1000lbs and is made well. There is a stud that screws in the middle thats not shown. Made by Shureline.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale 1000lb .jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	22721
    Last edited by avidcamper; 09-19-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    2018 303RLS dual AC , table with chairs and 3 awning covers.. pulled by a 2021 GMC 3500 AT4, Andersen hitch with Factory turnover ball

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome...Thank You!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avidcamper View Post
    My experience was good using the scale. I have a 5th wheel now so no longer use it. PM me and I will let you have this one for $60 plus shipping. Its good to 1000lbs and is made well. There is a stud that screws in the middle thats not shown. Made by Shureline.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale 1000lb .jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	22721
    I got excited there for a sec! Unfortunately, I think I'm well over 1000#s. Thanks, anyway, though

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avidcamper View Post
    I have a 5th wheel now so no longer use it.
    You can change your Sherline scale to 5th wheel pin weight range (5000 lbs) just by changing the pressure gauge from Sherline.
    https://www.sherline.com/product/800...acement-gauge/

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cate and Rob, Think I will hang on to it and just upgrade the gauge. Since I use a Anderson hitch it will work perfectly.
    Last edited by avidcamper; 09-22-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    2018 303RLS dual AC , table with chairs and 3 awning covers.. pulled by a 2021 GMC 3500 AT4, Andersen hitch with Factory turnover ball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast