User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they all welded on the inside (side) on the leading edge (front facing) of the hanger?
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500; 2017 Reflection Fifth Wheel 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy+Mo View Post
    Are they all welded on the inside (side) on the leading edge (front facing) of the hanger?
    All are welded inboard side on the leading edge and outboard side on the trailing edge . . . but, I can’t see that this would really matter as long as the welds are on opposite sides.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - I have been talking to the folks at Lippert and looks like I am gonna need to get the v-clips fabricated by a local source. The inside dimension of the hanger looks to be almost 2” and as you know it tapers. In an earlier post I saw this “They are pieces of 1 3/4 x 1/4 x 6 flat bar bent to 90*.” That leaves about a 1/4 play inside I believe. Sound right to you?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy+Mo View Post
    Rob - I have been talking to the folks at Lippert and looks like I am gonna need to get the v-clips fabricated by a local source. The inside dimension of the hanger looks to be almost 2” and as you know it tapers. In an earlier post I saw this “They are pieces of 1 3/4 x 1/4 x 6 flat bar bent to 90*.” That leaves about a 1/4 play inside I believe. Sound right to you?
    1/4" of clearance would be a lot. I just measured the reinforcements in my hangers (installed by Lippert) and they are closer to 1 7/8" wide. The 1/4" thick by 6" long dimensions are correct. To get the correct width . . . I think the ideal dimension looks to be 1 13/16" . . . these could be fabricated by accurately cutting slices of 6" x 1/4" flat bar.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-25-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, that makes sense to me. I took another measure this morning my self. I think you are right on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you guys are really overthinking this repair without considering the cause. First, replace the hanger as it's cracked and any attempt to repair it would only crack again. Be sure all of the old weld is ground off and a smooth surface is prepped before attaching the new one. Now the reason, that's a stress crack from lateral loading. You are right to think of additional bracing and/or support but I would check the rest of your suspension is lined up properly. Are you making a lot of sharp turns that would put a side load on the axles / springs? Are you using ST tires that have some sidewall flex?
    I agree that additional bracing would help. Angle iron that would span the opening width is every bit as good as bent flat plate. No more than 1/16" gap on the sides, these need to be fillet welds not open butt welds.
    My preference is to add plates at the open ends to box the hanger. Bracing like the Morryde brace on at least the center hangers helps alot. My front and rear hangers are drilled already so I used 2" x 1/8" angle. Welded plate on the ends and drilled so I could bolt to the hangers using the bolt holes. Another thing is examine all the welds. They should look smooth with no cavities or lumps. I saw pictures someone posted of the "V-clips" they had welded on by Lippert at some gathering. I have to say I wouldn't let that welder anywhere near my rig!
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed 3 Moryde Cross braces hoping this would be elliminated. Has anyone had this happen once the Moryde system is installed?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw pictures someone posted of the "V-clips" they had welded on by Lippert at some gathering. I have to say I wouldn't let that welder anywhere near my rig!

It does not matter what the weld looks like as long as it is strong. "professional " welders get under my skin that way. Like the rest of us cant make a good strong weld without it looking like a piece of art....BS. A weld, unless you are trying to get certified as a welder, does not have to be pretty. It can look nice, but even then it might fail.....IMO
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    I saw pictures someone posted of the "V-clips" they had welded on by Lippert at some gathering. I have to say I wouldn't let that welder anywhere near my rig!

It does not matter what the weld looks like as long as it is strong. "professional " welders get under my skin that way. Like the rest of us cant make a good strong weld without it looking like a piece of art....BS. A weld, unless you are trying to get certified as a welder, does not have to be pretty. It can look nice, but even then it might fail.....IMO
    If you are quoting me I would have to say you have an uninformed opinion and little knowledge of what you are prescribing to. I had an apprentice that had a hard time learning to tie knots in rope. He was a good mechanic and generally picked up on things quickly, he just had a block when it came to this skill. His line was "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot". That seems to be your approach to welding.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-02-2019 at 04:03 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make my point. Thanks......Don't get me wrong, I have seen some BAD welding!!! But not mine, BUT they are not works of art either...
    Last edited by phonemannn; 11-02-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast