User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Quote]..On android, it is under developer options.

PDA net works really well, you could try using it and see how things go from there. Then you can get more technical if needed.

If I used PDA Net, which I have used in the past, I would connect it to my PC via USB. Select USB tether, select hide usage and go on my pc and start pda net app, connect, turn on the hotspot feature in windows, enjoy.
    In this scenario the pc gets the internet from USB via the phone and the PC acts as the router to the other devices which connect just like you would to any other WIFI hotspot. Only downside to this is USB connection to the phone.

Hi again Adirion,
    I have Galaxy 7 and cannot find Developer options on Android menu.
    Went to Security settings though and found a link to
    Usage Data Access....
    T-Mobile ....
    Allow usage tracking (on or off)
    I turned it OFF.

Can't believe it can be this easy but will disabling that, stop T- Mobile from tracking data usage on tethering or hotspot ??
    They claim unlimited 4G data wt my plan, but only allow 10 GB for tether or wireless hotspot.

I use an Asus ROG Strix gaming laptop wt SS drive & 6GB video card, and have a Samsung smart 55" UHD panel TV with the Roku streaming stick in rig.
    I'd just like to stream to TV, using T Mob's 4G network without being limited to 10 GB from the hotspot allowance.
    I checked out PDA Net and it has noted a lot of changes they made to app, most of which I'm not "techy" enuf to grasp.

I don't mlnd phone being tethered to laptop via USB for TV watching. Guess I'll just have to see how the app handles the connection.
    I assume the TV will see the VPN as a connectable network. Is it better if cast using the Win 10 mobile hotspot or can Chromecast be used as well ??

Thanks again,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Da Breeze; 10-02-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Da Breeze;259850]
    ..On android, it is under developer options.

PDA net works really well, you could try using it and see how things go from there. Then you can get more technical if needed.

If I used PDA Net, which I have used in the past, I would connect it to my PC via USB. Select USB tether, select hide usage and go on my pc and start pda net app, connect, turn on the hotspot feature in windows, enjoy.
    In this scenario the pc gets the internet from USB via the phone and the PC acts as the router to the other devices which connect just like you would to any other WIFI hotspot. Only downside to this is USB connection to the phone.

Hi again Adirion,
    I have Galaxy 7 and cannot find Developer options on Android menu.
    Went to Security settings though and found a link to
    Usage Data Access....
    T-Mobile ....
    Allow usage tracking (on or off)
    I turned it OFF.

Can't believe it can be this easy but will disabling that, stop T- Mobile from tracking data usage on tethering or hotspot ??
    They claim unlimited 4G data wt my plan, but only allow 10 GB for tether or wireless hotspot.

I use an Asus ROG Strix gaming laptop wt SS drive & 6GB video card, and have a Samsung smart 55" UHD panel TV with the Roku streaming stick in rig.
    I'd just like to stream to TV, using T Mob's 4G network without being limited to 10 GB from the hotspot allowance.
    I checked out PDA Net and it has noted a lot of changes they made to app, most of which I'm not "techy" enuf to grasp.

I don't mlnd phone being tethered to laptop via USB for TV watching. Guess I'll just have to see how the app handles the connection.
    I assume the TV will see the VPN as a connectable network. Is it better if cast using the Win 10 mobile hotspot or can Chromecast be used as well ??

Thanks again,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Go to settings, find about phone and then find "build number" and tap that a bunch it will unlock developer mode. S7 might not have the option for hardware tether acceleration

Try it without the VPN first and see if it works. PDA net has a masking service that you can select "hide tethering" and see if that works first before you spend money on a VPN.

IF you need to run a vpn, do it on the laptop and the hotspot should run through that vpn. You can verify this by checking your IP with the VPN on and off and see if it changes when you connect to the hotspot via a tablet or another phone. You might have to play with this a little. Remember you might not need a vpn try PDA net first without one and see what happens. You can check your Ip here:

https://www.expressvpn.com/what-is-my-ip

I use express vpn but you can use a different one. Some services won't work with a VPN, netflix can have issues. Youtube tv works on some devices (phone, roku) on a vpn but not on others (pc browser) its a little annoying. I can launch it when the vpn is off, turn on the vpn and it works. Philo has no issues over a VPN. You can also make your own VPN using amazon cloud services if you don't want to use a commercial one

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...-web-services/

That would probably get around the issue entirely. I haven't had to go that route yet but that would be the next step.
    Last edited by Aridon; 10-03-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Verizon jetpack with unlimited data.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pay as you go plan from AT&T. I pay $40 per month unlimited talk and text with 8gigs of internet. I create a hotspot with my phone that I can use with my iPad to stream programming to my Apple TV. It’s worked all over the country for me. We also use it for browsing the internet. Two of us using it haven’t used up all the data. We watch a couple hour movie or other program per week. A certain portion of unused monthly data allotment carries over to the next month so when we aren’t on the road it’s piling up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Canadians, we don't qualify for prepaid plans unless we establish a mailing address, but we still have the same demands for cheap internet while traveling north or south of our US/Canada border. As a computer nerd at heart I have built a system that provides the best access for the cheapest $$. My system revolves around a Mofi4500 cellular router (hotspot) which I use a Telus SIM and an ATT SIM cards for cellular connecting. The MoFi4500 is also a dual wifi repeater which will lock on to Campground WiFi and repeat the connection under my own protected SSID for my equipment to tie into automatically. This is good when the Campground wifi is Open or Password protected, however if the Campground wifi utilizes a captive portal interface, then my AWOW NYi3 Fanless Mini PC, Intel Gemini Lake Windows 10 Pro computer which is ethernet tethered to the MoFi4500 is used to sign into the Campground Wifi portal and then it shares the internet via ethernet cable to the Mofi4500 which intern rebroadcasts the connection under my SSID. The MoFi4500 has an automatic switch that will choose the internet source if it fails from either of the four options; SIM, WAN, Repeater WiFi, or Tethered cellphone sourcing. It's complex but it works like a dream.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked Verizon website and they still have the unlimited prepaid internet for $65/mo with autopay. It super fast and you can plug the hotspot into a compatible router to give your smart RV a stable connection. I also bought a cheap antenna (which adds 2 bars of strength) which plugs into the hotspot.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, if you downsized and decided to leave all of the material world.behind. wifi is easy. If you use the built in hotspot, your carrier is tracking you. So go to tour app store and down load a 2nd party hotspot. That way you get around hot spot limits to some plans. Best is to get a newer unlimited plan. Then use hotspot. We at one time had 3 different plans, Dish, for TV, at&t for data on phone and then a data plan for the puter, well now I stream everything off the phone, and when there is free wifi I use the old dish antenna to boost the signal (search YouTube for that hack) and have cut my bill by over 250 dollars. It is just a bit of research and then dumping the plans that are designed to keep you hooked. Internet is easy, downsizing is where most people mess up.
    We went full time for the freedom it offers. Being tied to high dollar plans is not an option. If I NEED more speed than I normally have. Then I go to town and hack something there. But we watch TV, do business, and stay in communication now with 1 data phone, one older style phone that cost us just 10 a month and pay less than a hundred a month.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Fan View Post
    There are so many ways to configure WiFi/MiFi for multiple devices and streaming services that I have become overwhelmed with all the options. I can get WiFi in my 2018 Ram 2500 tow vehicle from AT&T for $15/month but the signal is too weak to get inside my GD310GK. I tried a Netgear Extender but discovered that it needs a router, not a WiFi signal, so I returned it. I can get WiFi boosters and antennas or LTE devices that will capture satellite signals, but not sure exactly what hardware I need for our mobile devices and Roku enabled TV. I also found a full-service WiFi provider with support for $99/month with no equipment to buy. I suspect LTE is the way to go since it uses satellite instead of weak WiFi signals from campgrounds or other locations and that may be the most reliable signal. I'd appreciate any expertise or suggestions you may have on the best and most economical way to completely configure WiFi/MiFi inside my rig. Thanks for your expertise and suggestions.
    We use Verizon hot spot on an unlimited plan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    We got the Roadlink C2 from Togo. Uses At&t, unlimited 4g for $360 a year. Works great so far. Been able to stream Netflix and wife has been able to use VoIP for work at the same time with no lag.
    https://www.runswithtogo.com/roadlink-product-details
    Just bought one of these myself. Waiting for it to be delivered. May not be the cheapest for part timers, but I like the simplicity and like that the device manages both WiFi and cellular use.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    These folks are the gurus: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Rob
    Looks like it’ll cost $85 to join.

Just watched a YouTube on the ToGo equipment which is coupled with an AT&T plan. That looks promising.
    Last edited by minnow101; 10-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast