User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear camera with 2020 F-350

As I finalize purchases of a new F-350 and 310GK, I am wondering about Ford’s option of a “customer-placed rear view camera” on an RV. Anyone know what this $500 option is about and how it may relate to the Furrion camera system which the Solitudes are wired for. I want to simply, but reliably and efficiently, see what is behind my RV as I head down the road or back up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this. Only works in reverse, so it is not an "observation camera" for when you are driving down the road. They energize the camera when you are in reverse. Perhaps you could rewire the connection between the trailer and the truck to energize when the lights are on (like the side mount cameras do). It seems like you could take the $500 and just put it toward a 4-camera system and just get all of the features you really want. On the one hand it would be nice to NOT have an additional 5" or 7" monitor to mount on the dash. But it only works in reverse. Not really what most of us are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylZSsi3RHqs
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the camera kit with my new truck and had it installed. I really like it, much better picture than the Furrion sustem I had before. The picture on the Furrion was pretty bad when driving down the road, freeze ups and pretty grainy pic. The Ford system uses your 8 inch dash display also so no more screens and cords everywhere. Here's a pic at my storage lot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear cam (2).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	28799
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you saying that it works while going down the road or only when you are backing up?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    Something like this. Only works in reverse, so it is not an "observation camera" for when you are driving down the road. They energize the camera when you are in reverse. Perhaps you could rewire the connection between the trailer and the truck to energize when the lights are on (like the side mount cameras do). It seems like you could take the $500 and just put it toward a 4-camera system and just get all of the features you really want. On the one hand it would be nice to NOT have an additional 5" or 7" monitor to mount on the dash. But it only works in reverse. Not really what most of us are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylZSsi3RHqs
    Oops...overlooked the video stream you had attached. Very helpful. Thanks, folks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I ordered the camera kit with my new truck and had it installed. I really like it, much better picture than the Furrion sustem I had before. The picture on the Furrion was pretty bad when driving down the road, freeze ups and pretty grainy pic. The Ford system uses your 8 inch dash display also so no more screens and cords everywhere. Here's a pic at my storage lot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear cam (2).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	28799
    Wondering how it was installed. Hardwired, I suspect. How is is connected from the camera to the truck‘s screen? Did Ford provide the camera? Does the camera have a light for nighttime backing or does the trailer have backup lights? (As you can see, I am a novice in need of help and want to hear from real experts on the road...)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    Wondering how it was installed. Hardwired, I suspect. How is is connected from the camera to the truck‘s screen? Did Ford provide the camera? Does the camera have a light for nighttime backing or does the trailer have backup lights? (As you can see, I am a novice in need of help and want to hear from real experts on the road...)
    Sorry Yooper I missed this post. I had my RV dealer mount the camera on the trailer and remove the Furrion I was using. I copied an idea from another member here (thanks @bertschb) and ran the camera cable down the roof to the satellite cable port and covered it with eternabond tape. It drops down into the front bay and from there up into the pinbox area. The camera kit shipped with the truck and included plenty of cable to reach front to back, close to 45 ft of cable! My truck has the pro trailer backup assist so it came with the 12 pin plug in the bed next to the std 7 pin. The 2020 kit includes the joint harness for the yaw sensor. It's a pretty sweet plug and play setup and the picture is great, even at night. Here's a couple more pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera (2).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	28909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof (2).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	28910
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Sorry Yooper I missed this post. I had my RV dealer mount the camera on the trailer and remove the Furrion I was using. I copied an idea from another member here (thanks @bertschb) and ran the camera cable down the roof to the satellite cable port and covered it with eternabond tape. It drops down into the front bay and from there up into the pinbox area. The camera kit shipped with the truck and included plenty of cable to reach front to back, close to 45 ft of cable! My truck has the pro trailer backup assist so it came with the 12 pin plug in the bed next to the std 7 pin. The 2020 kit includes the joint harness for the yaw sensor. It's a pretty sweet plug and play setup and the picture is great, even at night. Here's a couple more pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera (2).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	28909

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof (2).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	28910
    Sounds like a plan. I also plan to hook up an in-box receptacle (Ford OEM part #HC3Z-15A416-A) so the power cable stays in my pickup box. I assume this should all work together. How do you feel about not seeing what is behind the trailer while you are motoring?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I also plan to hook up an in-box receptacle (Ford OEM part #HC3Z-15A416-A) so the power cable stays in my pickup box. I assume this should all work together. How do you feel about not seeing what is behind the trailer while you are motoring?
    That part doesn't really bother me, those big ole factory mirrors give plenty of view for lane changing etc. The Furrion worked (barely) as an observation camera but the picture was bad and would freeze up often when running down the road. I figured that from the little antenna on the camera to the antenna on the monitor was about 55 feet. That's a lot to ask of a blue tooth signal, surprised it worked at all!
    Jeff

Mark Virginia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the camera and TPMS kit from Ford when we purchased our 2018 F350 SRW Sort bed diesel. We own a 2018 Solitude 310k. I have yet to install the system. I have several issues. The first is running the cable. I like the roof tape solution. Did you run your cable through the pin box? It seems really tight. This is the optimum routing since you can then plug it into the bed fifth wheel receptacle. But you will need to purchase a receptacle conversion to accept the plug (Nichols Manufacturing). The other option is to plug it into the bumper receptacle. I did have the dealer install the receptacle conversion, which comes with the kit. But I worry about cord dragging and was looking at cord tenders. Really seems Ford designed this for a trailer and not a Fith Wheel.

My other issue is the TPMS system. The best I can tell, the monitoring valve stems that come with the kit are too small for the Solitude wheels. Bigger valve stems need to be purchased. I found them, but it’s another purchase. Plus I’ll have to have the new valves mounted. I’ll loose my nitro fill. I estimated another $500 to get everything, and that is with me doing the cable routing. Are you using the TPMS and did you have to get new valve stems?

I really like the idea of this being integrated into the Ford system. But it seems like an awful lot of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast