User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, I'm sure it's worse with new trucks and old trailers. But I have a 2020 351 and a 2019 F450, using a Gen2 Goosebox and a tall BW, just like you. It works, but the clearance isn't as much as I'd like, I can hit if I get too far off level. I have about 5in; and I'm towing nose high. Also, Ford put a little "lip" on the tailgate at the VERY back of it (for aerodynamics, I'm sure) that stick up about 3/4 of an in, that's the "hit point", because it's as far back on the truck as it can be and the high point. I'd be much better without that there.

That said; yes, my setup works, but it's not optimal. Because the 450 is stupid high. It's just silly how high it is, it's a 450 people! It's not for blasting dunes or serious offroad work, it's for hauling a big trailer, typically a 5er or GN. Why on earth would you set it so high?! If it was an offroad monster, OK, I get it, then it's high for a reason, but, on a truck designed and setup to tow?! It just doesn't make sense, it would be like putting drag radials on a Raptor; why would you put tires like that on a truck designed to go offroad??

That said, my wife had an X5 diesel, 4WD, that came from the factory with 3 season track tires. So.. At least it's not just Ford that's building things that make no sense.

Well, your F450 is not the typical recreational tow vehicle. Certainly gaining in popularity though! To solve your issue, you could likely raise your 351 with blocks. The published height of the units is typically conservative. Do an actual measurement from the top of your forward AC shroud and see if you have room to work with. Also, I would bet that Sulastic has a solution to level out the rake and give you a better unladen ride. Now if you have even more money to burn (this is not an inexpensive lifestyle - LOL), MorRyde can setup your 351 with a custom IFS to the exacting height needed. I was just there on Tuesday and saw several GD's getting the treatment (and drooled over the Luxe units getting 10K axle IFS).
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-01-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Overtaxed that's so strange that you can only get 5" of rail clearance with your 450. On my 2019 F350 dually I have 6" easily with the B&W set on the highest setting, 18.5 inches I think it is. On the '20 F450 I had the exact same clearance, same hitch same trailer different truck. What made a nice improvement in clearance was switching to the MorRyde pin box. That moved me up to over 7 inches of clearance and the trailer tows level. What hitch and pin box are you using? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin box (2).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	29900 You can see the rail clearance in this pic.
    Last edited by Txfivver; 10-01-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Over on the Ford truck forum (FTE/Ford Truck Enthusiasts), people have put shorter blocks on the rear axle of the truck. I don't have any personal experience with that.

Rob
    I wondered about that as well. The ironic thing is the truck was leveled in the front, so raised about 2.5"....was riding crazy rough and discovered the original shocks were still in the front. Changed those out and really improved the ride and handling....and of course I'll have to undo all that if I lower the rear - will need to put the front back to stock and I suppose probably have to swap the shocks back out....hoping that is a measure of last resort.
    Spock and Lucy
    Future GD owners (hopefully)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The equalizers used in modern trailer suspensions give you some wiggle room and will redistribute the load equally to both axles when not totally level. Towing level is best overall from load distribution and aerodynamics. If you have to run out of level, you want it to be on the nose high side and not nose low. Given the "range" of the equalizers, that nose high shouldn't be much more than an inch. Nose low is a problem with bed rail clearance and the force transfer when braking (unless you've set your trailer brakes to tug on the TV).

If you want to tow goose, I highly recommend the Reese Goosebox. VERY pleased with our Gen2 Goosebox, and I run the tall BW drop-in goose ball in my RAM factory puck setup. The pinbox wingsets and modern trailer heights work just fine with taller modern trucks and traditional 5er hitches or Goosebox. Camping trailers are now coming with 19.5" and 22.5" commercial trailer wheels even! It's the mismatch of new trucks, old campers that are problem.
    We are aiming for the goosebox for sure - hoping it will work out. Supposed to pick up end of next week....fingers crossed
    Spock and Lucy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    @Overtaxed that's so strange that you can only get 5" of rail clearance with your 450.What hitch and pin box are you using?.
    I have the Goosbox (20K) and the B/W high rise ball. So that could be some of it. Also, I'm measuring clearance from the back lip of my tailgate, I suspect measured from the side rails, I might have closer to 6. It's "enough", but it can get REAL close if anything is off kilter. Highways/roads are fine, it's really when you take it into a park or when I park it at home (which I've fixed, nothing like a little tractor time to level things off more) that it gets a little sweat inducing. I'd like to stop sweating and get another 1-2", but, sadly, the only way I can see to do that is raising the trailer. As others have suggested, I'm going to measure it hooked and see what my real height is. If I can add 2" without going over 13'6", I'll go down that route. I just don't want to stop sweating about the bed rails and then start sweating about the AC units because I'm over 13'6"!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I just don't want to stop sweating about the bed rails and then start sweating about the AC units because I'm over 13'6"!
    Yeah that's too much sweating lol.Well good luck, hope you get it figured out. I've thought hard about the goosebox as well but I think I'd loose too much turning ability, it drops pretty far down into the bed and I think it would hit the bed side on sharp turns. The 450's as you know like sharp turns and the MorRyde is almost flat and clears nicely.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a similar problem with our 2017 F350 DRW 4X4 and Solitude 369RL The trailer is 3 inches high in the front and the rear of the trailer's hitch is hitting the rails of our Retrax retractable tonneau cover. After much research our solution is to lower our truck. Based on the Ford Forum, it looks to be a relatively simple process. Good luck to you.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    We have a similar problem with our 2017 F350 DRW 4X4 and Solitude 369RL The trailer is 3 inches high in the front and the rear of the trailer's hitch is hitting the rails of our Retrax retractable tonneau cover. After much research our solution is to lower our truck. Based on the Ford Forum, it looks to be a relatively simple process. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for that - hoping we don't have to go that route but nice to know that's an option. I suspect the extra couple of inches gained lowering the truck would be all we needed.
    Spock and Lucy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined the Reese Goosebox FB group to get some opinions from owners with this hitch. This picture (there was also a video on his Instagram account) would scare the crap out of me. He claims to have 9” of bed clearance when level and watching the video this is not much of a hill. He came close to the tailgate contacting the underside of the fifth wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FADC0A99-1CA8-4F1E-A1E6-45A81AC4B19B.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	29976

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radcolt View Post
    I joined the Reese Goosebox FB group to get some opinions from owners with this hitch. This picture (there was also a video on his Instagram account) would scare the crap out of me. He claims to have 9” of bed clearance when level and watching the video this is not much of a hill. He came close to the tailgate contacting the underside of the fifth wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FADC0A99-1CA8-4F1E-A1E6-45A81AC4B19B.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	29976
    Hi-centering happens, and as the driver you need to be conscious of what conditions will cause it with your setup. In a case like this, one would not approach it perpendicular as this person has.
    Instead, it should be surmounted at a minor angle and this would alleviate the high-center. At least the goose allows the pivot being on a ball. On a pin, the stress would be damage causing in a different way.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast