Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh Patch or Doggie Lawn?

Hello!
    Has anyone tried using a portable "dog potty patch" on their patio? I'm very worried about the stairs with one of my dogs, and while I will modify the stairs with rubber treads and backings, I was considering trying a portable potty patch on our new side patio (Momentum 399TH) for those times that it's dark or just hard to get her to go. I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with them!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! While we have no doggie patch experience but my thoughts are that if it were my trailer I would not start my dog peeing on the patio. Seems that will lead to peeing inside. A good dog ramp will make your life easier and help keep the trailer cleaner. We have used a ramp for 2 different dogs, one in a doggie wheel chair and wouldn't think of going without a dog ramp if we have a dog that has mobility issues.

What kind of problems is your dog having?

I'm not saying this to be mean but part of camping with your dog is going out at night in the dark.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-09-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there. She's just a crochety old stubborn little chihuahua who is scared of everything. I know the stairs are going to be a problem, but I'm hoping some mods can eventually get her used to them. I worry that a ramp will have to be too steep, but we do have one that we use for the car that we can try.

She's completely house broken (except during thunderstorms and fireworks) so I don't think she'd start going inside. But I've read some more online reviews about these companies and it doesn't seem to be the wonderful idea that I first thought. She's going to hate it, but if she can't get over the stairs on her own I'll just have to pick her up and carry her down them!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different issue, but needed a similar solution. Our dogs try to jump from the truck cab or the trailer to the ground, they didn’t like the metal steps. Too hard on their joints to allow them to jump and carrying a Saint is not an option. Come to think about a portable doggie patch is not an option, hard to keep a litre of pee contained. We bought a folding 5 step stair from amazon, very well made. They also make a six step which makes the stairs easier for dogs to handle. Once they mastered entering/leaving the truck with the folding stairs, they started using the folding aluminum steps on the trailer, dogs, never cease to amaze.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I hadn't even thought about getting them in the truck! Another complication to worry about! My little one I can easily pick up, but the medium one won't let me pick her up so I'll have to look into a solution for that too. I'll check out options on Amazon, thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to have a dog that hated the stairs and would try to jump. Not just the feel of the stairs but it seemed he didn't like being able to see through them. Marcy took some carpeting to make them fit the steps draping them to make them feel better and cut the view. It worked.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WhittleBurner that’s the beauty of the folding steps the tread is wide the rise is short. I thought we might need something to close in the back but it is not needed