User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing from your local Dealer

In our pursuit for the perfect rig to fit our every want and desire, We're drawn to the Momentum 376THS. Currently waiting on delivery to our "local" dealer (55 miles away) to tour the design and decide if this will meet our needs or to keep looking? The official GD website dealer locator shows only 3 dealers in Missouri. Our first visit to our local was very pleasant. The salesman Russ, was friendly and willing to show us around even though we have no plans to purchase until closer to retirement late next year or early 22. He has also been in regular contact to keep me updated on when the next 376 will arrive on the lot so he can show us around. So far, I have no problems purchasing from this dealership when we are ready to pull the trigger. Russ explained to us, any GD dealer will service our rig while we are traveling to include warranty work and general repairs. However, when not traveling GD expects the owner to get repairs and service at the dealer from whom they purchased the rig. Ok, this makes sense. But what if your local dealer is less than reputable, you are unable to get the deal you're looking for locally, or you purchase outside your home state? I've searched multiple posts where owners are frustrated by lackluster service departments, long wait times, fees for warranty verification, ect. As I have 3 dealerships within 100 miles, I have a one in three chance of finding the deal I want and the service I expect after the sale. maybe, this local dealership will be great in every respect? Maybe it won't? I guess this just confuses me? If my purchasing dealer service department is booked for months, am I stuck or can I drive to another dealership a bit further away for the work? I can buy a GM, Ford, or Ram truck anywhere that gives me the best deal and get it worked on anywhere that gives me the best service. If I can save 5K by going into Kansas do I have to plan all my maintenance in Kansas as well? Is this the same with all manufacturer's? Am I just reading too much into this?
    Thanks in advance for your insights - Mike

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAKE ZERO purchasing decision on expectation of dealer service - does not matter what brand. Otherwise, you will be sorely disappointment and frustrated. Buy where you can get the best overall purchase deal, and then seek out an independent technicians to help with any issues and look to do as much as you can do yourself. GD will work with you in the form of reimbursements when it comes to warranty items. For regular maintenance of bearings for instance, any type of trailer shop can do this work and practically any mechanic at all willing.

If you spend some time reading the forum (and other camper forums) you will learn the RV manufacturer-dealer model is NOTHING like the automobile manufacturer-dealer model. RV dealers run their shop any way they like, and RV manufacturers have no power at all over them. The best the manufacturer can do is try to persuade and negotiate. Keep in mind the DEALERS are the manufacturer's customers, not you as the final owner. Yes, the selling dealer has an obligation to honor warranty repairs, but in no way, shape, or form does that mean you're going get priority. Generally, it is the direct opposite in that the dealers will service their shop-rate paying customers first and leave warranty work for slow day fill-ins. Unfortunately, this has been the case for many years now. In fact, the last time we personally had an exceptional RV dealer in every respect was in 1998!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say buying an RV is closer to buying a new house with all new appliances included. If you have a problem with the refrigerator in the first year you don't call the home builders you call Whirlpool.

As @geotex1 stated, it is nothing like buying a new car. If that is what you are expecting you will be disappointed.

An example of how screwed up it is. We purchased our trailer from Lazy Days in Tampa 2-1/4 hours from our house. There is another Lazy Days in Wildwood only 20 minutes from our house and right across the street from our storage facility.

When we were picking up our TT at LD in Tampa I asked if we needed warranty work can we have it done in Wildwood. "Oh yeah, no problem me." BS I checked with Wildwood who does not sell GD. They said they cannot do GD warranty work. I would have to take it to Tampa. They'll be happy to do work on anything if you're paying.

I knowingly bought a new TT expecting to have to do my own work.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    MAKE ZERO purchasing decision on expectation of dealer service - does not matter what brand. Otherwise, you will be sorely disappointment and frustrated. Buy where you can get the best overall purchase deal, and then seek out an independent technicians to help with any issues and look to do as much as you can do yourself. GD will work with you in the form of reimbursements when it comes to warranty items. For regular maintenance of bearings for instance, any type of trailer shop can do this work and practically any mechanic at all willing.

If you spend some time reading the forum (and other camper forums) you will learn the RV manufacturer-dealer model is NOTHING like the automobile manufacturer-dealer model. RV dealers run their shop any way they like, and RV manufacturers have no power at all over them. The best the manufacturer can do is try to persuade and negotiate. Keep in mind the DEALERS are the manufacturer's customers, not you as the final owner. Yes, the selling dealer has an obligation to honor warranty repairs, but in no way, shape, or form does that mean you're going get priority. Generally, it is the direct opposite in that the dealers will service their shop-rate paying customers first and leave warranty work for slow day fill-ins. Unfortunately, this has been the case for many years now. In fact, the last time we personally had an exceptional RV dealer in every respect was in 1998!
    I fully agree with this and know while GD or any manufacturer prefer you have service performed by your local dealer, you are not obligated to do so and can choose another dealer for service if the one you bought from does not perform well. As Rob & Nikki indicated, I too prefer to do as much repair work myself as possible, even warranty and for work I cannot do or is big expense, I have had mobile RV techs perform the warranty work.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

So, just to make sure I understand. The GD "official" website (and probably many other manufacturers as well) don't sell direct so, point you to the nearest GD dealer in your area. Since the dealerships have service departments that need your money as well, They give the impression, repairs and maintenance will be next to impossible to obtain from any other GD dealership unless I'm traveling because I didn't purchase from them. I knew I could do service and repairs myself, or take it to anyone willing to do the work for the right price. It was the warranty stuff primarily. The things already paid for in the purchase price. It changes things when (as you explained), I'm not a GD customer, I'm a No Name RV sales customer. I've been lucky. We purchased our current TT from an exceptional RV dealer! Unfortunately, they don't sell GD. When we're ready to order, it's good to know I can shop around for the best deal.
    As long as YouTube stays in business, I'm confident I can fix just about anything. I just got the impression somewhere that recalls and warranty work had to be done at the same place the rig was purchased? Thank you all for the advice and clarification. - Mike

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought ours 2 1/2 hours away from the house with a Grand Design dealer 20 minutes away. Our decision was driven by a time constraint and what was available that checked our boxes. We are scheduled back for a service trip at the end of December and probably our last one later than that. The best part is that there is a great campground close by and lots of stuff to do. Hopefully we will have time to order what we want. As with most dealerships, the service department is their weakest link.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased from Coachlight in Carthage. Great sale and service and they were about 4k under our nearest dealer. YMMV.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired