User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Why Do Manufacturers Not........

I have been reading and always thought about this. So many RV's are much heavier on one side VS the other. Why don't manufacturers not pay attention to the weight disparity when designing and building. In stead stove, fridge, microwave TV pantry all on one side then the cheap light furniture and dinette on the other. This doesn't even make sense to someone as simple minded as myself. Why not build a more balanced rig and put Fridge (probably the heaviest of appliances) on one side and balance with stove pantry and the such on the other or even in the middle? Would some thinking in this direction help in the suspension problems that seem to be common?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fridge and stove are on the same side to minimize the gas line run. I'm sure most of use would be happy to pay a bit extra but........
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floor plan layout, aesthetics, costs etc.

You start moving fridges to the other side you really break up the kitchen areas and block a big part of the wall / slide that would be open and have a big window.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On propane lines, I have runs down both sides of my trailer anyways, since my kitchen and outdoor kitchen are on opposite sides.

I had my bearings/seals/brakes inspected on my trailer in preparation for a longer trip we have planned, the drivers side (water heater, kitchen, 3 slides, etc) showed much more signs of wear and use. The grease was further gone, the breaks had worked harder, the bearings were visibly more "used". It is a shame rigs are not better balanced - but many things about how RVs are built are a shame lol
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in reality, the coaches are fairly well balanced. While you see the stove and refrigerator on one side, the larger slide is on the opposite side, additionally, the water tanks are probably installed to one side or the other depending on the center of weight distribution.

If you really want to know how well your coach is balanced, find a "Smart Weigh" station (sponsored by Escapees) and have your rig weighed, they will weigh each wheel individually and will let you know if your rig is out of balance. this will let you know if you need to load your heavy items on one side or the other.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add, that although it appears my trailer is not balanced side to side, the tire pressures and temperatures are the same per my TPMS (tire/stem temps, NOT hubs/bearings - no data on that currently)
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @CGDG93,

You make an observation that is very true. The two most popular Reflection 5th wheels (303 & 337) carry 800 to 1000 lbs more on the left side because of where all the appliances and storage are located. This is driven by wanting the majority of the windows on the right side . . . overlooking your own campsite, not the neighbour’s.

This weight difference is easy to accommodate by putting stronger springs on the left side, but this is not an engineering concept acknowledged by Grand Design or Lippert. ((There are many threads on this topic on this forum.)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw an interesting video yesterday. Sumo springs now for towables. The guy noticed less body roll......

https://youtu.be/268RxFsUJsE
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, wonder if these work better than a pair of shocks? They are a little pricey for what you get.
    2018 303RLS dual AC , table with chairs and 3 awning covers.. pulled by a 2021 GMC 3500 AT4, Andersen hitch with Factory turnover ball

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good comments! My search started in Reflection and the axel and spring issues plague them. I do not want this to be a GD bashing or Reflection as the FPs are pretty much all the same across the industry. It seems so simple to make some changes for example in a RL to place the fridge in the middle against the bathroom wall or opposite the stove and water heater. I believe some subtle rearrangement making for a more balanced unit though might take some getting use to would be accepted once owners rationalize the problems that MIGHT be reduced. It might reduce some problems such as axel and spring failures slides not having to move so much weight etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast