User Tag List

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post

Anyway, off the soap box! But wanted to let you know, my screen name isn't my truck woes.
    Haha ok got it. I feel your pain though, I pay upper 5 figures in taxes every year and it chaps my rear end to go to the grocery store and see very well dressed family's use a food stamp card for 500 bucks in food and go out and get in an Escalade! Somethings wrong with that picture!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    FYI ..... the steering gets better after about 2k or so on the 450. 70 psi in rear improves some of handing and is plenty for the weight they carry.

Thats interesting, wonder why? Maybe the tires wear in or something. I have one on order due in March so I'll test that out. I intend to put on the Ford required 1000 miles on it before towing so it'll see some quick road time before the summer season gets here.
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well after many years of watching that educational series called NASCAR, , my guess is that they get stiffer with use and don’t flex as much when they are new. The new 450s have the new HD3 tire so don’t know if the wondering will be as bad when new. Overall, the 450 is a great truck. I really look forward to the reviews of the new 10 speed paired with the 4:30 gears.
    Overtaxed, nice review of new truck. From experience, it will also stop your rig pretty fast when needed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Thats interesting, wonder why? Maybe the tires wear in or something. I have one on order due in March so I'll test that out. I intend to put on the Ford required 1000 miles on it before towing so it'll see some quick road time before the summer season gets here.
    @Txfivver - Do you use your 350 as a daily driver? I ask because I'm on the fence about SRW vs DRW. I drive about 24 miles one way (New Braunsfels to San Antonio) for work. If you do use it as a daily driver, what mpg do you get with your DRW without the 5er?
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    @Txfivver - Do you use your 350 as a daily driver? I ask because I'm on the fence about SRW vs DRW. I drive about 24 miles one way (New Braunsfels to San Antonio) for work. If you do use it as a daily driver, what mpg do you get with your DRW without the 5er?
    Well, I realize I have little to offer here, but I do daily drive my truck too, although the vast majority of the miles are hitched up. I'm getting around 16-18 in blended driving on the 450. Not great, but not awful (not that different than the 250 was). Honestly, if you're on the fence, drive both. I let all the horror stories (not here, just in general) about how "awful" duallies are to drive color my opinion far too much buying a truck. I should have just bought a duallie from the get go years ago, it's honestly a non-issue for me. I've put about 4K miles on the truck now. Of those miles, about 3K of them, I was thrilled to have the duallie (towing), and the other 1K, it didn't matter one way or the other (around town driving). There are some situations where a duallie is a PITA, and I'm sure I'll run into them and/or have to take another car. Car washes, drive thrus, etc. That's like <1% of my driving that I'm dealing with things like that. Having the other 99% better (towing) or the same (driving around unloaded) makes duallie an easy decision.

The decision tree should be like this, IMHO:

Towing heavy/big rig/often/in tough situations? -> Duallie
    Not doing those things? Then start thinking about SRW vs DRW.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a 2020 Sierra 3500 I will be using to tow a 351M. I'll be towing with a Harley in the rear or a golf kart almost all the time. TV hitch weight is 3180 on the sticker, with a total payload capacity of 3735. I'll also be using an anderson hitch, so I expect to be 3-400 lbs under my hitch weight capacity in the TV.

I'll post numbers from the CAT when I get the 351M, but it's still on order. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191229_075034.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	24154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191229_075041.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	24155

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    Jim I do not have to drive the dually as a commuter, have an Explorer for that. Now having said that I have used is daily several times. It probably gets 13-14 mpg in city driving but on trips w/o the trailer to Houston to see grandson it will knock down 17-18 on the highway. It's really not any harder to commute in that my previous F250 was, just can't use drive thru's and have to park a little further out. It's worth it to me to know I have enough truck. I ordered a 2020 F450 recently for the comfort of always having MORE than enough truck lol!
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your gonna be tight, look at the weigh tickets I got from a 351M. It's about 3K on the pin, IIRC (it's in the beginning on this thread). You will probably be under, but you'll have to pack carefully (water, especially) to keep it within sticker.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    It's really not any harder to commute in that my previous F250 was, just can't use drive thru's and have to park a little further out.
    Exactly my experience. It's just not very "different" unloaded than a 250 (my previous truck) was. Yeah, it's a little wider; but within a very short period of time, I got used to that. No drive thrus and no automatic car washes.

Honestly, having gone through nearly all the Fords now in my life, if you're thinking about towing much, just get a duallie. It's not that much more money, it's significantly better at towing, and it's not significantly worse at anything I do regularly. Yeah, if you stop at MCD for drive in every day, it's going to be different for you. But for me, the duallie is better in 99% of the miles I do and worse in 1%. I'll take that trade.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Your gonna be tight, look at the weigh tickets I got from a 351M. It's about 3K on the pin, IIRC (it's in the beginning on this thread). You will probably be under, but you'll have to pack carefully (water, especially) to keep it within sticker.
    I think I'll be ok thanks to you guys and the amazing research you all have done. Your goosebox was 230 lbs. The trail air rotaflex it comes with is 115 lbs plus the 30 for Anderson so I'll save a little there. I expect to be around 2800 with my golf kart in the back. I never did check the water tank location, but fuel is in the back I believe.

Look forward to the 351m!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast