User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PEX ring clamp fitting

Hot water line to kitchen sink failed. The PEX ring clamp released and water line came off fitting. Dry camping, using h2o pump. Fitting came off and pump pumped all water both overboard and under sink cabinet. Almost impossible to reach to repair. Got an automotive style clamp on. Holding so far. Still on the road, fingers crossed. Anyone else experience something like this?
    Fitting is under floor and behind furnace.
    Imagine 2600RB
    Last edited by cuav8r; 09-28-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Omission

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first got our rig in, I added a dish washer which ended up getting me intimately involved with the plumbing. Going under there to check how things were run, I noticed there was a very small drip off of our main water panel which i found later only happened when someone was in the shower and even then it would be the size of a dime. While under there, I had found our hot water hose had bubbled

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180520_132244.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	22829

I tried to tape and tighten the connections as I replaced the hot water hose with more cheap garbage but it kept leaking and not only that I noticed another drip down the line that I had not seen before.

I tried to fix them again, never was able to get it dry. So I ripped it all out and replaced it with Pex. I was never a fan of the the complicated valves on the Nautilus. Obviously not a fan of leaky pipes. I ripped it out, put pex and simplified it tremendously. Well worth the day of work and ended a week of endless frustration, cursing and false hope that I would open the storage and not see water on the floor.
    Last edited by Aridon; 09-28-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuav8r View Post
    Hot water line to kitchen sink failed. The PEX ring clamp released and water line came off fitting. Dry camping, using h2o pump. Fitting came off and pump pumped all water both overboard and under sink cabinet. Almost impossible to reach to repair. Got an automotive style clamp on. Holding so far. Still on the road, fingers crossed. Anyone else experience something like this?
    Fitting is under floor and behind furnace.
    Imagine 2600RB
    Was it soft tubing (not PEX) where the failure occurred? A fair number of people have had that problem and some strongly suggest replacing all soft tubing with PEX.

One of the most vociferous and knowledgeable critics of the soft tubing that GD uses to avoid the work of installing PEX end-to-end is the member @Cate&Rob, and if you search here for his username in plumbing threads you’ll find advice and useful PDFs on the plumbing work he has done.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I, in my ignorance, assumed it was PEX as there are PEX crimp rings around the hosing. Hose didn't fail, the fitting pulled out of the red tubing causing the leakage. Tough area to access. Hopefully our fix will hold for the two weeks left in our trip. Guess I'll need to get under the trailer and remove floor panel for better access?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob (Cate&Rob), several others and I have replaced the flexible hose in our systems. The first link is to Rob’s post where he explains the issue using Pex fittings with flexible hose. The second link is my write up on my replacement of flexible hose in my Solitude.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...968#post171968

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...926#post256926

If the cinch ring is put to close to the end of the hose and not far enough down on the fitting, pressure could build up and possibly release the fitting from the hose. Also if the ring was not cinched tight enough during installation or the cinch tool had not been adjusted, same scenario, fitting slipping from the hose.

Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information, thanks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    The second link is my write up on my replacement of flexible hose in my Solitude.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...926#post256926
    Lyle, is this the pump that you used?

https://www.amazon.com/Remco-55-AQUA...9714273&sr=8-1

The description of that pump says it shuts off at 75-85 psi water pressure, quite a bit higher than the 40-50 psi more typical in RVs. Is yours the same? No problems with that? Is it adjustable?

The Amazon page also describes the pump as both a 5.3gpm and a 3.5gpm pump. Which is it?

Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Lyle, is this the pump that you used?

https://www.amazon.com/Remco-55-AQUA...9714273&sr=8-1

The description of that pump says it shuts off at 75-85 psi water pressure, quite a bit higher than the 40-50 psi more typical in RVs. Is yours the same? No problems with that? Is it adjustable?

The Amazon page also describes the pump as both a 5.3gpm and a 3.5gpm pump. Which is it?

Thanks.
    Hi Mark,

Yes, I am using the ARV but have all my plumbing converted to Pex now. Next weekend I will check my pressure gauge on the outlet side of the pump and let you know what reading I am getting when its fully pressurized. I know the ARV manufacturer's spec sheets indicate max is 65psi and the Flojet model I took out was rated at 50psi max.

Here is the link to the manufacturer's website on the AES and ARV pumps. http://www.remcoindustries.com/product-pages/aquajet/

You could certainly put a regulator on the outlet side of the pump to reduce it to 50psi or less.

We are still working full-time and are just weekenders for now. The higher GPM rating is nice to have but I will likely switch to the AES model once we retire and want to dry camp for longer periods. Less water for the waste tanks with the lower GPM but still 65psi on the AES model too.

Lyle
    Last edited by CloseToRetirement; 09-28-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked for a company that makes the PEX tubing. The crimped bands fail all the time. A big problem is the crimping tool is not calibrated on a regular basis. With the production pace in the RV business I would be surprised if they ever get calibrated. One solution for repairs is to remove the crimp ring and install the PEX. Push pull fitting. These are sold at the big box stores for the do it your self home repairs. The push pull fittings are used in marine applications with a lot of success.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "One solution for repairs is to remove the crimp ring and install the PEX Push pull fitting."

What are these fittings you speak of??
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast