User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Always cracks me up when people that paid $75k more for a trailer than I did think I'm the fool for spending $4k on batteries.
    Just sayin

Wow never said you were a fool and was just kidding around with you man, no need to get defensive. You're right, we pay a lot for these rigs and we all enjoy them in our own way. You have a very impressive battery system and I'm glad it works for you. What we paid for our trailers is our own business. Jus saying
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DaveMatthewsBand those are BattleBorn batteries IIRC? Still completely happy with them? Any caveats?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone.... time for a quick reminder of how fast things can go south sometimes.... this thread looks like a good example. And it got reported for some not so positive responses....

No profanity... not even implied. It’s one our forum rules. Be polite, respect each other and their opinions.

It’s ok to disagree. But very hard to tell when on line and not face-to-face when someone if joking (or not).

A few of us moderators discussed what to do with the reported thread and by the time we got to this it seems maybe we’re back on track. But we thought it a good time to publicly make a comment about posting stuff rather than fire off PMs, remove comments, etc.

‘nuff said..... back to batteries.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @DaveMatthewsBand those are BattleBorn batteries IIRC? Still completely happy with them? Any caveats?

The Battle Borns are great, no caveats, but to be honest, if I was building the system today I would go a different route.
    The Lion Energy batteries are a better deal in my opinion.

Since they are quite a bit smaller I could fit 5 of them in the same space my 4 BB's fit.
    They are rated at and test at 90ah each. The Lions weigh significantly less (21 lbs vs. 29 lbs) or 25% less if my math is correct.
    Weight is a big factor for my trailer since I have such a large setup and 7 panels on the roof.
    Both manufacturers have amazing warranties. 10 years for BB and lifetime for Lion.

The Lion also has substantially better discharge rates of 150a continuous, 250a for 60 secs and 900a for a millisecond spike!
    BB advertises 100a continuous, 200a for only 30 secs, but doesn't disclose an exact amp amount for a spike.

The Lion cost $799 each versus $949 for the Battle Born.
    These are the current prices taken from Continuous Resources.
    I also like the built-in handles on the top of the Lions and the battery check LED on each one.

The main reason we have our setup is so that we don't have to smell the fumes from a generator or listen to it.
    I had a Honda generator before we bought the trailer and we've been carrying with us just in case.
    I can't imagine getting up in the morning and having to go outside to crank that thing up (and hope it's still there) just to have power to run the microwave or watch TV.
    I suppose GD could have offered a big Onan for the Reflection, but those cost just as much as my batteries and add several hundred pounds of weight to the pin so that's a deal breaker.

Aside from the pain in the hiney the Honda would have been as a power supply, we have benefited from our setup several times in the past year while staying at campgrounds with full hook ups where the electrical system was overloaded and our Progressive EMS warned us of low voltage issues, which the parks could do nothing about, and only offered to "let us move to another spot" so we simply disconnected from their grid and used our batteries.

We also like having the power to run everything in our trailer including the a/c well past the deadline when all the generators have to be turned off at some state parks we've visited. I guess the other folks just dealt with the heat and went to bed since they didn't have power.

One campground comes to mind on the Washington coast, when we arrived there were only a couple spots left and everyone was crammed in like sardines. They were so tight they couldn't even open their awnings. We wanted to stay at this campground simply because it was one of the few right next to the beach. Location is everything. So we camped in their overflow, which was a big open grass field that backed up to the forest. We just dumped on the way out a week later. Never ran a generator and had the whole field to ourselves.

I've said it before in other posts, I guess it depends on what your priorities are.
    Mine were having a near endless supply of electricity 24/7 while camping in peace and quiet and boondocking in beautiful locations. Everyone else can spend their money on other stuff.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 09-29-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are using a 300ah RELiON 8D battery and very happy with it as well. I’m lurking on this forum to gain knowledge as I anticipate moving from our current SOB to a 310GK. Specifically watching to see what others have done for solar install on this unit. I installed 900 watts of solar and Victron inverter charger, MPPT, etc along with the RELiON battery. The system is fantastic and I anticipate something similar for the 310GK. I liked that the 8D eliminated the interconnects on three 100amp batteries and will go the same route next time or perhaps use their HP 300 which has Maximum Continuous Discharge Current of 100Amps Peak Discharge Current 800 A (2 s)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mclord View Post
    We are using a 300ah RELiON 8D battery and very happy with it as well. I’m lurking on this forum to gain knowledge as I anticipate moving from our current SOB to a 310GK. Specifically watching to see what others have done for solar install on this unit. I installed 900 watts of solar and Victron inverter charger, MPPT, etc along with the RELiON battery. The system is fantastic and I anticipate something similar for the 310GK. I liked that the 8D eliminated the interconnects on three 100amp batteries and will go the same route next time or perhaps use their HP 300 which has Maximum Continuous Discharge Current of 100Amps Peak Discharge Current 800 A (2 s)
    I was able to get 1,220 watts of Solar on my 310 GK. I used 4 Canadian Solar panels at 305 watts each. I used all Victron Electronics. My Battery is a Tesla Model S battery module with 500 amp hours (at 12 volts) the Tesla Battery is a nominal 24 volt battery.

PS: what does SOB mean ????
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SOB
    The only thing that works on a RV is the owner...
    Jared - 315RLTS - 2500HD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Common (but not only) usage here is "Some Other Brand" (i.e not Grand Design).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These two replies are a good example of how confusing acronyms can be.

Two dichotomous meanings.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try running Ac with your battaries and see how far you go? Far as running TV and xbox thats no load at all. Phone charger 3Ah if you have fast charger it wont take much off your batteries. My fireplace draw 130A
    with you beeng 2A i could go long time on my 4 6v batt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast