User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bug Spray - Noseeums

Saw post where someone was canceling camping trip due to noseeums in Northern Florida. We deal with them by using bug spray with Picardin from Walmart. It is much safer than Deet and won't harm clothes or dissolve plastic like Deet. Just don't get it in your eyes or spray your hands and rub your eyes - it hurts (won't hurt them just very painful). Use Walmart's cheaper brand it works just as good as name brands costing twice as much.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Never heard of it, but then, I tend to use area repellents rather than those applied to clothing or skin (can’t get away from the smell).
    http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PicaridinGen.html

Thanks for the tip, always afraid of ticks when doing yard work.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thermocells will work too if not a lot of wind ( noseeums worse when it is calm anyway ). They are made for mosquitos but work on noseeums too, at least that is our experience. We have the larger model, can't remember what they call it.
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Saw post where someone was canceling camping trip due to noseeums in Northern Florida. We deal with them by using bug spray with Picardin from Walmart. It is much safer than Deet and won't harm clothes or dissolve plastic like Deet. Just don't get it in your eyes or spray your hands and rub your eyes - it hurts (won't hurt them just very painful). Use Walmart's cheaper brand it works just as good as name brands costing twice as much.
    We live in FL 6 months out of the year and noseeums are a constant PIA!!! Can you give me the name of the spray that you use please? I think I have tried everything else. I may as well buy one more!! LOL!!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    Thermocells will work too if not a lot of wind ( noseeums worse when it is calm anyway ). They are made for mosquitos but work on noseeums too, at least that is our experience. We have the larger model, can't remember what they call it.
    Just ordered a Thermocell. Will give it a try. Thanks!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm especially sensitive to skeeters and no-see-ums, so I use this product marketed by a company based in Florida: No No-See-Um™

It seems to work well for me, so I bought several bottles and keep one in various convenient places...
    Current RV: 2017 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Former RVs: 2017 Lance 1685, 2017 Lance 1475, 2011 Lance 1685, 2010 Casita 17SD

Tow vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 S-Cab FX4 6.2L MaxTow (obviously, not for current RV)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want. to learn how to get rid of any pest or critter, sign into BugSpray.com and look them up in one of.150+ tutorials. He has a detailed section on noseums, or.sandflies, on how.to.handle them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fyi the thermacell we bought is the backpacker . Sits by itself nicely on the butane canister. Just be aware that not all butane will work. We found that out the hard way. For instance Coleman butane will not work. We took the new thermacell and Coleman butane to the keys. Took a while to find the correct butane. R.c
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but has anyone used Doterra Terra Shield for bugs and mosquitoes? My wife and one of my kids gets big red bumps when they're bit. I'm not so bad. I just ordered some of this stuff and I'm hoping it works. DEET is nasty.

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/p/terr...kaArSyEALw_wcB
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Thermacell and it works if your not moving but when walking or biking it is not as effective. I have some and use them around camper but still spray with Repel with Picaridin (15%) from Walmart and just ordered some 20% Swayers lotion from Amazon. Still get a few bits because usually forget to apply when first get to campground and setting up camper; started leaving spray in cargo bay to remind myself to spray down when I am setting up. As side note, I had allergic reaction to Deet on several occasions therefore never use the nasty stuff.