User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawers opening during travel on new camper

Hello

We have a new Reflection. 2 of our drawers open during travel. One is in the back bunk room and one is in the front bedroom. The rest of the drawers hold fine. The catches on these drawers are in the center front. I don't know what you call them but here is how I would describe them. On the drawer side it's a diamond shaped piece of metal. On the frame side it's two rollers with springs. The diamond shaped metal is supposed to slide between the caches and be pinched. It's a bit dark at the moment to get a good look at the configuration but it seems to me that the spring roller is mounted too deep. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

I will look harder in the light tomorrow but assuming they don't adjust, I was thinking I would take them out and move them an inch over and remount them. If you have better ideas I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have the right idea on moving the catch so it catches. Sometimes the little diamond part needs slight tweaking as well.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    We have a new Reflection. 2 of our drawers open during travel. One is in the back bunk room and one is in the front bedroom. The rest of the drawers hold fine.
    You might find that adjusting the rollers will help. However we're on our second GD trailer and have had (a few) drawers and (many) cupboards open during travel. My fiddling with the pinch-rollers wasn't successful. I tried a couple of magnetic latches that Newmar uses on its coaches, but my wife felt that they held too strongly.

Our departure routine now includes putting foot-long strips of 2" masking tape on most cupboards and some drawers that might open, taping from the handle down and under the cupboards and taping from the handle around the side of the drawer cabinets. Takes less than two minutes to do before departure and less than half that to remove it when we arrive. We haven't had an unpleasant surprise since we started doing this.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

We have a new Reflection. 2 of our drawers open during travel. One is in the back bunk room and one is in the front bedroom. The rest of the drawers hold fine. The catches on these drawers are in the center front. I don't know what you call them but here is how I would describe them. On the drawer side it's a diamond shaped piece of metal. On the frame side it's two rollers with springs. The diamond shaped metal is supposed to slide between the caches and be pinched. It's a bit dark at the moment to get a good look at the configuration but it seems to me that the spring roller is mounted too deep. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

I will look harder in the light tomorrow but assuming they don't adjust, I was thinking I would take them out and move them an inch over and remount them. If you have better ideas I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Timmer, You can try to make a minor adjustment on the latches. Simply loosen the screws (they are upside down, on either side of the small, metal rectangle that the rollers are mounted in). If you look at one in a more visible location, you’ll see that the holes the screws go through on the metal are elongated, allowing you to slide the whole unit forward a bit. I have to admit, though, these latches are a PIA, and you have to have a great deal of hand strength in order to use the shorter screwdrivers required in the tight locations. Someone else on here shared that the latches work best when located closer to the door handles.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. First thing this morning I saw that our medicine cabinet had the same latch. Indeed it does look like I can move the component out to further so it catches better.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. First thing this morning I saw that our medicine cabinet had the same latch. Indeed it does look like I can move the component out to further so it catches better.
    The frustrating thing is aligning and guessing how far forward (or back) to set the rollers. Then, to test the fit, you must commit (fully tighten the screws)! Our trailer was missing these latches on all the drawers, so I had to buy and install them. If you decide to relocate them, put the roller on first, then push the unattached pointed part in the rollers. If you slather some contrasting substance on the flat metal back of the pointed part, (I used white toothpaste) and close the door/drawer, you’ll have a visual, showing where to mount the point so it’s aligned.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    If you decide to relocate them, put the roller on first, then push the unattached pointed part in the rollers. If you slather some contrasting substance on the flat metal back of the pointed part, (I used white toothpaste) and close the door/drawer, you’ll have a visual, showing where to mount the point so it’s aligned.
    N
    Looking for other procedures/techniques for aligning drawer latch halves? I've been replacing my OEM drawer and cabinet latches with the black plastic snap latches that Winnebago uses in their motorhomes, but I'm frustrated with getting good alignment.

What I've been doing is installing the cabinet half of the latch, then snapping the drawer half of the latch in place, then caulking the drawer half, closing the drawer, opening it, and examining the caulk imprint left on the drawer. If I'm lucky, there'll be two dimples left by the latch screw holes. I think this is the same as @Houndbb suggests.

Improvements welcomed.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the storage door next to the fold-away popped open and I never noticed until the trim on the slide was pried off, I installed a door magnet to help keep it closed. The pinch latch can be adjusted but it's not a very good latch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option to the tape idea is to place a yard stick or a bungee cord through the drawer handles. That way the all have to open for one to open very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use baby safety latches to secure the cabinets when traveling. Walmart cheap and are reusable, simple to use and remove. Admittedly they do not work for single handles but most of the cabinets that are next to each other, just slide the baby lock through two handles and secure.