User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just pulled the trigger on a 2019 337rls. I looked hard at the Montana 294rl with the new floor plan and liked it very much. It was only 34 feet long compared to 36 on the 337rls. The negatives that made me go with the grand design. First, it was heavier and wider, second, heat registers are in the floor. If you every own a camper without floor registers, its hard to go back. The door to the bathroom isn't a pocket door. I will never own another camper with a bathroom door that opens out or in. 3rdly, the basement storage was narrow. Didn't really care for it. Lastly, its a keystone. Grand design is known for there customer support. I took it to the campground this weekend on its maiden voyage and was very impressed with it. It was in the 90's and the coleman air units keep the inside to 74 degrees. I'm not too impressed with the RV fridge. Didn't keep the food as cold as i wanted. I called Grand Design in Elkhart today about the theatre seating. A rep called me back withing the hour. Very impressed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had two Keystone products, both travel trailers, prior to our GD and were pleased with both.

We attended the annual RV show in 2014 in Minneapolis and decided on a Montana model. Friends had this particular model (don't recall the model number) and we liked the floorplan. Our dealer had one on display at the show and we liked the layout.

Fast forward to November, and we visited the dealer to more thoroughly examine that particular model. Upon arrival, the dealer informed us they no longer carried the Montana line and offered to show us a GD Solitude. I spoke with the service manager, who we had established a good relationship, and learned the Montana's were swamping their services bays each year and they gave up the line to become a GD dealer.

Those friends who had the Montana were on their second one and again having issues with it after only 3 years of ownership. It was spending more time in the shop and not in campgrounds. In 2018 they traded in their 2012 Montana and their new model spent 3 of the first 6 months in the shop getting warranty work done to it. He is now considering dumping the Montana for a Solitude.

Our Solitude has been great with very few issues, mostly trim that has needed to be tacked back in place. We are committing to another 5 years in the coach then review our situation as we near retirement and more grandkids in the family, on the next steps (keep the Solitude longer or make a change).
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Montana's are not wide body. 96 inches wide, not 101.

Crowned interior ceiling equals stamped metal roof trusses. Wood trusses are much better. Insulators, not conductors, and screw threads actually grab in wood.

Montana uses a lot of cable driven slides (depending on model). Cables stretch over time.

I have a spread sheet somewhere of the comparison between the two.

Please don’t miss the fact that Hunter 70 works at an RV sales facility and has been with us a long time on this forum!! He sells many makes and models and always jumps in here with his good advice!!!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huntr70, I would also like a copy of that spreadsheet. We are at the crossroads of choosing between the Montana 3121 or Solitude 310. We plan to look at a Solitude this weekend.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
    The Montana 3121RL vs Solitude 310GK are identical floorplans. ... That's ok, but which builder has the better product. I can't make a good decision.......................................... ................let the games begin.
    EDIT: Ooops, just noticed that this is a very old thread. I'll leave the advice anyway for some future wonderer.

You don't have to read too far back in my other posts here to get the impression that our Grand Design dealer is extremely low on my Christmas list; I don't have much faith in the people there and this advice should probably be considered accordingly. Nevertheless...

The dealer sells both Keystone Montana and Grand Design Solitude, and when we decided to trade our Reflection we were considering a Montana as well as a Solitude. He had both in stock but said he would not sell us the Montana.

We hadn't had much trouble with the Reflection we were trading - far less than with the Solitude we have now - but there were issues and I (then new to the RV world) had expressed frustration with the weeks and hassle it took to get them fixed. He said the Montana would be "several times worse" in that regard and said their service department often had trouble getting callbacks from Keystone. Keystone's parent company, Thor, has a reputation for making some of the poorest-built Class A motor homes in their price range.

I have no axe to grind and nothing to gain by telling you this. Internet advice, worth every penny that you've paid for it.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-28-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re still deciding between these two models. This is worth a read:
    https://www.bankstonmotorhomes.com/b...-fifth-wheels/
    I really like the 310GK but a couple things are holding me back. I would much rather have a 12” frame vs the 310’s 10”. I would rather the kitchen stove drawers weren’t behind doors. And that bathroom vanity....would it really cost too much to put in a decent sink and solid surface counter?
    There are things I prefer on the 3120. I like the bedroom closet layout more. I like the much larger pantry in the kitchen. I like the bathroom more. And I like that the entire fridge is accessible with the slides in. Coming from the factory with Sailun tires is also a plus for me. We’re leaning towards the Montana with a Legacy package. Their current late 2020 model, maple interior feels very fresh. I find that most of the differences mentioned in this thread do not relate to the most current examples of either model.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mclord View Post
    We’re still deciding between these two models. This is worth a read:
    https://www.bankstonmotorhomes.com/b...-fifth-wheels/
    I really like the 310GK but a couple things are holding me back. I would much rather have a 12” frame vs the 310’s 10”. I would rather the kitchen stove drawers weren’t behind doors. And that bathroom vanity....would it really cost too much to put in a decent sink and solid surface counter?
    There are things I prefer on the 3120. I like the bedroom closet layout more. I like the much larger pantry in the kitchen. I like the bathroom more. And I like that the entire fridge is accessible with the slides in. Coming from the factory with Sailun tires is also a plus for me. We’re leaning towards the Montana with a Legacy package. Their current late 2020 model, maple interior feels very fresh. I find that most of the differences mentioned in this thread do not relate to the most current examples of either model.
    Although the article in that link is dated 2019, there's a lot of outdated or just plain wrong information in it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends of mine have owned Montanas for over a decade. They have been very brand loyal, however, each of the last three coaches have suffered from a large number of warranty claims. Those claims are both after delivery and during their course of ownership. The 2005 was the most reliable after delivery but in year three they started to become plagued with nagging little items, like electrical and plumbing. They traded the 2005 for a 2012 model and experienced many post delivery issues and in year four they had a leak in the bedroom that could not be resolved. They were in contact with Keystone directly and still no resolution. Last year they traded the 2012 in for a 2018 and again the number of issues at and shortly after delivery were over 60. They are still working with Keystone and dealer on resolving issues.

In the latest conversation with Keystone they offered $2500 with the stipulation they would not pursue the open items any further or submit any new claims. Needless to say they are looking to sell the Montana and are considering a Solitude 310K.

When we purchased our Solitude, our dealer was a large Montana reseller. Upon arrival at the dealer to buy the Montana model that appealed to us, we were informed they no longer carried the Montana product. I have a good relationship with the service manager and he indicated the decision was made because the Montana warranty work was swamping their service bays. The sacrifice was either the Montana line or customers not being able to get their rigs serviced.

We are very happy with our 2015 Solitude and have had very few issues.

Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234