User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A real dumb embarassing question about ladders

I've always had a real phobia of ladders.
    We got a new Imagine 2800BH a couple years ago.
    I could not get up the ladder 1/2 way, embarrassed to say my wife was the one clearing the slide top before we got the topper.

I was able to back the Imagine up against the house under a window to crawl out the window for roof cleaning and seal inspection.
    Life was good.

Then we traded the Imagine for a Solitude 375RES last spring.
    I bought a 32 inch wide, 12 foot tall step ladder so I can access the upper walls for maintenance such as cleaning and waxing.
    It took a lot of repeated climbing that 12 foot ladder until I gained a reasonable confidence to work with my head at roof level.

The 375RES is a whole other category of monster in size compared to the Imagine.
    Backing the rig to the house for window access is no longer an option.

I have a short step ladder that allows me to access the main RV ladder in the back.
    I'm able to make a slow and terrifying climb on the RV ladder until I can just peer over the edge of the roof.

I'm braving the climb every few days up to that same level on the ladder until I sort of get used to it but I have a long way to go until I'm reasonably comfortable.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how people make the transfer from the ladder to the roof safely.
    I searched YouTube for video instructions how to safely transverse an RV ladder but haven't found any.
    There's tons of videos about extension ladders but the RV ladder ends a few inches above the RV roof while you put an extension ladder several feet above for stability.

If you examine the pic below, you can see the step ladder in the back.
    The rig is parked on a bit of a hill that raises the rear 2-3 feet so the roof is actually about 16 feet off the ground that doesn't help with my issue.
    One thing we didn't count on with the 375 vs our Imagine was the weight on the ground. It would be great to pull the rig forward off that decline to effectively "raise the ground" to make the bi-daily climb easier but that's not an option for the weight distributing boards I use. I can't keep it pulled forward and leave it there for city code.

I live in a rural area and haven't found any mobile techs, nor anyone who washes RV's professionally who may do the inspection.
    My nearest GrandDesign dealer is +2hrs away and they wrecked my Imagine when it was there for warranty work so I want to keep my Solitude away as much as possible.

I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall, about 250lbs and 60 years old.
    I keep telling myself that I can do this ladder climbing but really struggling.

My other option is trying a general maintenance service like Home Advisor or Angie's list. Maybe someone can come out from there.

It's too high, too scary for my wife too.
    Any ideas?
    Any ladder tips?
    Anybody else in the same situation?
    This is a long post. -Thanks for any input you may have.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201004_104116.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	30147
    Last edited by SteveFury; 10-14-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking setup!

Not sure if the Solitude has the roof handles above the ladder like the Momentums do. I just hold on to the roof handle while I get my legs on the roof, vice versa for getting down. I go up on mine frequently, and the height doesnt bother me, maybe you just need to practice and it wont seem so bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Invest is a good quality Wagner extension ladder (16') and get the side rail extensions available aftermarket. https://www.guardianfall.com/perform...tension-system You will need some way of cushioning the back edge of the trailer(split a pool noodle). Set it beside the RV ladder for side support and tie the two together. I would pull the trailer forward to do this to lessen the roof angle. Think it cant fall down if tied together (Velcro straps would work well). With the extra height and tied to the RV ladder you will have a good solid handhold to step on the roof. Now when on the roof CRAWL!!!! that's what I do. Get some good knee pads and non slip tennis shoes. When working on an edge keep you body toward the trailer center. Always and I mean Always have a safety partner watching. Use a rope and bucket to get tools and supply up and down.

Last GO SLOW....and potty before getting up there
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this may sound ridiculous to some, but for you, once or twice a year, might be a real solution. Do you have a local tool rental? If so, many of them carry scissor and bucket lifts. Very easy to learn to operate, and if you can tow a 5er you can tow one of these home. Rental cost usually isn't bad. I personally rent an AWD platform lift each year to pressure wash the house. Just a thought.

Another thought is that you could build or buy a stairway to roof level complete with handrail and to step-off height.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That RV ladder is not made for safe access to the roof as it doesn't extend high enough to step off or onto it easily. Industrial ladder safety teaches that a ladder should extend at least 3 feet above the landing to get on and off of it. Also it should be staked or lashed off to prevent movement. Maybe a simple straight extension ladder that you prop against the side would be an answer. Lashing it to an RV roof is difficult but tying it off at the base to a wheel or having someone foot the ladder while you climb might help calm your apprehension. You are not the only one fearful at heights.
    These may be another solution: https://www.fsindustries.com/more_in..._ladders.shtml
    I worked many industrial facilities where these types of ladders were distributed throughout.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-15-2020 at 05:21 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you back your truck up close to the ladder? Having something large and elevated under you may change your perception of height and make you more comfortable.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d suggest that you use the “3-point” rule. Always keep three points of contact. That’s either two hands and a foot or two feet and a hand. In other words, as you move up the ladder, if you’re bringing a foot up a rung, keep both hands firmly attached. Once you have moved your foot/feet up a rung, keep both feet in place and move your hands up, one at a time.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I have my TT at home I do NOT use the ladder on the trailer. It is not safe for me. Too small and difficult a transition. I use an extension ladder with padding that allows me to climb up the ladder and step off onto the roof. When I am on the road I don't get on the roof. I look at that ladder as an emergency access to roof only. Used only if something needs to be repaired. I think RV manufacturers put the ladder on their so buyers would stop asking, "Is that a walkable roof?" Those are not safe ladders if you are following safety standards set for the use of a ladder. They are more like the ladder I had on my tree house when I was 10 and invincible.

If you really can't get up there then the suggestion by @geotex1 is perfect. And if you did need to get on the roof to inspect something closer it would be an easy step out of of the bucket and on to the roof. You would probably want to look for a Hydraulic Spider Boom Lift similar to this one. In your picture it looks like you may have plenty of room next to the 5er to set this up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-15_8-24-03.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	30148
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not comfortable on ladders and weary of getting on and off your RV's roof -- stay off the ladder and the roof! It is not worth the risk. Find someone to do it for you. There really doesn't seem to be a good solution for uneasiness or folks unsure of how to use tools other than paying someone to take the risk.

I fell from a ladder once and when I sent to the emergency room the nurses told me that they get a lot of ladder injury "visitors" - more than for most other things. That was a long time ago so things may have changed. So now I still use them, I don't go on any more steep roofs or high heights and my wife always holds and ladder I climb - even my short, 8 foot ladder. And for things I can't do because of heights or ladders I find someone to do them for me. I sold my extension ladder.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is that you use one of the folding extension ladders to go just high enough to look over the tops of the slides. Take a cordless leaf blower and blow off any leaves/pine needles, etc. that are up there.

I fell off my ladder at home cleaning gutters 12 years ago (age 57), and spent 2 months in bed after breaking both legs. That day, many men were in the emergency room with various serious injuries. If you're uncomfortable going high on ladders and getting up on the roof, it's not worth the risk going up there.

I do get up on my roof only about twice per year for inspection. Otherwise, I see no reason to climb my rv ladder.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast